• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll's Move Back to In-Person Dub Recording Sparks Union Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
It's shitty that they've decided to shut out talent that isn't able to record locally, and doubly shitty that they're already recasting rolls from actors they've been satisfied with. I can understand prioritizing in-house actors, but I doubt it would break the bank or require an unreasonable amount of effort/time to allow home dubbing as an option. They already proved they were able to adapt and record entire series with dozens of actors from home, would it really be such a huge problem if like three people on a show wanted to keep working separately while everyone else returned to the professional studio?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
LightningComet wrote:

Stephanie Sheh was spot-on with her remark as there is indeed power to be found in numbers, but the sad truth is that workers going on strike cannot overhaul a multi-million-dollar industry. Funding on the order of hundreds of millions of dollars would need to be available for this corner of the industry to be overhauled, and unless someone with the money of Elon Musk and the heart of a disadvantaged worker wants to get in on the dubbing scene, I don't see it happening with all the ambitions reached and every employee and consumer satisfied.

C'est la capitalism, the ultimate maintainer of the exploitative status quo.

They may as well try anyway. Apathy about this isn't really the best way to go.

Not only that, but what's really stopping CR from just doing away with dubs all together and just sub everything after a certain point? Dubbing, even using these underhanded tactics isn't all that cheap given you have to pay for the actors who do not only leads, but guest and background bit parts as well.

I've been worried about that, but the amount of fallout that would happen from that kind of decision would be HUGE. It wouldn't just upset fans, it would upset voice actors and directors. They'd have to be insane to do that.

Also, someone on Twitter made a good point: https://twitter.com/rootsofjustice/status/1527051800343355392

Rootsofjustice wrote:
The thing that frustrates me most is CR is sitting on a mountain of dubbable content that could easily sustain training a generation of actors, as well as adaptation and engineering crews, in remote recording pockets while also cultivating the Dallas pool and they just don't.

Planet With, Heybot, Uma Musume, A Place Farther Than The Universe, Laid-Back Camp (for god's sake it has a dub airing in LATIN AMERICA ON CARTOON NETWORK), Heaven's Design Team, Polar Bear Cafe...they ALL could be done with some amazing remote talent and they're just gonna sit on them.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
LightningComet wrote:

Stephanie Sheh was spot-on with her remark as there is indeed power to be found in numbers, but the sad truth is that workers going on strike cannot overhaul a multi-million-dollar industry. Funding on the order of hundreds of millions of dollars would need to be available for this corner of the industry to be overhauled, and unless someone with the money of Elon Musk and the heart of a disadvantaged worker wants to get in on the dubbing scene, I don't see it happening with all the ambitions reached and every employee and consumer satisfied.

C'est la capitalism, the ultimate maintainer of the exploitative status quo.

They may as well try anyway. Apathy about this isn't really the best way to go.

Not only that, but what's really stopping CR from just doing away with dubs all together and just sub everything after a certain point? Dubbing, even using these underhanded tactics isn't all that cheap given you have to pay for the actors who do not only leads, but guest and background bit parts as well.

I've been worried about that, but the amount of fallout that would happen from that kind of decision would be HUGE. It wouldn't just upset fans, it would upset voice actors and directors. They'd have to be insane to do that.

Also, someone on Twitter made a good point: https://twitter.com/rootsofjustice/status/1527051800343355392

Rootsofjustice wrote:
The thing that frustrates me most is CR is sitting on a mountain of dubbable content that could easily sustain training a generation of actors, as well as adaptation and engineering crews, in remote recording pockets while also cultivating the Dallas pool and they just don't.

Planet With, Heybot, Uma Musume, A Place Farther Than The Universe, Laid-Back Camp (for god's sake it has a dub airing in LATIN AMERICA ON CARTOON NETWORK), Heaven's Design Team, Polar Bear Cafe...they ALL could be done with some amazing remote talent and they're just gonna sit on them.

The last part with A Place Farther Than The Universe, Laid-Back Camp makes me wonder, despite the popularity of the shows, is there any reason why english licensor dont want to dub them in english ?

Last edited by Farhanawesome on Thu May 19, 2022 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:37 pm Reply with quote
It seems like a fairly transparent response to the LA voice actors demanding unionisation. As a singular group, they seemed to benefit from the remote casting push more than anyone else. Sony has decided they won't do (new) nonunion projects in LA anymore ... because everything's being done in Texas. The fact that Sony has yet to issue a public statement despite months of pressure says everything, doesn't it? I don't think the wider anime fanbase cares much. The reality is that Sony can make the case that their internal dubs have faster turnarounds. They're getting shows out much quicker than when they were outsourcing and having people work from home.

