• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bocchi the Rock!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myfairx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:17 am Reply with quote
Nooo I prepare a lengthy reply and my Firefox crash (can't belive firefox crash on Linux!)

anyway, i don't want to rewrite it again so this is the summary.

someone mention LINDA LINDA LINDA (SOL fans, GO WATCH!) for K-On!
after / before that watch My Boss My Hero just for Kashii Yu (she's in LINDA3x)
also go watch Ongaku (anime film)! and then watch Swing Girls - for Hibike! Euphonium/ Waterboys for Free! etc (Naoto Takenaka stars in all 3 movies)

and if you like gloomy air in Bocchi ep 5 go watch Hashimoto Ai's Little Forest movie

onoree... firefox!
Philville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
NeedMoreCats wrote:
I think my favorite part of this episode was all the visuals of dams—better than sparkles any day! I laughed out loud Very Happy

Yep. I kinda feel like I can't just come in here every week and say the same things.. but once again, this show continues it's fantastic visual creativity.

The dams had me in tears. The only other time I laughed so hard was at Bocchi's reaction to being forced to be active on social media (which I can totally relate to).

I've now binged the first five episodes and this has easily become one of my top three series of the season. The sheer breadth of creativity on display is breathtaking and it definitely contributes to making the show unique and original despite the usual genre clichés.

Thesarum wrote:
And after I said last week they only used static cameras (admittedly to great effect) they stuck one to the end of Bocchi's guitar for a bit. I'll consider myself suitably chastised.

I tend to dislike GoPro guitar headstock mounts in real concert footage since that's not how anyone actually experiences a live concert (although it's fine for vlogging and guitar hero YouTube videos), but dynamic cams are strangely appealing in anime, and obviously helpful for rotoscope animation.

myfairx wrote:
also go watch Ongaku (anime film)! and then watch Swing Girls - for Hibike! Euphonium/ Waterboys for Free! etc (Naoto Takenaka stars in all 3 movies)

So Swing Girls is like a live action version of Sound! Euphonium? I've always wanted to watch Euphonium because it sounds like a cross between K-On! and Nodame Cantabile, which I love. I'm having trouble finding a decent-looking/decently priced copy of Linda Linda Linda, sadly, but I can definitely see how it inspired the concert scene in Haruhi. Wasn't there also an anime/film focusing on the saxophone?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
So Swing Girls is like a live action version of Sound! Euphonium? I've always wanted to watch Euphonium because it sounds like a cross between K-On! and Nodame Cantabile, which I love. I'm having trouble finding a decent-looking/decently priced copy of Linda Linda Linda, sadly, but I can definitely see how it inspired the concert scene in Haruhi. Wasn't there also an anime/film focusing on the saxophone?

Euphonium is pretty different from K-on, closer to Nodame between the two but not really the same either. Its less humour base and more drama I guess, sorta romance in some way.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
I tend to dislike GoPro guitar headstock mounts in real concert footage since that's not how anyone actually experiences a live concert (although it's fine for vlogging and guitar hero YouTube videos), but dynamic cams are strangely appealing in anime, and obviously helpful for rotoscope animation.

I think it works here because quite aside from being a bit novel and different within the context of this series... it's the sort of thing an amateur band does? It's kinda weird and clunky and would be motion sickness inducing for any period longer than a couple of seconds...and therefore it's perfect.
Philville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:50 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Euphonium is pretty different from K-on, closer to Nodame between the two but not really the same either. Its less humour base and more drama I guess, sorta romance in some way.

Good to know. I don't mind that, actually -- it's great to have some variety in the musical genre. I wouldn't want all music-centered anime series to be comedies (although I found that tonally Nodame managed to strike a good balance between humor and drama).

Thesarum wrote:

I think it works here because quite aside from being a bit novel and different within the context of this series... it's the sort of thing an amateur band does? It's kinda weird and clunky and would be motion sickness inducing for any period longer than a couple of seconds...and therefore it's perfect.

It's definitely fitting here from an aesthetic perspective, yes, and it's also a very widespread filming technique among streamer guitarists because of its DIY-aspect. So in that sense, the headmounted cam is also particularly appropriate for Bocchi, given her background.

EDIT (11/13): Just watched Ep. 6 and read the review, which was great because of how it captures the show's underlying sense of empathy (although I beg to differ regarding the humor being lackluster this week).

Damn, Bocchi sure can shred. I loved every second of the street concert. The introduction of Kikuri/unnamed girl was side-splitting and as an "old rocker" myself I can totally relate to her "happiness spiral". As we keep saying every week, this show continues to be breathtakingly creative from a visual perspective, from the "mother-father-ticket" multiplication bit at the start to the fireworks ending the episode with a literal bang. This has easily become my favorite series of the season (I'm still planning on checking out Do it Yourself!! and Bibliophile Princess, for the record). Also, does Ryou sneezing at the end of the episode mean that someone is going to have to fill in for her at the concert? Wink
XR250rdr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
meiam wrote:

Good to know. I don't mind that, actually -- it's great to have some variety in the musical genre. I wouldn't want all music-centered anime series to be comedies (although I found that tonally Nodame managed to strike a good balance between humor and drama).

Thesarum wrote:

It's definitely fitting here from an aesthetic perspective, yes, and it's also a very widespread filming technique among streamer guitarists because of its DIY-aspect. So in that sense, the headmounted cam is also particularly appropriate for Bocchi, given her background.

EDIT (11/13): Just watched Ep. 6 and read the review, which was great because of how it captures the show's underlying sense of empathy (although I beg to differ regarding the humor being lackluster this week).

