• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluesPro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:34 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
This adaption is really benefitting from all the material that was released in-between the ending of the original anime, and even the manga, that filled out the setting and characters and can now be used within this anime. Like Shinji's Bankai or the stuff with Ichigo.

Kubo being heavily involved helps a lot too.

Makes me wonder how different if would've been had they adapted the arc while the manga was still running.

It's not benefitting from Shinji's bankai at all. They took an incredibly impressive scene where Shinji took out a massive horde of hollows and turned it into a complete anti-climax with no build-up where Shinji takes out like a half dozen soldiers in still frames.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I do think Shinji's Bankai scene from the novel was better (I still hold mild hope that Pierrot adapts the novel eventually) but I think the anime's was fine for what it was. I would've had the scene last a bit longer, but I guess they are pressed for time.
freebird1994

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:04 pm Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
A bit confused with the comparison to Aizen here and the whole "part of my plan" thing. I don't really feel as though what Yhwach is doing here is that unexpected. We already knew Vollstandig was a thing in cour 1, so should we not be expecting the Sternritter to use it in these battles? Like yeah, I think 4 in total were somewhat hindered because they had a stolen Bankai, but that still leaves a dozen or so other Sternritter that are freely able to use it should they choose to as we already saw Quilge do against Ichigo.

Look, I don't want to get too particular into spoilers cause I have read this entire arc but the comparisons to aizen here are very apt. It is no exaggeration to say spoiler[ Yhwach is ridiculous in how he apparently pretty much knows EXACTLY how this entire war will go. Remember that scene where he tried to stab ichigo in the neck and was surpised by Blute Vena? Hope you enjoyed it cause it was basically the only time in this entire arc he was legitimately surprised by something until he is defeated.]

I think the main reason aizen isn't as hated for this aspect of his character comparatively(at least by me) is because his reason for being the "it was all part of the plan" guy is much more understandable than Yhwachs. Aizen was a Captain. He was a member of their society. He knew everyone personally. Of course he would know them inside and out. It's not about it being unexpected. It's just repetitive, an issue bleach suffers from as a series.
freebird1994

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Unculturedman wrote:
The problem is the Soul Society characters became incredibly popular, and by and large were more popular than the actual main cast on personality and character design alone. This means that Kubo needed to inject them into the story at all times or else he'd lose readers because outside of the Shinigami cast, the series didn't have much going for it due to Kubo's constant and repeated abandonment of any and all themes or substance. Eventually what ended up happening is these characters are just always around because fans love them, so we need stuff for them to busy themselves doing, like fighting a random war against a gaggle of even more simplistic characters who only exist so we can see our favorite characters bust out new moves. The narrative justification for this war's existence is so horribly underdeveloped I can only see it as an excuse for more shallow fights. The poor excuse for a narrative stalls until these battles can conclude so we can get into the next batch. That's all Bleach really is.

Honestly, to defend bleach a little bit here, having a large cast is not necessarily a problem. I mean One Piece is one of the best series going right now and its cast is MASSIVE and previously introduced characters keep coming back all the time. And credit where credit is due, when you can create a massive group of character all of whom have their own unique designs and personalities that are quite fun and/or memorable, that is genuinely impressive and I don't see it necessarily as a crutch to the series to keep bringing them back. I think it's just a matter of deploying these characters better into the main series.

Look this might be just me, but Ichigo is a little too bland as a lead character. I think he is actually at his best as a character and personality when he is having to interact with all the wacky characters in the soul society. His role to basically be the straight man in any given situation with the rest of the Soul Society cast is really fun IMO. I have seen the solo filler episodes and actually played the Brave Souls mobile game and you can read through a lot of different side story's and what-if type stories featuring a lot of the cast and honestly, their personalities really bring a unique feel to the story that I don't get quite as much from other Shonen like MHA, Naruto, or even One Piece.

