• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces Nominees for 7th Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:13 pm Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
#Droneku wrote:
YUREI DECO ? HAHAHAHAHA I am laughing all night! That show was more boring than any Isekai that came out last year!

Also, Misaki Kuno made the performance of the century and no one would say otherwise!
Tbf, this year there wasn't a lot of good originals... the only original that's not there that I would've put instead of Yurei Deco is like... Ryman's Club or mayyyybe Engage Kiss.

Akiba Maid War was excellent but it falls outside the nomination window.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:14 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Not that I'm surprised, but yet again this is such a blatant popularity contest...

If that was true then My Dress-Up Darling would be AOTY contender, lol
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:35 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
DatRandomDude wrote:
#Droneku wrote:
YUREI DECO ? HAHAHAHAHA I am laughing all night! That show was more boring than any Isekai that came out last year!

Also, Misaki Kuno made the performance of the century and no one would say otherwise!
Tbf, this year there wasn't a lot of good originals... the only original that's not there that I would've put instead of Yurei Deco is like... Ryman's Club or mayyyybe Engage Kiss.

Akiba Maid War was excellent but it falls outside the nomination window.
Well yeah, I badly worded that but I was thinking outside of the nomination window. I'm sure if Fall would've counted it would've easily been nominated for this category (deservedly so). Do It Yourself could've had a chance too.
redvelvetdoll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Am I crazy? How the hell did Sasaki and Miyano not at least get into Best Romance?? It's my AOTY (considering i7 is Fall so falls outside the window) but not a single nomination for anything???
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:26 pm Reply with quote
redvelvetdoll wrote:
Am I crazy? How the hell did Sasaki and Miyano not at least get into Best Romance?? It's my AOTY (considering i7 is Fall so falls outside the window) but not a single nomination for anything???

That's how I feel about Love Flops. I thought it was an absolute masterpiece along the same lines as Clannad.
redvelvetdoll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:21 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
redvelvetdoll wrote:

That's how I feel about Love Flops. I thought it was an absolute masterpiece along the same lines as Clannad.

Love Flops isn't eligible yet until next year. Sasaki and Miyano aired in Winter 2022.

This isn't a good metric to measure but like to illustrate my way of thinking: Sasaki and Miyano has a way higher MAL score (8.24) than Shikimori (6.93), Love after World Domination (7.47), Komi-san S2 (8.11), and Call of the Night (8.04) Did they just happen to assemble a selection of judges who didn't watch and/or everyone simultaneously was like nah not worth the effort
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:17 am Reply with quote
The Crunchyroll anime awards have what I like to call the WatchMojo anime problem: the list is always the same series, just in a different order. They really need to start allowing write-ins instead of condensing well over 100 series into just six options. The same six options in almost every category. Ugh.

The way it is now, its just meaningless at the end.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:31 am Reply with quote
nl_TvdL wrote:
...most voters probably vote for the things they watched...
Among the few shows in each category that was my problem, watched and loved Cyberpunk and not the others so it gets a disproportionate amount of my vote
Melicans wrote:
...the list is always the same series, just in a different order. They really need to start allowing write-ins instead of condensing well over 100 series into just six options. The same six options in almost every category. Ugh....The way it is now, its just meaningless at the end.
That has been the problem for a while now and it may be even more meaningless as I haven't seen any mention of how the "online votes" are weighed relative to that of the judges this time around...

I believe the "online voting" is really just an excuse to promote "engagement" (read repeat site visits and clicks) rather than having anything to do with the outcome. Lynzee, care to weigh in as you are wont to do??
WoodDude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:43 am Reply with quote
I genuinely don't get the 'this is just a popularity award' argument. The whole point of awards is to recognize the stuff people like and find exceptional. Of course Spy x Family, Attack on Titan, and all the most loved shows of the year would be all over the place. That's the whole point. What, do people want it to be like the Oscars where the Movie of the Year award goes to a small arthouse indie film that 99.9% of the public never saw? You want to watch a show where only a handful of critics to tell you what you should like rather than you yourself having the power to give recognition to anime you like? Seems odd to me.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:10 am Reply with quote
WoodDude wrote:
You want to watch a show where only a handful of critics to tell you what you should like rather than you yourself having the power to give recognition to anime you like? Seems odd to me.

On the contrary, I would rather see a group of people who have deep knowledge of the industry and have experienced a huge variety of media decide what they think the best shows of the year are. They probably have much more insightful opinions than your average anime fan.

Why should I even care about a popularity contest that is decided by the public at large picking between the six shows that have the widest appeal? We all know what's going to win, and it's going to be pablum. What's the point, unless you're also a fan of whatever's most popular and just want to pat yourself on the back for having the same opinions as everybody else?
Toyokaaaa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:57 am Reply with quote
redvelvetdoll wrote:

Same, it's a good adaptation. Considered how praised it was I expected it to make a cut but alas, it's easier to copypaste big series into every category.
Or maybe Crunchyroll staff didn't nominate it because it was marketed as """Boys Life""" series and therefore does not qualify as a romance Laughing
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:58 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

On the contrary, I would rather see a group of people who have deep knowledge of the industry and have experienced a huge variety of media decide what they think the best shows of the year are. They probably have much more insightful opinions than your average anime fan.

Why should I even care about a popularity contest that is decided by the public at large picking between the six shows that have the widest appeal? We all know what's going to win, and it's going to be pablum. What's the point, unless you're also a fan of whatever's most popular and just want to pat yourself on the back for having the same opinions as everybody else?

But then, some will dismiss those experts, question their reputations and say things like, "Who the heck are those so-called 'critics'? Never heard of 'em!" or "Meh, those voters must have been bought by the industry anyway. Don't care."

You see, whatever they do, people will get angry.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:00 am Reply with quote
I worked with what I was given and here's my votes

Anime of the Year: Spy X Family
Best English VA: Amanda Lee as Marin Kitagawa
Best Original Anime: Lycoris Recoil
Best Character Design: My Dress-Up Darling
Best Animation: Akebi's Sailor Uniform
Best New Series: My Dress-Up Darling
Best Continuing Series: Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Best Opening Sequence: Spy X Family
Best Ending Sequence: Call of the Night
Best Score: Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Best Film: Bubble
Best Anime Song: Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Best Director: Spy X Family
Best Main Character: Marin Kitagawa
Best Supporting Character: Anya Forger
Must Protect At All Costs Character: Anya Forger
Best Action: Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Best Comedy: Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Best Drama: Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Best Fantasy: Demon Slayer
Best Romance: My Dress-Up Darling
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:50 am Reply with quote
The thing is, no matter how “expert” the judges are, they will never reflect what’s in everyone’s heart, because people are so unique. This lineup definitely doesn’t represent my feelings at all, given I’m not interested in Attack on Titan and that one is so prominent here.

It does kind of feel like I don’t have a real voice. I still say Healer Girl is the best of the year and deserves better, but I don’t get to say that in the AotY votes here. Not to mention the fact that not a single shoujosei got nominated, no matter which way you look at it there’s something wrong with that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:48 pm Reply with quote
i always enjoy a good anime showdown but as usual cr's anime awards aint it.

it's a marketing exercise to pump the handful of shows every year that everyone already knows about, just look at how many repeated nominations there are. maybe the silver lining is people who've not heard more than a dozen new anime will hear about this marketing exercise and find out about 1 title that interests them, but the rest of the world would think there's only a few new anime worth watching every year if this is all they had to go with.

trying to make a dent in the mainstream by amplifying that core overlap part of online internet fandom is just making a lot of noise to me. it's not relevant nor interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4