• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
The only anime I even really watched this season were Stone Ocean, DNT season 4, G-Witch, and Chainsaw Man, and I need to catch up with the last two, but I’ve been satisfied with everything I’ve watched.

Oh, right, Lupin Zero, too. That’s been adorable and fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:04 am Reply with quote
For me the show of the season is definitely G-Witch. It's fun, it has things to say, it takes its themes seriously, but it doesn't take itself terribly seriously so far - which is something I appreciate. I just hope it will keep up the good job in the upcoming cours.

The runner-up for favorite is Cool Doji Danshi. It's a pity that this show is not getting more attention, but then again I can see how it would be difficult to talk about it, considering there's not a lot that happens in any given episode. It's just overall very relatable for me, and as such I find it genuinely funny, but also it's very chill and low-key, something that always brings a smile to my face. (A note though, I recently watched an episode with subs, and had to facepalm at a character referring to his own younger brother as "them" only to facilitate a split second of misunderstanding where the other character thinks he's meeting up with his girlfriend but actually it's his brother. And I mean... seriously... it's his own brother. His very cisgender brother. Why on earth would he refer to him as "them", especially since he then switches to "he/him" and continues with that? I really hate this trend in translation. Just leave out the pronoun ffs and use a different structure!)

This was also a season of surprises for me: two shows I enjoyed a lot were ones that are usually not my cup of tea: Raven of the Inner Palace and Blue Lock. It's good that Blue Lock continues into the next season, I wonder if there's anything more planned for Raven.

Last edited by SHD on Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:04 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Glordit wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Seriously? Out of all the dumpster fires this season had, you want to with HeroAca as the worst one? I call complete bullshit on that one.

Imagine having an opinion.

---

Housing Complex C getting lambasted, as it should be.

I do also agree with Uzaki-chan 2 being "bad". I miss the whimsical Senpai and Kouhai dynamic of them pulling and pushing each other around having fun and doing silly things. Season 2 was them trying to play a game of wits but only constantly failing and having other characters take over. I am aware that this is a close adaptation of the manga, I just wonder why it switched gears and slowed down to a crawl.

there are a lot other animes that were TEN TIMES WORSE than housing complex c and its definitely NO exception in 2022 ( looking at you redo of healer, worlds end harem, Peter Grill to Kenja S2 & ESPECIALLY Isekai Meikyuu de Harem o )

was it disappointing? ABSOLUTELY! it more or less falls under the same category as pirate princess fena. had potential but completely wasted it.

though to call it worse is kinda much compared to the other anime of 2022 i mentioned!

At least with ecchi shows, you know what you are getting, over the top softcore hentai. Which I won't lie, I do enjoy for entertainment purposes and mostly because of the ridiculousness of it all.

C Danchi seemed to have promise. Sadly, it tried to be so many different things all at once, that by episode 4 the writers seemed to have given up.

I actually wonder about Uzumaki after it's been delayed so many times.
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Bocchi the Rock blows all other shows out of the water, not just this season, but this year. An absolute blast full of lovable characters, good plot, and amazing comedy with the most well executed gags. Not to mention the sheer creativity when it comes to its directing. Bocchi the Rock is anime of the year. Kinda sad to see it only on two people's lists in the article...

Other praise goes to DIY and Yama no Susume. The former being a wonderful addition to the cute girls do cute things genre, and the latter providing all the things that made its previous seasons great, plus some. YNS is my favorite anime, and it was such a joy seeing its beautiful animation back, and offering a suitable endcap to the franchise.

As an aside, Chainsaw Man never really won me over. It's fun, but outside of being a well-animated, action-packed gore-fest, it doesn't really do much for me. Never really got the hype, even when I read the manga. It's good, just not as good as people make it out to be.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Can't pick between Chainsaw Man and Mob Psycho 100. Both have nice production values interesting stories.

While Chainsaw Man is nearly Devilman Crybaby with its amount of gore and disurbing visuals, the themes are ligthened up thanks to the characterization of Denji and Power. These two characters are hilarious as heck most of the times like if they have no idea what is the show about but want to act as experts.

Mob probably wasn't as strong as the first two seasons but it managed to give the lead his closure even if it was similar to Persona 4. Reigen finally admitting all his sins helped to balance so many episodes of being a con.

Disappointing would be Bleach considering they got a lot of budget for a story that goes nowhere. They bring up Unohana as an ex warrior just to kill her. Ichigo barely fights becomes another type creature. Only two shinigamis die after one of the most chaotic episodes. It's like the author is afraid of killing them even though Hinamori's treatment might make Kubo look like a guy who hates women.
Márcio Voltz Jardim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Best: Mob Psycho
Runner-Up: Chainsaw Man
Worst: any shoujo or novel that has been released
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Mob Psycho 100 III mentioned on one of the Worst lists. Definitely the weakest season.