This is basically all to say that the usage of the Soul Society cast, IMO, is not a bad thing. The issue is just the deployment of these characters, and the times when they need to be "retired" that the series struggles with.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:33 pm Reply with quote
You're right that there's nothing inherently bad about having a large cast of characters, provided the author uses them effectively. The issue is that by and large, Kubo doesn't. The majority of characters he dumps on the reader/viewer are extremely one-note, and we're not given any real characterization beyond that, or reason to care about their well-being. Hell, even after a few hundred anime episodes there were probably almost a third of the captains/lieutenants whose names I couldn't remember even if you held a gun to my head. Any time there was a major conflict, the same half-dozen or so Soul Society characters would show up to save the day, no doubt because they were at the top of the character polls. (Not that it was Kubo's fault, but this was especially egregious in the anime filler.) Good authors can take a large cast and work them into the story in interesting ways, but Kubo never managed to do that well.

As for Ichigo, I think his main problem is that he doesn't have any true motivations of his own; in other words, he's very much a reactive character instead of a proactive one. Think of almost any protagonist of a popular battle shonen, and they have some basic drive or desire writ large on their entire character. Luffy wants to find the One Piece and become King of the Pirates. Naruto wants to become Hokage and earn his village's respect. Deku wants to become a great pro hero and live up to his idol All Might. Edward Elric wants to gain enough knowledge to get back what was taken from him and his brother. Gon wants to become a professional Hunter so that he can eventually track down his dad. Kenshin wants to use his blade to save people to make up for his murderous past. You can go on and on with this. But what does Ichigo want? Sure, to protect his friends and family, but any good shonen protagonist does that by default. What else is there to him? Unfortunately, not much; he mostly just gets dragged into events by external forces and then reacts to them. It's a hard ask to write a good shonen protagonist like that.
Unculturedman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:12 am Reply with quote
@freebird1994

I agree that large casts are not necessarily a problem. Bleach just handles it very poorly. First of all I don't think Bleach has a large enough world to justify having hundreds of characters running around. Naruto and especially One Piece, or other series like Hunter x Hunter, have massive sprawling worlds with densely populated islands countries, lands etc. It is far more acceptable to have hundreds of characters running around because the world being so large of course you'll have tons of characters. No other series introduces like 40 new characters all at once in one arc and expects you to keep track of and care about them all. Ultimately, most of them get boiled down to just their quirky personalities and character gags. They're not interesting characters at all, and these other series have far better casts and much better character writing, but that's besides the point.

Also I never thought Ichigo's interactions with the other characters felt genuine. In every interaction with the Soul Reaper characters, he basically just treats them all exactly the same with his brand of, like you said, playing the straight man. But that's it. There's no actual variation or complexity to any of the relationships he has. When characters speak highly of Naruto and Luffy, they usually have earned it, through their selfless actions and genuine attempts to understand and connect with the people they meet. Ichigo basically does nothing to earn the incredible deep respect (borderline worship) of Soul society after just one romp through the town to save a girl while interacting with as few people as possible. In the Fullbring arc, they flat out say Ichigo is the one person who was able to change Soul Society's stagnant ways after a million years. After running through the town, barely talking to anyone and then conveniently teaming up with them in the Arrancar saga because their goals happened to align. Yup what a powerful and sincere influence he had. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Last edited by Unculturedman on Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:15 am Reply with quote
What's wrong with Ichigo being a reactionary character?

I think this idea that reactionary characters are bad is kinda dumb.
BluesPro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:27 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I do think Shinji's Bankai scene from the novel was better (I still hold mild hope that Pierrot adapts the novel eventually) but I think the anime's was fine for what it was. I would've had the scene last a bit longer, but I guess they are pressed for time.

It's really not fine for what it was. It was a roughly 20 second scene thrown unceremoniously into the middle of an episode with no fanfare and a combination of bad CG and bad stills, for a bankai reveal.

It also narratively undercut the bankai itself, by horribly downplaying how dangerous it is supposed to be through minimizing the amount of damage it does, among other things. Please note Pierrot, there's a reason why Narita concocted the scenario of CFYOW such that Shinji has to shoo everyone away before using it - it's as though he knows how to write, and how to build suspense and establish something is powerful.