If LA anime dubs survived the home video collapse and Funimation's market consolidation in the late '00s/early 2010s (remember Bang Zoom's doom and gloom days?), they'll survive this - especially when companies like Netflix (and likely Disney) don't send work anywhere else. Who knows, with Sony done giving them work, maybe most of the known LA actors will actually join SAG instead of playing both sides as fi-core. Rolling Eyes

My sympathies to the individuals this completely shuts the door on, including the handicapped and VAs that aren't in LA or the major Texas cities.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The day Crunchyroll stops making anime dubs means something is seriously wrong with the anime industry beyond just Crunchyroll not doing remote dubbing anymore. But Crunchyroll is a professional business out to make money and they're not going to stop dubbing all anime just to be spiteful to voice actors or something. But even if things progressed to a bad situation in the anime industry, I think Crunchyroll would more likely just outsource to cheaper studios like Miami or something like we saw in Pioneer's latter days than shut down all anime dubs entirely. But the point where Crunchyroll shuts down all anime dubs means something seriously wrong is happening and I don't expect that anytime soon if ever.
Mirko The Bunny Gamer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
got into an argument with someone over this subject

with them concluding with

"This is all controlled by market forces. There's no incentive for the dubbing company to do things which would allow them to bring in potentially better voice actors, or more varied voice actors, if everyone is still watching everything with the same dozen mediocre voices. If the customer doesn't tell them to change by stopping watching or stopping paying then they will see no reason to improve."

pretty much saying that unless everyone unsubscribes from CR then nothing's gonna change and that the majority don't care about news like this

because and i quote

"anyone who watches simuldubs doesn't care about the voices or the quality this literally doesn't matter to anyone except the voice actors"
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Mirko The Bunny Gamer wrote:

"This is all controlled by market forces. There's no incentive for the dubbing company to do things which would allow them to bring in potentially better voice actors, or more varied voice actors, if everyone is still watching everything with the same dozen mediocre voices. If the customer doesn't tell them to change by stopping watching or stopping paying then they will see no reason to improve."

pretty much saying that unless everyone unsubscribes from CR then nothing's gonna change and that the majority don't care about news like this

because and i quote

"anyone who watches simuldubs doesn't care about the voices or the quality this literally doesn't matter to anyone except the voice actors"

In a way, that person is right. The general fandom don't give a crap who makes their anime or who voices in them. Just whether it's good or not (and not even that much given they usually devolve into character worship or shipping wars a lot of the time). And most of them probably don't watch them dubbed anyway.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
It seems like a fairly transparent response to the LA voice actors demanding unionisation.

I wouldn't even limit it to unionization fears, but rather not wanting to raise rates in general.

Rate discussions (how the standard Funi rates have not changed for 20 years without individual agency advocation/bonuses but LA actors were getting better rates on the same shows, how terrible the current tiered system is, union vs non-union rates, LA vs TX non-union rates, etc...) only got as public as they did the past year or so, even before the merger, because dubs and talent pools were becoming less insular/divided. LA studios included, albeit at a much slower more hesitant rate.

I still strongly believe the primary reason for the mandate is getting return on investment for their new building, but re-implementing that long-standing wall of division between actors and shutting down these talks internally is an awfully nice bonus for business. Especially long-term as they will have a steady stream of newcomers who just want to work in anime so bad move to the area and they will easily accept the $35-$75 rate with no minimums. And once those actors will reach their 100-hour bonus, they can be replaced with more newcomers.

I love seeing new talent in shows, and I don't even think it's wrong to encourage local actors who are healthy to return to work in-house. If I had to list priorities, it would be:

1. The safety concerns of local TX actors to be met + remote-recording allowances for those who need it and are capable. Actors who have been working for them for 10+ years have been met with radio silence when reaching out.

2. Grossly overdue standard rate increases for actors (local or otherwise) working on CR projects to be implemented, even if TX actors refuse to push for unionization due to misinformation, fears, etc... This goes across the board to sound engineers, mixers, etc... but I am less familiar with those fields and what those within them have been pushing for internally.

3. And then, allow directors to cast remotely if they want to, even if they have to prioritize TX talent, meet a local quota, etc... It's not as important as the other two concerns but frankly, CR dubs the majority of streaming anime. I don't want to see the industry move backwards after so much progress just for profit.
Mirko The Bunny Gamer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:

because and i quote

In a way, that person is right. The general fandom don't give a crap who makes their anime or who voices in them. Just whether it's good or not (and not even that much given they usually devolve into character worship or shipping wars a lot of the time). And most of them probably don't watch them dubbed anyway.

do you think they are right by saying discussing this kind of news is pointless and that we shouldn't care about this stuff whatsoever because it only affects the voice actors?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:22 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

The main difference is that the anime industry proved that remote performances are not only plausible for 2+ years, but is actually literally doable, and offers opportunities to people who never had the chance before, and is literally something you can't do with on-camera acting, since on-camera requires you to actually be wherever the filming is.

You say you can relate as an actor, so put yourself into the shoes of the people who never had a chance at VO until this happened. You finally get a chance to audition, and you actually wind up getting a role, despite you not living in the LA/TX/NY regions. You finally prove that you have the talent & can actually deliver, only to now be told "Thanks, but even though we could totally continue consider using you for any potential future roles, we're going to never want to hear from you again, unless you arbitrarily move over to us".