Bocchi's my favorite of the season, but it wasn't a super strong season at the highest levels. Lots of good shows, no all-timers.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Blue Lock and Urusei Yatsura need more appreciation in my opinion. These two series are the ones I enjoyed the most this season, along of course with the tremendous Chainsaw Man and Jojo Stone Ocean. Love me some long overdue ego-teaching in a survival sports game, Lum is the most loveable and precious thing on Earth (and beyond), Chainsaw's artistic value is off charts and really rare for the anime scene, and Jojo gave us one of the most beautiful endings and philosophical dilemmas in such a huge saga. I would also put Golden Kamuy and its highly cultural d*ck jokes in there but it was never finished so maybe this one will go in another season.

On the other hand, Mob Psycho left me quite uninterested. I don't know if it's because this season was filled with many other stuff I liked better, or because the is a general tendency in ONE's works or adaptations when the material is running thin, to just turn it into a superhero battle-fest. It was still watchable and enjoyable, no doubt, but it gave me nowhere near the excitement the series I mentioned above did.

As for the rest, Akiba Maid War was a really nice and original surprise. It is surprising by its own that it is mentioned so much as a runner-up, but hey: It definitely deserved it! My Hero Academia also had a much better season than usual, definitely much better than the recent ones it gave us so far. High stakes battles, character development, this is an upgrade in all fonts for MHA's standards. Spy x Family walks comfortably in the middle ground as it always did for me - I was always here for Anya and Fiona is not that great of an addition to the adult cast so not much changed. Mairimashita Iruma kun is also still as pleasant as always.

And last but not least, there are always the ones that score lower. I was all in for The Villainess that Tames the Final Boss, mainly because of its underlying feministic message, but in the end count me unimpressed. It was okay in many ways, but it didn't really deliver much. Raven of the Inner Chambers was also not on the top of my list. That might not be because it's particularly bad in any way, but because I really don't like such low-key series after all. I watched it for the murder mysteries, and it delivered some, but the romance and the main plot just didn't work for me. And of course, we know by now that To Your Eternity will never reach its first episode heights and has strayed too far off. Still watchable I can't say though.

For worst, maybe Cool Doji Danshi from what I saw. It's completely harmless, but still it isn't... much of anything, in any way, shape or form.

Conclusion: Wow, what a season!
pi8you

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Let's pour one out for Golden Kamuy S4, all but forgotten in its early, painful disappearance among this stupidly stacked season.

It's a tough call, but my top spot has to go to Akiba Maid War, while any of Chainsaw Man, Do It Yourself, Raven of the Inner Palace (my biggest unexpected delight), Gundam Witch, BOCCHI, or Welcome to Demon School Iruma-Kun could take the runner-up spot.

In great-but-not-favorites we've got My Hero Academia, Urusei Yatsura, and Spy x Family.

Also watched all the way through, mostly enjoying: Bibliophile Princess, I'm the Villainess, Eminence, Isekai Sword, Love Flops (absolutely trashy but sticking around for The Reveal was worth it), My Master Has No Tail, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

To Your Eternity takes my bottom spot, fell behind at Thanksgiving and realized I didn't care enough to catch up.

spoiler[I've still only watched Mob's first season but will get there someday.]
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Actually, this too is prolly another reason for how i feel about this list this time. There just isn't much variety on the list, most if not all u likely heard as they're either big name or big enough to be heard. I also agree having just finished SxF part 2, not much of a drop off but, its noticeably weaker than Part 1 is esp once u get past the Dog introduction eps at the start. For me Part 1 is an 8, while part 2 is a 7.5 so really not much of a drop like u said and i love both parts still but a drop in quality of the story for sure. Hopefully the movie and S2 brings it back up to Part 1's lv.

I mean, this was literally a season full of mostly "big name" anime. What were you expecting?
SrkSano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:04 am Reply with quote
Best: Spy x Family. I am a huge fan of Kazuhiro Furuhashi's directing so I might be biased, but I feel he elevated the material to another level.

Runner Up: Chainsaw Man.
Took me a while to get on board with the independent / cult film vibe they had going, but once I did I was hooked.

Runner Runner Up: Mobile Suit Gundam the Witch from Mercury.
I tend to avoid a lot of anime that take place in a high school setting because it's been done to death. However since this was Gundam, I was going to watch it anyway. To my surprise, I wound up enjoying the school setting more than I thought I would.

