• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime You Should Have Watched in Spring 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruddor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget, of course, the king of train wrecks of Spring 2013: Valvrave the Liberator!
Okay look, this show wasn't exactly good, but damn was it entertaining.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:49 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Part-Timer was very cute, shame it didn't have a follow-up.

Are you in denial or do you actually not know about the second season (and upcoming third) season?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:19 am Reply with quote
Spring 2013 also had:
DATE A LIVE, which is getting its 5th season in the near future.
The wacky Mushibugyou. you should give it a watch.
Hayate no Gotoku!: Cuties, back when Manglobe was still around.
There was also; RDG: Red Data Girl, Yuyushiki and the second season of Yondemasu yo.

Of course, there was also, Death Billiards which 2 years later gave us Death Parade.

Spring 2013 was a really fun season.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:13 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Lots of giant robots, dictators and super powered villains in military uniforms or something... I think there was a girl, too...?

This comment made me laugh way too much. Thanks for the best description for every mech show ever, because I'm probably going to think this every time I watch one now. Laughing
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:24 am Reply with quote
Oreimo isn't a good anime by any sensible definition, but it's certainly one of the biggest memes in the entire subculture, capped off with an ending that skewers the entire show and everyone who watched it in a way that's somehow both predictable and completely ludicrous. A unique sort of trainwreck, worth experiencing if only for that reason.

Flowers of Evil, however... feels like a show for people who think political discussions on Reddit aren't cynical enough. SNAFU is kind of along the same lines, but much more palatable, both in terms of not making people absolute monsters, and by not using such an incredibly ugly animation style.
theotheranimeman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:30 am Reply with quote
AliceTheHare wrote:
The dig directed at Karneval feels bizarre and unnecessary, especially since that season had much weirder and more infamous productions than that show.

Honestly, this would have been a really great series of articles if someone else wrote it. The idea is great, but this author keeps shitting on the most random shows without really giving solid explanations a lot of the time. His writing has this boomer energy and air of self-importance that just lowers the quality of the articles so much for me.

I don't care about Oreimo at all and I doubt I'll ever watch it, but the rant about it in this article is so self-indulgent.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Part-Timer was very cute, shame it didn't have a follow-up.

Are you in denial or do you actually not know about the second season (and upcoming third) season?

Emerje

My point was that I thought it was very bad, yes. I will ignore the 3rd season as well.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised at how many of the shows mentioned still have material coming out to this day. Rather than focusing on things like Titan and SNAFU that are still present and at the forefront of fan's minds, I think this article may have been better served by series that didn't get sequels/continuations, like it did with Flowers of Evil and Gargantua. And do we really need to talk about Naruto or One Piece?

Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat and Nyaruko W would have been perfect choices as mostly forgotten series from that season. You could have written about Aiura and Muromi-san to include some shorts that are never discussed anymore. And instead of the numerous ongoing shonen series, why not pick something like Space Brothers?

Not to belabour, but my point is that this article would have been more interesting if it didn't discuss series that continue airing to this day.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:03 am Reply with quote
Wow, here I thought PhotoKano was a pretty unassuming "not actually harem" Amagami-SS-style romance anime with mild to moderate amounts of fanservice. But apparently it is/was an "abomination" for some reason. Other not-yet-mentioned highlights from the season include:
* Leviathan: The Last Defense, an okayish JRPG adaptation from Gonzo.
* Hayate the Combat Butler: Cuties, the last TV incarnation of the long-running franchise, and one where you'll be somewhat lost if you haven't read the manga. Granted, pretty much nothing of note actually happens in this series, but the initial setup and living arrangements of the characters comes out of left field.
* Haitai Nanafa S2, a short-episode "CGDCT in rural area" series in the vein of Non Non Biyori.
* Samurai Bride and Mushibugyou, two straight-up "what you expect is what you get" action/ecchi series in historical/samurai settings.

I did somewhat like Red Data Girl, although it's a crying shame we never got it on Blu-Ray. Also had some interest in going back and watching Severing Crime Edge.
JuanDmarco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:25 am Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
Onimai was another recent incest anime everyone loved so it's not like it was some old trend that died off. Still pretty popular and always will be, I imagine.

Onimai did a lot of weird stuff, but it didn't even entertain the incest route.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:10 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me, I still need to watch Gargantia. Got the BRD ages ago and it's just been sitting on my shelf since.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:05 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Other gems from 2013:
- Encouragement of Climb / Yama no Susume, the first season with the charming mountain climbing girls.
- Non Non Byori, the ur-example of the "nothing ever happens" [but I can't stop watching] slice of life series. Nyanpasu!

- Silver Spoon, our first foray into the world of an agricultural high school. Decidedly the weaker of the two, but the foundation for the outstanding second season.

My only issue with Yama no Susume is that I wish there had been two seasons of full episodes instead of the two seasons of shorts, a season of half-lengths shows, and a final season of full length shows but one-third devoted to a recap. One of the all-time great CGDCT/SOL shows (up there with Yuru CampΔ).

Non Non Byori does the miracle of having small children who are not annoying (Renge and friends).

Silver Spoon's main fault is not having a third season to cover more of the source material.
CrimeVsCrime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
JuanDmarco wrote:
Onimai did a lot of weird stuff, but it didn't even entertain the incest route.

I mean, there's tons of scenes and jokes about Mihari dressing up Mahiro and sexualizing him, making lolsex jokes like the two of them playing video games but it's framed like them having sex with awkward comments like "Slow down, I'm at the edge and almost there!" "Ah, onii-chan, so this is your weak spot, hmm?" and lots of implications about them bathing and sharing dressing rooms together and seeing each other naked. At the very least there's tons of baiting and pandering to that crowd.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:36 pm Reply with quote
CrimeVsCrime wrote:
I mean, there's tons of scenes and jokes about Mihari dressing up Mahiro and sexualizing him, making lolsex jokes like the two of them playing video games but it's framed like them having sex with awkward comments like "Slow down, I'm at the edge and almost there!" "Ah, onii-chan, so this is your weak spot, hmm?" and lots of implications about them bathing and sharing dressing rooms together and seeing each other naked. At the very least there's tons of baiting and pandering to that crowd.

As I recall, it's also consistently explicit that Mahiro has no sexual interest in Mihari whatsoever.

(To her chagrin. Which is a bit more questionable.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3