• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:

Colt was carrying it on his back. He mentioned it's an anti-titan rifle last episode

Ah, right. Going back it's obvious, though it wasn't shown after the transformation took him out. Guess it was hidden in the smoke? Still seemed a bit forced imo.
Tenbinzan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I remember back when the Zeke/Eren meeting first aired during Pt. 1... someone on ANN theorized that Eren wouldn't go through with the euthanization plan because Zeke and Eren's "handshake" cut away with the baseball mid-air, and you never see Eren catch the ball (i.e., never see him seal the deal with Zeke). Well, congrats to that commenter. You nailed it. Very Happy

Anyway, this episode was great! I especially liked how MAPPA animated the memory shards / paths sequence. It seems like they were inspired by the "stargate sequence" from 2001: A Space Odyssey (especially the close-ups on the blinking eye).

Last edited by Tenbinzan on Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenbinzan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:02 pm Reply with quote
A quick note about Crunchyroll's subs: They made an error when Zeke explains the paths realm to Eren. The subs say, "Here, everything passes in an instant." But it's the opposite. He was saying that what seems like years and years in the paths realm passes by in an instant outside, in the real world. Here's the manga's official translation of the same line: "What takes place here passes in a flash out there."

I was also a bit disappointed that Crunchy's subs went with plain ol' "brother" throughout Zeke and Colt's conversation, when they were specifically talking about their little brothers (otōto). I mean, the entire episode is about big bros and their desire to protect their lil bros (hence the Japanese title, "Big Brother(s) and Little Brother(s)"), so it's kind of important.... Oh, well. That's my nitpick this week. Razz
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:43 am Reply with quote
With the current pace, a film might actually materialize unless they do Final Season Part 3 with 7-9 episodes which won't fit any regular TV slots....
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Taederias wrote:
Matros wrote:
Enjoyed the first 2 episodes, but the adaptation rate for part 2 (episode 2 adapted less than a chapter) makes me question the fast pacing of part 1 even more. I wish they didn't omit so many panels back then.

Less than a chapter? Episode 2 started out at a point inside chapter 117, and ended right at the very end of chapter 118.

Point is the pacing is a mess ever since S4 started. But people will find a way to defend anything.

The pacing has been a mess since season freaking one, and was one of the biggest complains about it back then, since they would waste 2-5 minutes in recaps and slow down the pacing for the anime to end the first major arcs at the end of each cour.

Then there was the rushed mess that was Season 3 Part 1 that even omitted an entire major character essential to Historia's development in the manga. Then there was the final episodes of Season 3 Part 2 that rushed arguably the most important flashback in the story and gave us a very distilled version of it. But yeah, you will find people defending anything, right? lol

Hopefully not forgetting that the adaptation from Wit wasn't the best and extremely detrimental to Mikasa's character, since they shafted her hard in the early seasons and substituted her plot points (including the little romance with Eren) with other characters doing her part instead (particularly Armin). Reason why she is much better developed in the manga while anime watchers found her character to be flat.
Taederias

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
The pacing has been a mess since season freaking one, and was one of the biggest complains about it back then, since they would waste 2-5 minutes in recaps and slow down the pacing for the anime to end the first major arcs at the end of each cour.

Then there was the rushed mess that was Season 3 Part 1 that even omitted an entire major character essential to Historia's development in the manga. Then there was the final episodes of Season 3 Part 2 that rushed arguably the most important flashback in the story and gave us a very distilled version of it. But yeah, you will find people defending anything, right? lol

Hopefully not forgetting that the adaptation from Wit wasn't the best and extremely detrimental to Mikasa's character, since they shafted her hard in the early seasons and substituted her plot points (including the little romance with Eren) with other characters doing her part instead (particularly Armin). Reason why she is much better developed in the manga while anime watchers found her character to be flat.

There are valid concerns about how some stuff was changed before, but at least for this cour so far, there is virtually nothing that has been left out, you can almost point out for each panel of every chapter which part it corresponds to in the anime — and the animation & sound is used to good effect to even further enrich certain moments. I fully intend to give credit where credit’s due, regardless of what came before. But then again, you will find people complaining about anything, right? Wink

They might (well, they likely will) have difficulty maintaining that completely going forward, but at the very least this current few episodes, which constitutes one of the all-time peaks in the story, is being handled really well (in my opinion, of course).
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Taederias wrote:
danpmss wrote:

There are valid concerns about how some stuff was changed before, but at least for this cour so far, there is virtually nothing that has been left out, you can almost point out for each panel of every chapter which part it corresponds to in the anime — and the animation & sound is used to good effect to even further enrich certain moments. I fully intend to give credit where credit’s due, regardless of what came before. But then again, you will find people complaining about anything, right? Wink

They might (well, they likely will) have difficulty maintaining that completely going forward, but at the very least this current few episodes, which constitutes one of the all-time peaks in the story, is being handled really well (in my opinion, of course).