Damn, Bocchi sure can shred. I loved every second of the street concert. The introduction of Kikuri/unnamed girl was side-splitting and as an "old rocker" myself I can totally relate to her "happiness spiral". As we keep saying every week, this show continues to be breathtakingly creative from a visual perspective, from the "mother-father-ticket" multiplication bit at the start to the fireworks ending the episode with a literal bang. This has easily become my favorite series of the season (I'm still planning on checking out Do it Yourself!! and Bibliophile Princess, for the record). Also, does Ryou sneezing at the end of the episode mean that someone is going to have to fill in for her at the concert? Wink

Ryou sneezing was because Bocchi was talking about her. spoiler[Bocci saying "This feels strangely familiar" is a reference to episode 4 when Bocci had to pay for Ryou's lunch because she was broke again.]
Philville

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote
XR250rdr wrote:
Ryou sneezing was because Bocchi was talking about her. spoiler[Bocci saying "This feels strangely familiar" is a reference to episode 4 when Bocci had to pay for Ryou's lunch because she was broke again.]

I got the reference to Ep. 4 and realized that she meant Ryou but I admit I didn't get that this was the reason for her sneezing. It definitely makes sense in hindsight but I didn't make the connection at first (I was initially reminded of Bocchi getting sick earlier, and I thought that it's almost too much of a coincidence that the new girl also plays bass, so I was convinced the sneeze might actually be foreshadowing later events.)
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:09 pm Reply with quote
You know, it's sort of a meme joking about bass players in the rock/metal community. So no wonder both bassists we saw here are... quirky. Laughing
XR250rdr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
XR250rdr wrote:

I got the reference to Ep. 4 and realized that she meant Ryou but I admit I didn't get that this was the reason for her sneezing. It definitely makes sense in hindsight but I didn't make the connection at first (I was initially reminded of Bocchi getting sick earlier, and I thought that it's almost too much of a coincidence that the new girl also plays bass, so I was convinced the sneeze might actually be foreshadowing later events.)
I haven't read the source so I can't say you're wrong. I took it to be a "someone is talking about you" sneeze, but it could be both.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:16 am Reply with quote
If she doesn't find another way to cope, ol' "Kikuri" is going to find herself inducted into the 27 Club. :/
Philville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
You know, it's sort of a meme joking about bass players in the rock/metal community. So no wonder both bassists we saw here are... quirky. Laughing

I was thinking the same thing, but isn't it impressive that Ryou seems to be the main songwriter in the band? She's like Kessoku Band's very own Steve Harris or Lemmy. Razz
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:20 pm Reply with quote
The first couple of minutes had me completely convinced we were in for a recap episode, but one that was going to be a lot of fun.

I was really glad to see Bocchi knew well enough to not follow Kikuri's path for exorcising her demons.

I had a friend in college who was in danger of going down that road. She amazed me one morning after a round of serious drinking by resolving to go sober --- and and impressed me when she followed through on that goal.
Philville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If she doesn't find another way to cope, ol' "Kikuri" is going to find herself inducted into the 27 Club. :/

dm wrote:
I was really glad to see Bocchi knew well enough to not follow Kikuri's path for exorcising her demons.

I had a friend in college who was in danger of going down that road. She amazed me one morning after a round of serious drinking by resolving to go sober --- and and impressed me when she followed through on that goal.

As a musician who was going down a similar road at the age of 27 while coping with the sudden passing of my dad, among other things, I'll admit I was briefly surprised by the way in which behavior verging on alcoholism was being turned into a source of comedy in this episode. That said, I still found her hilarious and endearing and the booze humor was obviously all in good fun. We could, after all, similarly object to the show's lighthearted depiction of introversion and social anxiety, but that would be missing the point. All things considered I think Bocchi has its heart in the right place and injects its comedy with a lot of empathy. I also wouldn't be surprised if it addresses Kikuri's "habit" in a meaningful way in a later episode -- I suspect that Bocchi and the band are going to have a positive influence on her -- though it's obviously also simply her gimmick, on some level.

On a side note, Kikuri also gave Bocchi some excellent advice on being a live musician when trying to get her to loosen up by pointing out that the people in the audience aren't her enemies. Ironically, I recently watched the episode of Abroad in Japan called "I Spent a Week with Japan's Biggest Rockstar", where the YouTuber Chris Broad interviews Hyde (of L'Arc~en~Ciel), who basically says the exact opposite. He describes the audience as "lions" who smell "weakness" and says he feels he has to avoid "losing to them". I was actually pretty surprised to hear such a celebrated musician talk about how he has to "establish dominance" like with a "pet dog" so as to not be "vulnerable to attack." I understand what he means but I somehow find that hard to reconcile with the pure joy of playing music you love and feeding off the audience's energy (which Bocchi is working towards). Then again, it just goes to show that, at the end of the day, even the most extroverted performer is just human (with all of the insecurities that entails).
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:08 am Reply with quote
Ah, the stop-motion sports day horror show! The crew are having so much fun making this series. They're really going all out.

Bocchi's parents believing that she'd photoshopped friends into her pictures was equal measures hilarious and heartbreaking. As is Bocchi's constant sense that as soon as her band mates talk to anyone else they no longer have room in their lives for her. She struggles forward though.

Not enough Ryou this week, but the weird vibes she did contribute were great. I love how comfy she seems to be in her own slightly skew world.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:15 am Reply with quote
Kind of feels like only now I am really thinking back to the inventiveness of style in this show, where it did things like stop motion in this episode, and others it had things like Bocchi's entire character design glitch out.

I never really thought that I was a glutton for cringe comedy, but I have always been pulled in by the likes of Watamote, which I picked the manga up a couple years ago. As an anxious mess of an introvert myself, there is something enjoyable about someone being an equal mess, that a lot of those things are stuff in your head. As such in how the Watamote anime finished with Tomoko laughing at herself. For me it is the best when you are not laughing at the cringe of the other person but seeing that in yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6