• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Cutthroat World of Shonen Jump Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:20 pm Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:

It's a harsh method but I do think it's for the best in the end. You can't argue with the results. The stuff that survive end up pulling in the numbers and popularity.

Which is funny since you will have people wondering why something they hate had a good run while something they liked got the hook.

Heishi wrote:
Such a shame Red Hood got axed, yet something like Black Clover continues to thrive.

Zimmer wrote:
Of course there are axed series I would have wanted to continue, but the ones that do make it really show why they did.

Joker#941490 wrote:
indeed better axed series were really deserving that attention like neru and phantom seer instead of red hood since it wasn't that special.

See

Quote:
Or an anti-fandom in cases like High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku, which was so reviled that its recent end after over two years of serialization was largely celebration.

Curious why it pissed off it’s audience so badly.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Never read it, but, reimaginations of classic fairy tales are always popular.

Except for when they’re not.

Suxinn wrote:
But Double Arts just feels like such a missed opportunity, especially since Komi ended up going on to write a school life, harem romcom (not a genre I'm into) instead of sticking to action adventure.

Personally I feel a writer shouldn’t shoehorn themselves to writing simply one genre.

It’s how the writer of Elfen Lied wrote another series prior to that i.e. Nononono from what I’ve read isn’t as violent or dark as the former.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:31 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Quote:
Or an anti-fandom in cases like High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku, which was so reviled that its recent end after over two years of serialization was largely celebration.

Curious why it pissed off it’s audience so badly.

There's a few factors to why it, specifically, got so much hate.

First, it's a gag series, and the vocal online fanbase of WSJ tends to dislike most of those. Some comedies get a following, but most series that are just wacky jokes with no real plot tend to do poorly over here. It's also got a very particular sense of humor that borderlines on anti-humor that even a lot of comedy fans didn't respond well to.

Second, compounding that, it released in 2020, a year that saw a number of gag series launch in the magazine during a time when a lot of bigger action series were either ending or getting cancelled. This started a pretty persistent rumor that somebody in Shueisha was pushing for more comedy series, or trying to push out action series. Fans who like battle manga - or in some cases only want battle manga - saw HSF (and Me & Roboco to a lesser extent) as essentially a symbol of an apparent trend that they despised.

Third, it launched in the same batch of new titles as Phantom Seer, a series that also garnered a significant fanbase in the west but ended up cancelled under somewhat unusual circumstances. Again, fair or not, people saw this as proof that gag series were being given special treatment. HSF then continued through 2021-2022, thus outliving the aforementioned Red Hood and Ayashimon.

Fourth, it genuinely did have pretty dismal sales. By all accounts it was only selling a fraction of what even other comedy series were making, and less than several of the series it outlived. That added more fuel to the nepotism conspiracy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:16 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Useful insight

Not too surprised at some of those points. But of course the wrong people/things have to catch heat for something that’s not their fault.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:45 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Personally I feel a writer shouldn’t shoehorn themselves to writing simply one genre.

It’s how the writer of Elfen Lied wrote another series prior to that i.e. Nononono from what I’ve read isn’t as violent or dark as the former.

I mean, I don't disagree, but prior to Nisekoi, Komi clearly wanted to write an action adventure series. All his oneshots both before and after Double Arts was action adventure, and even the influences he names (One Piece, Jojo, Nausicaa, etc.) are mostly action adventure. This wasn't a case of Arakawa growing up on a farm and so wanted to write a farming manga. (And her farming manga was good!) This felt more like a case of him trying out a new genre by happenstance (the original Nisekoi oneshot actually even had a fair amount of action in it iirc) and then ending up getting popular enough to be serialized again, so he ran with it. I mean, Nisekoi wasn't bad (I did read it), and I think as a harem, it's better than most others, but I feel like his passion was action adventure, so I hope he's able to pursue that now.

Also, Nononono was, uh, pretty quite dark and violent. I wouldn't even say it wasn't as dark/violent as Elfen Lied. With Elfen Lied, at least the world itself was dark, but in Nononono, bad things happened frequently in a modern day, non-fantasy setting, so it felt even more noticeable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3