• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin (TV 2023) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

This show is starting to grow on me. It's formula so far as been stunningly simple: somebody Kenshin knows gets in a jam and then Kenshin swoops down and effortlessly takes out a horde of bad guys... simple, but effective. Looks like we'll be meeting another key member of the team next week. Looking forward to it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:08 pm Reply with quote

They don't stray too far from what has come before, so no complaints about what was presented. Again, they've given a brief exposition on the wooden cannon used by the ruffians, but unlike the previous Bakumatsu history lesson this was explained in the original airing as it was more niche (not through a narrator like this week, but my memory is hazy. I know for certain there was an explainer in the source material about the cannon, anyone who's played Fall of the Samurai will recognise this antique). Some of the episode's little details (the sushi, the Yakuza assassin getting sent through the roof, the cannon finale) look better now that they've been given the 21st century treatment.

If there are any differences with the original episode, I find it more difficult to spot off-hand. Only one that came to mind is Kenshin's positioning in the Dojo during the cannon part.

Next week closes off the main character introductory arcs, and what happens after this is anyone's guess. I expect they'll go with spoiler[Udo Jin-E] if they're keeping to the schedule, and that the quarter will finish with spoiler[the Oniwabanshuu]. There's enough time to squeeze both in to a quarter's worth of episodes. No fillers, unlike the original airing which had MUCH more time to work with.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 3

This show is starting to grow on me. It's formula so far as been stunningly simple: somebody Kenshin knows gets in a jam and then Kenshin swoops down and effortlessly takes out a horde of bad guys... simple, but effective. Looks like we'll be meeting another key member of the team next week. Looking forward to it.

Agreed, though the police never being there unless they are starting shit bothers me. The sword wielding police show up to play around with one guy with a sword, but have a large group of bandits run around slashing people or firing a cannon and not a peep is to be heard from any kind of policie during the entire incident.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 03: Kasshin-Ryuu・Reborn

Summary:

Yahiko continues to be abused by the yakuza he was working for, when Kenshin appears and intimidates their boss into letting him go. After being freed, Yahiko hesitates on joining and learning Kamiya Kasshin-Ryuu from Kaoru, until she saves a couple of former students from a pursing gang of bandits.

Comments:

I'm loving the restraint in the pacing. Through three episodes, they're barely showing any of Kenshin's actual ability and basically saving it up for, what I'm hoping will be, some great fights towards the end of the first cour. Most of the conflict resolution, so far, has been as simple as Kenshin giving people a good stare-down, with the occasional display of swordsman prowess. It should be interesting to see how he handles Sano in the next episode. Although, I'm more excited how they'll word their battle of ideals.

I also thought this episode did a great job of emphasizing the old adage of not judging a book by its cover. You'd think with Yahiko picking pockets for the yakuza, he'd wouldn't be a great kid. But he oozes pride and honor just as much as a main character would in any other franchise. And then you have Kaoru's former students, who you'd think were the victims after being chased by that gang, but were actually the perpetrators of their own stupidity.

I wonder if they'll delve a little more into the philosophy of Kasshin-Ryuu or any of the other combat styles. Not really a spoiler, but a lot of the sword and martial arts forms used by the characters in this series are also a kind of mirror into their ideologies and personalities. But I suppose that's always been true for most practitioners of any form (of combat, performing arts, etc.) that you are what you practice. Even if they just mention the martial philosophies in concise blurbs, I think that'd be a great way to, not only help build the characters, but also expand on the notion that these philosophies are ways of living (for better or worse, which, of course, will depend on the character and your own personal preferences).

I'm really liking Yahiko's progression in just this one episode, though. There are so many characters that come, later, and from all different facets or circumstances, I can't wait to discuss what makes them tick and why they fascinate me.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:53 pm; edited 6 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:43 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Agreed, though the police never being there unless they are starting shit bothers me. The sword wielding police show up to play around with one guy with a sword, but have a large group of bandits run around slashing people or firing a cannon and not a peep is to be heard from any kind of police during the entire incident.

This is just me spit-balling, but my guess is that it has to do with the dojo's proximity. They don't ever actually tell/show you in other iterations, but I think Kamiya Dojo is technically a little further out from the main city, like, basically in the in suburbs, if you were to imagine a more modern-day reference. It's probably a good 15+ minute leisurely walk to get from there to the more populated areas of Tokyo.

So chances are, the police wouldn't walk/run all the way out there, anyway. And let's also just say maybe Yamagata gave some kind of special exemption to that area, since he presumably knows Kenshin is temporarily living out there. Then again, I could also play the "trash" card, again, and keep telling you all these villains continue to be small fry and are not worth the effort of putting in the extra work to make sense of things Wink.

