• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: World's End Harem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Maybe should have given this series to a reviewer who enjoys harem/ecchi series. Would really enjoy that kind of diversity on here. 1 star? Oof, that's way too harsh, especially this episode.
Doi story was actually pretty good and it serves as to what is to come later on for him. He changes a ton. Sorry the story tries and adds a believable bullying element. I don't get what you want from this series, haha! So confusing.
I've read the whole manga (at least the first part 1-12) and actually really enjoyed it. Early on it's over the top but it knows what it is and honestly Worlds End does a pretty good job of it. Same as DxD and others.

Last edited by Casval Rem Deikun on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
SigTheSauceMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:51 pm Reply with quote
You called it so well I HAVE to spoil it: spoiler[Doi does indeed become a gigachad sex machine after his caretaker puts him through a aging-up machine.] It's gonna happen real soon.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:00 pm Reply with quote
SigTheSauceMan wrote:
You called it so well I HAVE to spoil it: spoiler[Doi does indeed become a gigachad sex machine after his caretaker puts him through a aging-up machine.] It's gonna happen real soon.

Considering this will only have 11 episodes and what can be seen in the opening, I don't think the anime will reach this point.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:12 pm Reply with quote
This will easily be one of my favorites of 2022
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
Maybe should have given this series to a reviewer who enjoys harem/ecchi series. Would really enjoy that kind of diversity on here. 1 star? Oof, that's way too harsh, especially this episode.

I see we're back to the tired old "get a different reviewer" schtick the moment people don't agree with the review. Always comes up in T&A shows when the reviewer doesn't gush over it. It's almost as if people aren't allowed to have a different opinion and others just want to be spoon fed what they want to hear.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:

I see we're back to the tired old "get a different reviewer" schtick the moment people don't agree with the review. Always comes up in T&A shows when the reviewer doesn't gush over it. It's almost as if people aren't allowed to have a different opinion and others just want to be spoon fed what they want to hear.

im not a fan either of those types either, though at times they have a point!

for ever since love hina in the 90's, highschool dxd ( in the early 2010 i believe ) & most recentlt, interspecies reviewers were released , those three anime more or less set the bar for some reviwers when it comes to BOTH the harem genre AND the ecchi/fanservice genre as a whole. anything less and its considered trash fanservice series ala UQ HOLDER, valkyrie drive, queens blade, infinite stratos, trinity seven, to aru majustu no index series, kodomo no jikan, GATE (the manga is far more graphic in its fanservice compared to the anime) , shinmai mao no testament or just recently, REDO OF HEALER!

it also hurts WEH's case that like in redo, GATE and kodomo no jikan's case the source materials are unavailable in the US!

personally they (meaning the production committee) should just skip the storylines that are considered trash and do the chapters that were well received by manga viewers! its the only way for it to avoid the same fate as redo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:04 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

it also hurts WEH's case that like in redo, GATE and kodomo no jikan's case the source materials are unavailable in the US!

I think you might be getting mixed up, because World's End Harem's manga is most definitely available in the US. I should know, I sent to first volume to a friend as a gag christmas gift a few years back. A quick search on RighStuf shows there's currently 12 volumes available in English, alongside 6 volumes of the "Fantasia" spinoff series.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
Doi story was actually pretty good and it serves as to what is to come later on for him. He changes a ton. Sorry the story tries and adds a believable bullying element. I don't get what you want from this series, haha! So confusing.
I've read the whole manga (at least the first part 1-12) and actually really enjoyed it. Early on it's over the top but it knows what it is and honestly Worlds End does a pretty good job of it. Same as DxD and others.

Buddy, this show has gotten straight 2s on the Community Score so far. 2.1 for episode 1, 2.2 for episode 2, and 2.8 for episode 3. Pretty sure this isn't a case of "The reviewer just doesn't understand how great it is." Also, reviews are just that, reviews. They're people's opinions. They don't have to be positive.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:45 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
I've read through the manga and the above poster is correct, it gets much deeper than it appears in the beginning. Just give it a chance.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that ANN editors and reviewers are so critical of the series. This is the same site the vilified moe shows and fanservice shows (as though they're the same thing) for the longest time and treated harem anime like some kind of sinful blight upon the anime pathos.

When I heard the premise of this anime, I figured it had a lot of room to become intellectual, commentative, or to delve deeper into interesting themes while being both a fanservice wish fulfillment series and a subversion of those things. I'm going to give the series an open-minded look once it's finished (or at least once this cour is finished), but having watched episode one, it doesn't seem bad. A few silly and dumb decisions here and there, but nothing that breaks the show. Kind of reminds me of how I thoroughly enjoyed the Oreimo despite hearing nothing but awful things about it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:06 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Honestly, I'm not surprised that ANN editors and reviewers are so critical of the series. This is the same site the vilified moe shows and fanservice shows (as though they're the same thing) for the longest time and treated harem anime like some kind of sinful blight upon the anime pathos.

Several of the reviewers and mods were pretty passionately defensive of My Dress-Up Darling, in opposition to criticism of its second episode (including criticism from yours truly), which was full of animated T&A. I don't think it's fair to skewer ANN's reviewers as wholly unwilling to give shows with heavy fan service any kind of deeper look.

WEH is just kind of poorly written. Doi's backstory was a little more substantive, I guess, but intensely trite -- and the reviewer was very clear in his first review that he was mostly looking for this show to be dumb fun, given it was clear it has very limited artistic aspirations or creative skill behind it. It's perfectly natural that he'd give a low rating to an episode that tries to buck that impression and doesn't do so nearly well enough to move WEH anywhere near well written. Really, he even says this explicitly in the latest review; the reasoning behind his rating couldn't have been much clearer.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:38 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Lol, that's two seasons in a row of somebody trying to accuse Steve, of all reviewers on this site, of hating fanservice. Have y'all seen this man's twitter RTs?

Maybe, instead of anyone who thinks this show is bad having a personal hatred for cheesecake, it's possible that fanservice shows can be good and bad on their own terms the same as any subgenre, and this one just isn't very good.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea of fans of a show wanting to read positive opinions of said show over the negative ones. Makes them feel better about liking that thing, and all that. I know reading negative opinions about shows I like make me feel a little bit ashamed to not hate them like the reviewer who talked about it does. But if the site they normally frequent isn't giving them the opinion they feel most comfortable hearing, whining about it on the open forum isn't going to do any good. Search for the opinions you want to hear yourself, even if it means wading through the negativity you so desperately want to avoid to find it.

(Just so everyone's aware, I'm not watching World's End Harem, nor do I intend to watch it. I'm just voicing my opinion on this broader concept that just so happens to apply to the show, that's all.)
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea of fans of a show wanting to read positive opinions of said show over the negative ones. Makes them feel better about liking that thing...Search for the opinions you want to hear yourself, even if it means wading through the negativity you so desperately want to avoid to find it.

This feels like the script for an infomerical about a program that wants to teach you to love your social media bubble Shocked
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been watching the show, but I'm not surprised by the review on this recent episode. Doi's arc is where I dropped the manga. I didn't get up to the part @SigTheSauceMan mentioned from what I remember, but I lost whatever interest I had left as the story continued to focus on him.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This show has so many people falling on their swords for it so hard and it's hilariously amazing. Keep up the good fight Steve!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7