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think MAPPA is doing a much better job with their adapted content than Wit, since no character was butchered (even the distilled backstory for Reiner basically just trimmed the fat a bit in Final Season Part 1). The pacing being all over the place is just a common element with Shingeki no Kyojin even in the manga, and it's something so minor to criticize that it barely hurts the content in any way (just made it sort of a pain in the butt to read monthly, particularly in the Uprising arc).

I don't even consider it to be detrimental at all if you are binging through it in one go, at that, and wouldn't reduce my score because of it anyway. If you want a heavily padded disaster of a pacing, take One Piece's anime as an example of that being legitimately problematic.

I see nothing wrong with the pacing right now for this season, I was just pointing out how ironic it is that the previously quoted user tried to single out the studio that caused the least problems regarding pace as the one being problematic lol

Starting from S4, the pacing has never been better, with the exception perhaps of most of S2.
Taederias

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:08 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think MAPPA is doing a much better job with their adapted content than Wit, since no character was butchered (even the distilled backstory for Reiner basically just trimmed the fat a bit in Final Season Part 1). The pacing being all over the place is just a common element with Shingeki no Kyojin even in the manga, and it's something so minor to criticize that it barely hurts the content in any way (just made it sort of a pain in the butt to read monthly, particularly in the Uprising arc).

I don't even consider it to be detrimental at all if you are binging through it in one go, at that, and wouldn't reduce my score because of it anyway. If you want a heavily padded disaster of a pacing, take One Piece's anime as an example of that being legitimately problematic.

I see nothing wrong with the pacing right now for this season, I was just pointing out how ironic it is that the previously quoted user tried to single out the studio that caused the least problems regarding pace as the one being problematic lol

Starting from S4, the pacing has never been better, with the exception perhaps of most of S2.

Oh alright then. Smile Actually I realized right after making my post that you probably actually meant to do the exact opposite of criticizing the current pacing, but decided to let it stand as it is because there wasn’t anything incorrect in it per se.

I, too, like to consider the merits of the narrative without placing it in the context of watching piece by piece and waiting (sometimes for months / years in between) — that is just an unfortunate side effect of the nature writing any story or producing a show. (Side note: One Piece I haven’t actually dared touch at all, I mean you could fit 10 copies of the entire AoT franchise in that episode count, or watch like 40 two-cour animes with varied and complete stories instead, it’s ridiculous.)
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 79:

Well, as the saying goes, "What are daddy issues? Just traumatize your father back" Laughing

Major props to Grisha's VA. The scene outside the chapel was chilling, and everything about his breakdown and apology to Zeke was so good.

I also couldn't help but get hit by a wave of nostalgia revisiting those memorable scenes from season 1.

(manga spoilers) spoiler[On a side note, I'm interested to see what James is gonna think about the next episode, since it basically confirms Marley's propaganda about the Eldians ravaging the world was true.]
Taederias

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:09 pm Reply with quote
(manga spoilers) spoiler[On a side note, I'm interested to see what James is gonna think about the next episode, since it basically confirms Marley's propaganda about the Eldians ravaging the world was true.]

(manga spoilers)spoiler[Does it? I mean, the fact that there was an Eldian Empire was pretty certain based on the other perspectives we've heard already, and so was the fact that it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine, but that is just common sense too. Naturally, the conquest itself hurt a lot of people as it always does, as war always does. But were the Eldians ruling as devils over everyone just to make their life miserable out of pure wickedness? Over the entire existence of the empire? Doubtful. Even in that short snippet we see that both sides' stories had truth in them: even as the conquest was bloody, the titan power was also used to improve the land once rule has been established, and probably a lot of people benefitted from it over the centuries too. All it really shows as far as the character of Eldian rule is concerned is that the king back then was kind of a jerk.]
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Taederias wrote:

(manga spoilers)spoiler[Does it? I mean, the fact that there was an Eldian Empire was pretty certain based on the other perspectives we've heard already, and so was the fact that it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine, but that is just common sense too. Naturally, the conquest itself hurt a lot of people as it always does, as war always does. But were the Eldians ruling as devils over everyone just to make their life miserable out of pure wickedness? Over the entire existence of the empire? Doubtful. Even in that short snippet we see that both sides' stories had truth in them: even as the conquest was bloody, the titan power was also used to improve the land once rule has been established, and probably a lot of people benefitted from it over the centuries too. All it really shows as far as the character of Eldian rule is concerned is that the king back then was kind of a jerk.]

spoiler[Well, yeah, it does prove it. Just because we had our suspicions already doesn't really change anything. Sure, Marley probably never mentioned the ""good things"" that came out of the Eldian Empire, but pointing out the ""good things"" doesn't change the fact that empires are inherently racist. The problem here is the tone-deafness that comes from portraying a historically oppressed group of people, specifically ones inspired by the persecution of Jews, as the perpetrators of unbridled slaughter and genocide throughout history.