The episode would have been better if they had just not included Shinji using bankai at all. Maybe give that time to actually having BG9 say his schrift, the softest softball they possibly could have had to hit for this series.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:23 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Though, nobody will convince me that all of Bleach's final's woes don't come from how the previous arc was cut short because everybody hated it and Kubo was probably depressed.

Amazing that it's 2023 and people are still spouting this nonsense. Super Eyepatch Wolf's bullshit just won't wash off.

Top Gun wrote:
As for Ichigo, I think his main problem is that he doesn't have any true motivations of his own; in other words, he's very much a reactive character instead of a proactive one. Think of almost any protagonist of a popular battle shonen, and they have some basic drive or desire writ large on their entire character. Luffy wants to find the One Piece and become King of the Pirates. Naruto wants to become Hokage and earn his village's respect. Deku wants to become a great pro hero and live up to his idol All Might. Edward Elric wants to gain enough knowledge to get back what was taken from him and his brother. Gon wants to become a professional Hunter so that he can eventually track down his dad. Kenshin wants to use his blade to save people to make up for his murderous past. You can go on and on with this. But what does Ichigo want? Sure, to protect his friends and family, but any good shonen protagonist does that by default. What else is there to him? Unfortunately, not much; he mostly just gets dragged into events by external forces and then reacts to them. It's a hard ask to write a good shonen protagonist like that.

This is a common misunderstanding of Ichigo's character. People think he's reactive because he doesn't have to sort of easy to parse goal that many other shounen MC's do, but that was never Ichigo's role.

Ichigo's role is catalytic. His actions, which are totally unbound by Soul Society's 10,000 year old conservatism and authoritarianism serve to inspire change in the ranks of the Soul Reapers and get them to see the flaws and rot in their own society.

BluesPro wrote:
It's really not fine for what it was. It was a roughly 20 second scene thrown unceremoniously into the middle of an episode with no fanfare and a combination of bad CG and bad stills, for a bankai reveal.

It also narratively undercut the bankai itself, by horribly downplaying how dangerous it is supposed to be through minimizing the amount of damage it does, among other things. Please note Pierrot, there's a reason why Narita concocted the scenario of CFYOW such that Shinji has to shoo everyone away before using it - it's as though he knows how to write, and how to build suspense and establish something is powerful.

The episode would have been better if they had just not included Shinji using bankai at all. Maybe give that time to actually having BG9 say his schrift, the softest softball they possibly could have had to hit for this series.

No one cares about BG9's schrift though, while everyone wants to see Shinji's Bankai. It's also pretty unfair to say the scene undercut how dangerous the Bankai was, even if I do agree it wasn't quite as well built up as it was in the novel. This scene had it's own gravitas to it.
Unculturedman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Ichigo's role is catalytic. His actions, which are totally unbound by Soul Society's 10,000 year old conservatism and authoritarianism serve to inspire change in the ranks of the Soul Reapers and get them to see the flaws and rot in their own society.

