• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does the Original Trigun Hold Up?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:24 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
This type of character shift should've been made heir apparent halfway through the first episode to convey to the audience from the get go that Trigun was meant to be a comedy/drama mix.

You're kidding, right? It WAS made apparent from the first episode, if you were paying attention. While acting goofy, Vash was going super-human feats from the very beginning. From the moment he shot off their ropes while tumbling down a hill, you should have already know that Vash is NOT normal and he's hiding a lot of power. The dude was casually dodging bullets.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, even in those goofy early moments it's crystal clear that Vash is far more powerful than his persona lets on. When you see him pull off those superhuman moves, you know there's a lot more to him, and it piques your interest.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
The problem with Trigun is that the show got TOO dark for its own good later on in the series which ended up contrasting heavily from its earlier light-hearted tones which really begged the question as to whether the slapstick comedy was honestly needed in the first place. Maybe you might not have seen a problem with it, Top Gun, but the changes legitimately felt jarring and questions the direction of the show to begin with.

Look, I don't mind a good comedy and drama mix (Cowboy Bebop handled that amazingly well) but it shouldn't be done at a point where the audience has to second guess whether the show needed one factor blown up to a ludicrous degree over it.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree with this take on the series. It got darker, yes, but it happened over the course of the entire series, not at the drop of a hat. That's hardly an uncommon storytelling technique. That earlier slapstick was definitely needed in order to establish the contrast that was at the heart of Vash's character...plus, it was just plain fun to watch. I don't see why episode 3 feeling very different than episode 22 is such a deal-breaker for you.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:40 pm Reply with quote
As I understand it, director Nishimura wanted a more lighthearted tone from the beginning so he added the first 3 filler eps and adapted the 4th from Nightow's more comedic "pilot chapter". I think this was in an old transcribed interview, perhaps from Sumire's old Make A Little Lightbulb in Your Soul fansite but I don't fully remember. Anyway, whereas the manga starts with what would be episode 5 and Vash doing amazing things and being a badass, adding these episodes as our introduction to Vash increase his mystery and the focus on his comedic "cover personality" and gives us a character viewpoint(Meryl and Milly). This is both an improvement and a detraction because, as we all know, those first few episodes of an anime set its overall tone and let you know whether or not you want to see the rest. Having them be so different than what the series is really about(the dark, walking tragedy that is Vash) really pulls the rug out from under you and leads to such issues as are being discussed in this forum.

The precarious balancing act of humor and drama in the first half leads the viewer to constantly wonder what tone it's going for. And even though the second half is overall much darker than the first they still pepper in more humorous bits like the events in episode 15(which come much earlier in the manga) to offset the darker, more tragic manga tone. The manga, of course, has comedic elements as well and it is just my opinion that they are better integrated and cause much less tonal whiplash. Still, I do belive the anime has informed my love of the manga and in my mind they kind of share the same space. I don't know if I would love the manga as much as I do without the anime.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:03 am Reply with quote
Honestly, as someone who watched Trigun in my late teens for the first time, I never understood the absolute worship some people have for a dub that was, for the time, just standard fare. Vash sounds great after he settles into the role, but everyone else just kinda sounds like a typical dub character.

I gave the show an 8, but that might be lowered to a 7.5 today. The first half meanders a lot and the villains of the second half are given one personality trait each. spoiler[Wolfwood's death] felt avoidable and sudden in all sorts of ways considering what that guy's capable of, and honestly the only parts that I think are as good as everyone says they are are Vash and Knives' backstory and the final 3 episodes.

That being said, I enjoy the show, but I put it more on the level of Outlaw Star than freaking Bebop. Hell, I even prefer watching it dubbed, but that's mostly out of convenience than anything else. I'm sure the sub is better.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:01 am Reply with quote
Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:
You're kidding, right? It WAS made apparent from the first episode, if you were paying attention. While acting goofy, Vash was going super-human feats from the very beginning. From the moment he shot off their ropes while tumbling down a hill, you should have already know that Vash is NOT normal and he's hiding a lot of power. The dude was casually dodging bullets.
No, I WAS aware of his super-human power just as much as anyone else. It's that the show gave off the intention upon first viewing to play off his powers for laughs. Like everyone else who first watched the show, we thought this was the impression that was given for the duration of the series.
Top Gun wrote:
I guess I just fundamentally disagree with this take on the series. It got darker, yes, but it happened over the course of the entire series, not at the drop of a hat. That's hardly an uncommon storytelling technique. That earlier slapstick was definitely needed in order to establish the contrast that was at the heart of Vash's character...plus, it was just plain fun to watch. I don't see why episode 3 feeling very different than episode 22 is such a deal-breaker for you.
It sincerely felt like a drop of a hat to me, especially considering that I watched the entire series TWICE when I attended two different anime clubs back in the early 2000s. The deal breaker wasn't episode 3 but 5.

Maybe you guys can see the show from an angle that clicks with you but it doesn't click with me.

Okay, you know what? I'm going to have to explain my viewpoint here a little more clearly and I honestly think this is a long-standing means of acknowledging the elephant in the room regarding the presentation of Trigun to begin with.

TRIGUN, to me, gave off the initial impression of being nothing but an action comedy. The presentation of that comedy in the series was a BIG selling point when I first watched it from episode 1. The serious side to Vash during the action moments and the intro would've served as an excellent red herring to the show itself. In fact, when people, including Vash, try to act serious in the show only to have themselves be at the focal point of the punchline is what really helps create the buildup and the execution of the comedic timing. That is the takeaway that I got when I first watched the show. Any serious behavior would be offset by a comedic finale that would elicit big laughs from the audience. That is what I believed the show was supposed to be about. When the show got legitimately serious in episode 5, that impression was destroyed. It then showed to the audience that an established red herring wasn't really a red herring at all, the show WOULD get serious, and I honestly think that sucks. I DON'T want Trigun to have a legitimate serious side. I wanted the seriousness that DID exist in the show to be part of the comedic gimmick that played off into an ultimate punchline. Slayers was one other such show that pulled this gimmick off well until the TRY season.

I know future readers of this thread will vehemently disagree with me on this stance but it is a stance that I stand on my hill on and will die on it. Trigun shouldn't have had a serious turn in its presentation. It worked well as an action comedy and had it stuck to its scruples from beginning to end, I would've considered it a true classic.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:12 am Reply with quote
spoiler[The romantic in me wanted Milly to have had Wolfwood's child.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3