Mind you, I'm not saying Attack on Titan has a fascist message or something, but this is part of the ongoing discussion of whether Attack on Titan's appropiation of real world iconography and events is responsible or not.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:05 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[ The problem here is the tone-deafness that comes from portraying a historically oppressed group of people, specifically ones inspired by the persecution of Jews, as the perpetrators of unbridled slaughter and genocide throughout history.

Mind you, I'm not saying Attack on Titan has a fascist message or something, but this is part of the ongoing discussion of whether Attack on Titan's appropiation of real world iconography and events is responsible or not.]

"Tone Deafness"?
"whether Attack on Titan's appropriation of real world iconography and events is responsible or not"?

spoiler[Really? Given the ending really?

Attack on Titan can be said to be inclusive of all the crimes against humanity. Quite a few people remain unaware that our World is replete with examples of past and ongoing genocidal slaughters and extremism-s.

For example people tend to ignore the slaughter of tens of millions of innocent civilians who were murdered because of their race and or creed during WWII. They narrow in on the horror of the Jewish Holocaust and the camps.Which overlooks the gross slaughters that were committed by Imperial Japan during the "Asian Holocaust" 1937 - 1945 .
A estimated 21 million Chinese citizens died during that period,upwards of 14 million at the hands of Imperial Japan.

AoT's author does well to remind readers-even with it's time buggery,character retcons and plot hand waving ending- that mass genocide happens.]
Taederias

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I know I’m the one who started this with my reply, but maybe we should drop these entirely spoiler-filled discussions for now? Filling the thread with swathes of blacked-out text feels awkward, and there will be time enough for that discussion soon enough.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:43 am Reply with quote
I am very grateful and glad that James is able to spot and note some very on-the-nose political references in this episode. Would they affect my love for this series? Not really, this series have never been subtle about those any ways, but simply dismissing them as overreacting and overreaching is entirely different matter, and I appreciate James for at least have a rational and somber take on those references

PS: Attack Titan’s new power also gives some very weird implications to the plot. While Eren cannot see future at will, but could he at least prevent his mother’s death at the time? Could he at least do something in his days in survey corps (if so then Levi’s “are our sacrifices meaningless” view just got even sadder)? Those are all some possibilities (I stopped reading manga in chapter 115 in order to focus on anime, hopefully those questions can be indirectly or directly addressed)

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's just really weird for me to consider that the Eldians of this universe have at different times occupied the positions of the ruthless conquerors of the world as well as the marginalized and dehumanized minorities

Weird, why? The Mongolians and Manchus have been exactly that. The Aztecs were brutal slavers whose subject peoples eagerly joined with the Spanish to overthrow, and later oppresed, even if their conquests weren't world bestriding. Those in India who ill treated the Dalis into joining the British later found themselves oppressed.

The Copts are a minority in Egypt now. Everywhere you look in the world you can find former conquerors who latter become an oppressed minority, and whose opinion on minority rights changes. Han Chinese had their century of humiliation, and many Japanese felt that way after WWII, fairly or not. The Hoklo people on Taiwan were colonizers who had similar relationships with the Taiwanese Aboriginals as Americans to American Indians before they were later oppressed by those who fled with the KMT. And of course you will find those who say dreadful things about the treatment of Palestinians.

You have to have a very Eurocentric American viewpoint associated with the American Left in order to find this weird. The logic that everything is the same and it's always the same oppression is why my local school district decided it had to massively reduce the number of Asian students in magnet schools (and slightly increase the white percentage) in the name od fighting "white supremacy."

The Mongolians literally conquered more of the world than anyone else (only the limitations of technology in administering it meant that it was divided like others), and now they face slow motion cultural genocide.

Some people just have difficulty seeing outside of an American lens, regardless of their background.

The Russians have been rulers of multiethnic Empire for many years, but the cultural memory of the "Tatar yoke" is still strong, even as it seems irrelevant and absurd to outsiders. The Greeks spent many years as part of the Ottoman Empire (and had many of their people convert for reasons similar to the Copts, making them a minority in at least some lands where they were a majority.)

So many groups have histories of being both oppressor and oppressed, at least in their minds. It's why irredentism is so dangerous and impossible to settle fairly.

Combined your posts, please try not to make multiple, successive posts -LL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12