While the show has a good amount of historical elements and grounded-ness to it, the occasional suspension of disbelief will still be required.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:42 pm Reply with quote
@ Tony K. - I'm really happy that you as an OG Rurouni Kenshin viewer are closely following this reboot. I'm interested in any differences between this and the original as well as the informed perspective you bring. My strong, strong instinct is that sticking with this title is going to be very rewarding. I mean, I already enjoy it for what it is, but I suspect it will really kick into a higher gear for me at some point.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The Kyoto arc for this series (which probably won't air till next year) is my favorite story arc, ever. To me, the battle of ideals is what makes Kenshin so unique. And these ideals aren't only a mirror of the characters' personalities, but also a reflection of the times. Heck, not just the times they were living in, but for all time, everywhere. I feel there's that much universal carryover.

And with (hopefully) no filler to worry about, the pacing and buildup of this first season should be a pretty good appetizer leading into the main course. This season, there should be four encounters with antagonists I would label as "major." Encounters 1, 2, and 4, will definitely be great. #3 might be iffy. But that could change, depending on if they decide to improve the original writing around him or not.

So far, RK23 is at about the same pace as 96. Once Sanosuke gets recruited, things will definitely kick into higher gear with major baddie #1 Very Happy.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:41 am Reply with quote

I prefer the original VA for Sanosuke. Not that this version's is bad, but the original one put in too iconic a performance and it's a hard act to follow. Although the episode more or less conforms with what I expected, it's slightly disappointing they dragged it out. If they wanted to, they could have squeezed it into one episode, epilogue and all. But the decision has been made and perhaps it's better this way as the animators get more time to do the actual fight sequence with more time allocated to it.

Although narration has been added to this airing, not everything is explained to the audience. The names bandied about by the drunkards are instantly familiar to a Japanese audience, but they'll fly over the heads of everyone else who didn't take a course in Bakumatsu and Meiji Japanese History. In the context of this episode, it doesn't matter who they are since as Yahiko rightly pointed out the drunkards don't deserve to advocate democracy when they're such terrible people. As for the Suntetsu, it's enough to know it was one of the hidden weapons which the Meiji police were worried about when discussing Kenshin's openly wielded sword, as is the cane sword wielded by one of the other drunkards. The narration did cover the change in food culture for Tokyo city dwellers after the revolution, which I thought was a nice touch.

Probably just me but Zanza's partner looks a lot smaller when wrapped up. I think the size wasn't concealed quite as much in the original as the weapon looked huge even when wrapped back then. This time round it looks smaller (so much so Yahiko thought it was a spear) which might be for the best as the deception would be less believable if it were its original size when wrapped up.

Gorotsuki Nagaya = Hoodlums Longhouse. I didn't understand the significance of it back then, but I certainly do now. Not sure why the translators left it as it was even though they're quite keen on translating some terms to plain English.

Episode five to close this off, so they'll use the first half for the fight and the aftermath and probably the next one after that to start the next story arc with no fillers. THAT one I'm looking forward to, as it was done quite well in the original and the movies and I'm keen to see if these animators can improve on the final product.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:00 am Reply with quote
An interesting episode. I always have to laugh at people speaking about protecting the weak while they are oppressing/treating badly people weaker than themselves. Also interesting to have an opponent who does not fall after a single hit from Kenshin. In fact, the ability to tank hits like that is something quite special. The most special thing of all is the Zanbato though. Anime/manga etc often have people wield huge sword, so it is easy to think of those kinds of weapons as nothing but fiction.
Aylinn_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
And that's what I see here. Who is this show meant for? The young generation of anime viewers? Millennials who should feel nostalgic for the original series?

After 4 episodes, I think it was made for me. As someone who watched Tsuioku-hen, first, years ago, I got really interested in Kenshin's character and then tried to watch the TV series, but was turned off by the stark contrast in tone and Kenshin making clown faces in the 90s anime.

I must say I really appreciate the fact that they seem to have thrown the over the top goofiness out of the window and toned down the new anime, now maybe I will be able to finally watch the rest of the story after many years.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn_ wrote:
As someone who watched Tsuioku-hen, first, years ago, I got really interested in Kenshin's character and then tried to watch the TV series, but was turned off by the stark contrast in tone and Kenshin making clown faces in the 90s anime.

RK96 had a lot of typical '90s shounen humor and even added some extra characters to make the show feel more wholesome. I didn't mind those aspects too much, but the filler in season one definitely affected the pacing after a certain point.

Kenshin's oro and goofy faces are in the manga as well, but I agree that this new series is toning a lot of the lightheartedness down and making the comedic elements more of an afterthought, compared to RK96.

It's a shame you saw Tsuioku-hen first, and then proceeded to the series. That OAV is so much more violent, tragic, and somber in tone, that going to watch the series, afterwards, is a complete 180 in the other direction and can be a big tonal shock. I had previously told people that the best order to experience the franchise in was:

- Seasons 1-2 of RK96 (Tokyo and Kyoto arcs)
- Tsuioku-hen OAV (flashback leading into Jinchuu arc)
- The rest of manga (Jinchuu arc)

The campiness in RK96 (which I personally feel is more of a season one thing) takes some getting used to. But season two was pretty much a panel-to-cel adaptation. And then the jump to the darker Tsuioku-hen OAV is the chef's kiss. I think Jinchuu is a step down from Kyoto, but we'll see how/if they handle it a little differently, now that it's finally getting an anime adaption.