Sure, they can always get other VO jobs in their region for stuff like local TV or radio. But they want to work on anime, and they literally are unable to move their lives over to one of those three specific regions to continue doing that job. Unlike on-camera acting, which is open enough to be able to get work just about anywhere (because you actually have to go to locations to film over there), VO acting (i.e. stuff with actual "roles") has always been super restrictive (because it doesn't require going anywhere other than a studio to do), but for 2+ years it was made much more open & welcoming; literally the entire country was an open field for auditions. People took that opportunity to show what they can do & show that there's more out there than just LA, TX, & NY, but now they've been told "Too bad" by the very people who gave them that opportunity.

Imagine being told that you no longer are allowed to professionally act, AT ALL in anime, simply because of where you live, despite the fact that it's been shown that it doesn't actually matter anymore.

The business of on-camera acting actually does basically require you to live in one of the major production hubs (LA, NY, Vancouver, Toronto, and also Atlanta more-and-more these days) since that's where they cast the major roles out of and where the agents are based. Unless you're a name actor or are signed to one of the top agencies like UTA, William Morris, or Gersh, you will have a very difficult time finding work if you don't live in those markets. I currently live in Richmond VA, and my access to breakdowns and agents is very limited. 100% of my work has been as a local hire (even that gig in Knoxville was one I was going to have to travel to on my own dime for a loss; I was offered a hotel though after some slight negotiating). I'm certainly planning on moving to a better market in the very near future (most likely Atlanta at first, but LA's always been my main goal), which is simply a reality in this industry if you want to make a living as a working actor. After all, you can't take the business out of show business, and I look at my career as much from that perspective as an artistic one.

Anime dubbing is a bit complex since it almost certainly will never pay the bills on its own, so I can understand why one would be hesitant to move to Texas for the sole purpose of doing that. Still, if it's something someone really wants to do as a major part of their career, it seems to make the most sense to live where the work is done (although LA would probably be the better choice given the other opportunities available). While the pandemic made it very convenient for people across the US to participate in anime dubbing, everyone had to have a sense that this time was going to come at some point (whether it came too soon is definitely arguable). I just don't think (and again, I'm far from an authoritative voice to this discussion) it would've been realistic to expect much of an anime dubbing career solely from your closet studio after COVID. If it were me (and yes, I am only speaking for myself), I would absolutely move right now if I was in that situation. All the work and connections would be a major plus compared to the people moving with nothing on their resumes.

In a perfect world, any studio would indeed cast whoever they want from anywhere on earth, but realistically, I can understand why the studios would prefer to just do things the way they had been doing so well for decades before, especially with the added cost and labor of remote recording. It makes sense to do it for special accommodating situations, but my biggest question would be why anyone would want to search for an unproven remote talent when they have someone usable where they are, except for very specific circumstances of course. If I was dubbing anime remotely, that's certainly a question I would ask, and the main reason why I'd have a sense that this situation was too good to be true. But again, I don't speak for anyone actually in the situation.

And it is very shitty how this whole ordeal was handled. Screwing talent over like this just speaks for itself. It should've been done much more carefully and with more transparency. Completely ignoring the calls to unionize is also pretty telling.
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:50 am Reply with quote
Risa Mei & Marin Miller need to tree lightly if they're trying to shake up the dubbing industry. Risa is still band spanking new to the anime dub industry and Marin hasn't had a main character role since playing Yuuno in Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha back in '04 so if neither one of them never got a job in dub anime again, nobody would notice.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:48 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
Funding on the order of hundreds of millions of dollars would need to be available for this corner of the industry to be overhauled, and unless someone with the money of Elon Musk and the heart of a disadvantaged worker wants to get in on the dubbing scene, I don't see it happening with all the ambitions reached and every employee and consumer satisfied.
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens if Disney+ starts getting more heavily into licensing simulcast anime and if they start recruiting LA dub actors and Disney definitely has a lot more money and streaming numbers than Crunchyroll.

I mean, they have made mainly LA based dubs, so it’s a given.
IG

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:10 am Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
It's shitty that they've decided to shut out talent that isn't able to record locally, and doubly shitty that they're already recasting rolls from actors they've been satisfied with. I can understand prioritizing in-house actors, but I doubt it would break the bank or require an unreasonable amount of effort/time to allow home dubbing as an option. They already proved they were able to adapt and record entire series with dozens of actors from home, would it really be such a huge problem if like three people on a show wanted to keep working separately while everyone else returned to the professional studio?
It's not really wrong, it has business works.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:35 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:

because and i quote

do you think they are right by saying discussing this kind of news is pointless and that we shouldn't care about this stuff whatsoever because it only affects the voice actors?

They're right in that the general fandom doesn't care. Where they're wrong is that no one should care completely. Because that is stupid. By ignoring the problem, we only let companies like CR or Sony get their way (and perhaps go even further than this by just not getting Texas to dub their shows and either farm it off to a lesser location or just go Simulsub-only). Bad business practices need to be called out on, be they horrible working conditions for Japanese animators, or voice actors getting shafted in the name of saving money.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:55 am Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
Risa Mei & Marin Miller need to tree lightly if they're trying to shake up the dubbing industry. Risa is still band spanking new to the anime dub industry and Marin hasn't had a main character role since playing Yuuno in Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha back in '04 so if neither one of them never got a job in dub anime again, nobody would notice.

Marin is making more money doing video games. They've talked about this to some extent, including how much better the wages were working on Hades.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6