• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I started reading the LN, and I think this part can put an end to the "is this a villainess story" debate:
Quote:
Noticing where she was standing, and the way everyone was hovering around her, an idea sparked in my memory. At that moment, it all came together for me.
"...Ah, I see. So my brother started making false accusations and broke off your engagement?"
Euphyllia lifted her gaze, as if to ask how I could have possibly known.
[...]
I remembered such stories from my past life, but to think that this sort of thing could actually happen!

So, what I guessed earlier was basically right. It's an intentional reference to the trope (and apparently Anis used to play otome games), but since the standard setup absolutely does not include an absent-minded-professor-princess crashing through the window and kidnapping the "villainess," it's just a one-off gag, not an integral part of the plot. If anything, it's kind of like that scene from My Next Life as a Villainess where the jerk squad attempts an accusation scene on Katarina--seemingly just because the original plot dictates it--but completely fails to convince anyone, because by that point she's already made half the school join her personal harem. The doomed-to-be-evil situation is more or less over at this stage, and the similar twist in Magical Revolution happens right in the first episode.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Just take a note from how the British handle any royal spouse and call her the Queen Consort Laughing

This would actually work well. Japanese has two words for queen: 女王 meaning queen regnant, and 王妃 meaning queen consort.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Based on the title seems next episode will finally deal with the Prince's actions... which is weird. You'd think the would have covered that sooner but better late than never.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching 19 shows this season, it's been a very good season. This is the first show to have an episode that I rated 5 stars. It was very powerful from start to finish. The talk between the two at the beginning, the drama over Anis' drug, Euphie's save, and the final talk with the dragon and the curse. Just an outstanding episode. A lot of times when shows try to do too much it feels like it's over in five minutes, but with this episode I found myself checking the time about 15 minutes in because it felt like it was going on for an hour (in a good way). Just an outstanding episode and I can't wait to see the repercussions, both from the curse and the prince. I'll be surprised if there isn't an assassination attempt on Anis in the future.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Washu0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anis has modeled her way of life on magical girl tropes...

Great insight into Anis's character, Richard! That definitely reframed my view of her.

Quote:
She needs a stabilizing hand to reign her in when she goes too far into her obsession

"Reign" should be "rein". "Rein in" and "free rein" are metaphors from horseback riding, and have nothing to do with the exercise of sovereign power.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm Reply with quote
And now, we can move on to arguing about whether this is a magical girl anime! I feel like Anis is drawing from a bunch of different things--the cutesy battle outfit of a magical girl, a flying broomstick of classical witches, the lightsaber of a jedi with shonen-anime limit-break powers, and... uh... drugs. All in addition to being a gadget fiend.

The one thing that confuses me about this show is that Euphie is supposedly a genius, but we don't see much evidence of it, and Anis seems like much more of a mad-genius character. She showed a little bit of magic knowledge this episode, and did a Megumin-style explosion, but that's about it. Maybe that will come into play more later, now that she's moved on from just getting (literally) carried around by Anis.

Otherwise, though, this was basically a perfect episode, and wraps up the initial girl-kidnaps-girl arc nicely. Looking forward to wherever it goes next.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Where are we getting this Magical Girl stuff from exactly. I only skimmed the review, but it feels like you pulled that out of nowhere.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This is for EP 5

Wonderful, wonderful review of a wonderful EP 5. Spot-on in the building of the characters and their relationships to themselves and each other.

One problem I am having is the English subtitles for the conversation at the end between the Dragon and Anis. It does not make full sense in either lore or the history of dragons who are ancient and known for their Wisdom both in Eastern and Western mythology.

Could someone fluent in Japanese and Japanese mythology, comment and explain this conversation?

Curses are usually evil but this could be a mistranslation. Perhaps the dragon is giving her knowledge and wisdom which can weight heavy on hearts and souls.

Comments please!
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:
Curses are usually evil but this could be a mistranslation. Perhaps the dragon is giving her knowledge and wisdom which can weight heavy on hearts and souls.

That was my interpretation of the situation, that she's being burdened with knowledge about the world that may become burdensome. Maybe even things like gods and reincarnation.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:

No, that wasn't a mistranslation. You'll understand why it's a curse in the next episode.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Obsessive. Seems like a loaded negative term to describe people struggling to achieve their dreams or their happiness. Are we obsessive in watching several series of anime a quarter straight from Japan. Are we obsessive in having a library of manga and light novels that is far larger than our normal science fiction and fantasy novels. Do we have friends and relatives that think our hobby is childish, a waste of money and time, and that we should just grow up.

Don't think it is fair to use this term to describe what our two main leads are reaching for. Doesn't that just make us like the parents that try to crush their children's dreams.

That said, this review has decidedly made me obsessive on putting this show on the front burner. Thanks for that.
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:58 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The one thing that confuses me about this show is that Euphie is supposedly a genius,

My read is that "genius" doesn't mean raw intellect but is more about talent in general, maybe "prodigy" being a better word for it. Like Euphie's ease at using multiple forms of magic. It could also be about her work ethic, like how dedicated she was to studying everything a future queen would need to know.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:38 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Are we obsessive in watching several series of anime a quarter straight from Japan. Are we obsessive in having a library of manga and light novels that is far larger than our normal science fiction and fantasy novels. Do we have friends and relatives that think our hobby is childish, a waste of money and time, and that we should just grow up.

Yes, probably?

Though I agree with the point I think you're making, which is that this sort of obsession and Anis obsession with magic aren't really the same thing at all. She's got some ideals and objectives she can't give up on, and is working incredibly hard (while wearing an idiot grin to try throw people off) at achieving those things despite some pretty clear obstacles in the form of being unable to use magic the "normal" way.

q_3 wrote:
My read is that "genius" doesn't mean raw intellect but is more about talent in general, maybe "prodigy" being a better word for it. Like Euphie's ease at using multiple forms of magic.

I agree with this interpretation. The "genius" is used in reference to her ability to wield several forms of magic when most people can only use one or two. But I think she's also supposed to be very smart, but she's always applied that in a very specific way which means her thinking has been pretty inflexible up to this point. RIght now, she's mostly just lost, and doesn't know how to think about things (timelines aren't clear, but I think it's not supposed to be more than about a week or so since the graduation ball?). She doesn't know how to apply her intelligence to the situations she finds herself in. Hopefully we'll see her find her feet and take a more active role in the partnership before the end of the season.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:20 am Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
The one thing that confuses me about this show is that Euphie is supposedly a genius,

My read is that "genius" doesn't mean raw intellect but is more about talent in general, maybe "prodigy" being a better word for it. Like Euphie's ease at using multiple forms of magic. It could also be about her work ethic, like how dedicated she was to studying everything a future queen would need to know.

I agree with you. The Japanese word 天才, used in the title to describe Euphilia, is closer in meaning to "gifted" or "talented" than "genius".
me_barron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:07 pm Reply with quote
So Anis has the beginning of a harem now? And two of them were his brother's love interests. Unexpected turn of events.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9