The way things are shaping up, so far, it looks like RK23 will probably be the new definitive experience, though.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aylinn_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:49 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
It's a shame you saw Tsuioku-hen first, and then proceeded to the series. That OAV is so much more violent, tragic, and somber in tone, that going to watch the series, afterwards, is a complete 180 in the other direction and can be a big tonal shock.

Yeah, that was the problem. The new anime fixes this problem for me. The shift is still there, but this time it is not so stark. At least for now I am willing to continue watching this time.

Besides, I think it is better that the new anime is more toned down. This story has a slow start, I saw even fans admit that the first arc is nothing spectacular. So anyone who is bored may go and watch Tsuioku-hen, see if this picks their interest and then return to the new anime. The contrast is not so stark now and it will not feel like 180° change of direction.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.

Episode 04: The Fighter for Hire・Sagara Sanosuke

Summary:

While dining on hot-pot at the local restaurant Akabeko, Kenshin and company overhear a trio of men complaining about politicians, who also strike Ms. Tae, the head waitress, in their drunken stupor. A young man named Sagara Sanosuke steps up to defend Tae, then challenges the lead man, easily defeating him. Later, it is revealed Sanosuke is a fighter that was hired by the Hiruma brothers to exact revenge on Kenshin.

Comments:

While it won't be concluded or as thoroughly explained till the next episode, the stakes have been slightly raised. Not so much from a battling perspective, but from the idealistic side.

Sano has a bit of a weird introduction, as it's kind of obvious from the opening credits that he does become a part of team Kenshin, and yet he's fighting him for this and the next episode. Not to mention he dawns the character aku ("bad") all over his back. So is he really a bad guy, or does he become more of an anti-hero?

At any rate, we know he's pretty tough. He took a direct hit from a suntestu to the head and broke the other guy's hand, which was actually the whole forearm in the manga. But again, I'm loving the restraint and director's ability to keep things toned down and not feel too over-the-top (yet?). Then of course, Kenshin even hit Sano, which would've knocked any other trash antagonist out, but he got back up like it was nothing.

However, the key thing to observe is Sano's anger. He goes a little out of his way to do some research and confirm some facts about Kenshin. And after he discovers that Kenshin was an imperialist, you can clearly see Sano is pissed off about something (which will be revealed in Episode 05). A recurring theme in the series will be the residual ideologies from Bakumatsu, how events and circumstances occurred for certain characters, and how Bakumatsu and those personal events shaped their mindsets. Kenshin, more or less, helps some of them change their ways. But he can't change everyone. And that's where the conflicts come in.

I was initially a little underwhelmed by this new Sano's voice. The previous VA, Yuuji Ueda, had this very distinct raspy quality that really fit the whole "hot head from Ruffian Row" theme very well. He had this very subtle, yet constant growl to his voice. But this new guy, Taku Yashiro, who I have no previous exposure to, seems a little soft. But when he got angry in his declaration to fight Kenshin, I heard great potential, as I feel he found that raspy growl for that particular heated moment, which Sano will have some similar moments of in other parts of the story, later.

Very good intro for him, though. I'm looking forward to the next episode for even more of the fine details.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:06 pm Reply with quote

No surprises again, animators are playing it safe with the adaptation. Didn't need much of a rework anyway; provided most of the original material crucial to the tale was animated there wasn't much need to reinvent the wheel.

I think this is the first episode where Kenshin actually calls out his moves, he did the drop slash against Gouhei in episode one but didn't say anything. Likewise his multi-hit attacks were actually called this time round. I'm not fond of this particular convention from decades ago, but this is how it runs and I'll have to put up with it for the rest of the adaptation. This was where the movies did better for me, but mediums are different and adaptations don't need to play by the same formulae every time.

Since Sanosuke's past is so integral to his current outlook and approach to fights, the narrator had to step in. Very few people know about Sanosuke's old regiment, so explaining why they were formed and their eventual fate is compulsory for any adaptation or too much is lost. Another example of the corruption that besets every new regime winning political power through force of arms, and something Kenshin deeply despises and has said as much in previous episodes.

Post-credits, no surprise he's showing next. I like the new VA's voice, fits well with what I remember from the old version. There's more visual impact from his signature ability as well, so the showdown should be one to look forward to. One of the more underrated villains in this franchise in my opinion, but he did get his share of the limelight in the movies. The only question is how long this arc will last, as there appears to be no time for filler and the end-point for this adaptation is more or less determined from the OP animation.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:03 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke's past explains a lot of things. I wonder if the captain from his old regiment knew what was going to happen as was at peace with it. From his short conversation while looking out over a village he seemed happy for the progress that had been made for the common folk. The episode also made clear that the revolution did not fail completely, but I would not call it a resounding success either.

Like in other anime, I do always question the never kill belief that a mc has. The guy with the guns is never going to give up and it has become abundantly clear that he will do anything he can to get his way. It would be easy to target someone while Kenshin is not present and that makes me wonder the wisdom of it all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8