See, this would be all well and good if it was written well at all, or just written in general. Unfortunately it just isn’t. Ichigo cares nothing about the Soul Society’s laws, culture, traditions etc. and only cares in the moment because someone he cares about is going to die. There’s nothing organic about how Soul Society comes to appreciate (worship) Ichigo for “changing the stagnant society” while also not really giving a damn about the actual culture, laws or people. He shows up, saves rukia, then leaves, and that was somehow enough to change stagnant views or whatever. A completely underdeveloped plot point that only exists to make it seem like Ichigo made some kind of impact when the actual writing does not reflect that at all. Fish out of water stories where the outsider protagonist challenges age old conceptions and reveals hidden truths about a people or culture (ex: Final Fantasy X) can be very powerful stories, but Bleach is not one of them. The writing simply wasn’t good enough in terms of character or world building to pull that off, because bleach really isn’t about anything. It’s an overly long and repetitive string of 1v1 fights featuring dozens of poorly written characters with the shoddiest excuse for a plot as connective tissue I’ve ever seen in a shonen.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Unculturedman is exactly right. I actually just watched that scene at the end of the first anime run that an earlier poster mentioned, when Yamamoto cites Ichigo bringing this "great change" to the Soul Society as the reason why he helps him get his powers back, and I laughed out loud in the moment because Ichigo didn't change a thing. Remember all the way back at the start of the series, when Chad finds the soul of that boy stuck in a bird? Rukia lies to his face when she purifies him, saying that the Soul Society is a "wonderful place" where he'll be reunited with his mother. (It's made even more egregious when we eventually get Rukia's backstory, because she knows damn well how terrible it really is.) Fast-forward a bit, and Ichigo meets the kid in the Soul Society, and of course he never found is mom and is living with some stranger. Now any shonen protagonist worth their salt would have gone all ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH and punched their way through the Soul Society until that kid was reunited with his mom, but Ichigo doesn't even bat an eye, and the series completely forgets the kid ever existed, and the Soul Society remains a horrific place to live for anyone who isn't a Soul Reaper. Seriously, if the "good" part of the afterlife consists of living in dirt-poor feudal Japan for millennia, completely separated from my family and friends, then I'm taking my chances with hell.

Oh, and lest someone try to claim that these big changes happen anyway after Yamamoto says this, I know for a fact that one of the very last panels in the entire manga is a shot of spoiler[the Sokyoku being rebuilt. So Rukia has to wake up every morning and stare at that symbol of ultimate injustice that almost killed her.] Real nice, Soul Society.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
and the Soul Society remains a horrific place to live for anyone who isn't a Soul Reaper. Seriously, if the "good" part of the afterlife consists of living in dirt-poor feudal Japan for millennia, completely separated from my family and friends, then I'm taking my chances with hell.

Didn't this season begin with "Never-held-accountable"-Mayuri covertly murdering an entire district to "maintain the balance"? We learn in the most the most recent chapter spoiler[ that Captain-level souls can't be properly returned to circulation because their reiatsu is too great for the balance, but they'd never sacrifice any of them for this kind of purpose]. Rolling Eyes
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:44 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Amazing that it's 2023 and people are still spouting this nonsense. Super Eyepatch Wolf's bullshit just won't wash off.

What the hell are you talking about?

Who the hell Super Eyepatch Wolf is?

I was there when it happened and it was so stupidly obvious that arc was thrown out of the window that me and my friends were making jokes about it.

My favorite one was a fake WoW equipment window with Ichigo's equipment with the special ability being "Bosting Shonen Jump's ranking" because it was in the gluther at the time.

The Fullbring arc was terrible written, crashed Bleach's ranking, devolved characters, messed the power scale, created a plot hole on the origin of Chad and Orihime's powers and a long etc.

The reason why the Quincy arc it's so bad it simply because Kubo had to make it up in the spot and didn't have the plot lines he was planning to have developed during the Fullbring one.

Now, the reason I think this it's because the alternative it's simply that Kubo suddenly transformed into the worst Manga writer I have read, so, I am actually giving him the benefit of the doubt.
BluesPro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
No one cares about BG9's schrift though, while everyone wants to see Shinji's Bankai. It's also pretty unfair to say the scene undercut how dangerous the Bankai was, even if I do agree it wasn't quite as well built up as it was in the novel. This scene had it's own gravitas to it.

Plenty of people care that things were falling apart towards the end so badly that Kubo managed to not even mention what 2 of the schrifts are, especially since now it's the easiest thing to casually include in an episode. And if everyone wanted to see Shinji's bankai, then they should've actually made it a spectacle worth that expectation. There was no gravitas to the scene, because gravitas requires any degree of buildup or fanfare. Instead the scene feels like they felt obligated to include it and just haphazardly threw it in, without a care for if it looked impressive or fit with the flow of the episode.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
Wow there sure are a lot of people between 20-40 posts on here that sure hate Bleach (so much so that half of their posts on this entire forum are Bleach related). I sure do hope they are different people and not just one person with 2-3 accounts.

Whatever!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17