Worst: Muv Luv Alternative.
It's not terrible, it has a lot of great science fiction aspects to it. It's just that the harem / not harem aspect... Is EXTREMELY ridiculous compared to previous Muv Luv anime. LMAO it's one guy in AN ENTIRE BUILDING OF WOMEN. Are men extinct? Nope. Is there any special reason for women to pilot mecha here over men? Nope. It just is what it is. Protagonist is surrounded by 20 or more women practically all the time. I know war is hard but... That's a different kind of hard. Razz
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:48 am Reply with quote
MushroomMan674 wrote:
Villain-chan wrote:
Actually, this too is prolly another reason for how i feel about this list this time. There just isn't much variety on the list, most if not all u likely heard as they're either big name or big enough to be heard. I also agree having just finished SxF part 2, not much of a drop off but, its noticeably weaker than Part 1 is esp once u get past the Dog introduction eps at the start. For me Part 1 is an 8, while part 2 is a 7.5 so really not much of a drop like u said and i love both parts still but a drop in quality of the story for sure. Hopefully the movie and S2 brings it back up to Part 1's lv.

I mean, this was literally a season full of mostly "big name" anime. What were you expecting?
Oh I dunno, variety. If something like this happens then I feel there needs to be an extra slot for their best/worst/runner up/honorable mention where this doesn't overlap someone else's pick in this slot and isn't already included on the list. Ofc, this is ONLY if the list has mostly the same entries like this one does... so a rarity like this wouldn't add too much extra work, esp when its likely going to be rare. Also, doesn't matter how many big name anime there are, thats an excuse that dodges the issue at hand, if a list doesn't have variety and its best/worst etc. are mostly the same then that's not a good thing, but I'll say no more on this as I've already said how I feel about it, only chiming back in becus u asked. P.s. I'd also like to point out despite the big name anime, there was certainly no shortage of anime with us getting a TON of anime like usual.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:06 am Reply with quote
Fall 2022

I watched 6 shows:
* Akiba Maid War
* Chainsaw Man
* Golden Kamuy
* My Hero Academia
* Spy X Family
* Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun

My best is Chainsaw Man. I love the action, the characters, the humor, and it's still quite early days for this series. The multiple EDs thing is a really nice touch.

My runner-up is Spy X Family cour 2. Despite (or in spite of) the episodic formula, I really enjoyed this show. The characters, the humor, the idea nobody knows what is going on in everyone else's mind except Anya of course.

I had no worst, my least best would probably be Akiba Maid War. The last episode left me with more questions than answers, overall I enjoyed the show for Ranko's kickassery, and Nagomi's growth as a character.

I'm disappointed that Golden Kamuy wasn't able to finish its run, I do understand why it wasn't able to do that.

I think anime Twitter is too harsh on MHA S6. I mean their criticisms mostly stem from the background art being a blue sky and all, but manga being monochrome nearly all the time, I feel has blinded them.

spoiler[The Harvest Festival] is super fun. I miss seeing Ameri, but I like the focus on the misfit class.
timber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:44 am Reply with quote
I have always difficulties a selection. So let's go with the titles I was waiting for each week:
- Bocchi the Rock!
- Raven Consort
- Spy x Family
Title with a very long wait (since it started in Summer season but most of it was delayed):
- Isekai Ojisan

Interesting to watch:
- Akiba Maid Sensou. Amusing setting of Maid Cafe as Yakuzas, but for me the best parts were actually the opening and ending songs.
- Reincarnated as a sword. Nice but I preferred the character designs from the manga.
- Berserk, though it's only a rehash of the movies.

Watchable:
- Mob Psycho S3, Chainsaw Man (I cannot understand all the hype), Bibliophile Princess, Bleach, DIY, LoGH

Disappointments:
- The Witch of Mercury, what the heck is that scenario? Even worse than Reconquista.
- To your Eternity S2, watchable but what a letdown compared to season 1!

Worst:
Dunno, I never remember the animes I drop after a single episode.

Last edited by timber on Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Amazing to see all the love for Akiba Maid War in such a stacked season. For my top pick, I'll take Chainsaw Man, and Mob Psycho for the runner up. But truly everything else I followed (Gundam, SpyxFamily, MHA, Raven of the Inner Palace, Bocchi the Rock) was good to great.

My worst would be the only show I dropped, Bibliophile Princess. I agree with the criticisms of the writing, but also the show was ugly too. Barely animated, and almost every frame is bathed in this white light that looks flat and boring. Plus I could never tell all the secondary male characters apart, they were just sort of vaguely handsome and nice. We get so few anime romances starring adult characters, it's always a shame when one falls flat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4