• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Buronson, Tetsuo Hara's Fist of the North Star Manga Gets New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:36 am Reply with quote
If the show is Netflix-bound, it would fit with their more viewed anime, like Baki, Kengan Ashura, Bastard!, and Record of Ragnarok. Male-targeted, violence-heavy shows with the potential to either attract a large crowd due to sheer weirdness (Baki) or the male cast has crossover with the female audience (Bastard!). This fits the Netflix MO.

Granted, we need to see what it looks like. Fist of the Blue Sky didn't exactly have the best look to it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:48 am Reply with quote
These happen every decade and the Yakuza game that remade the Rao plot (don´t they all?) clearly proved that the IP ain´t going anywhere. A 48 ep adaptation of Vol 1-16 with heavy rewrites could be a winner. More coherent storytelling, fewer named attacks and gimmicks, less misogynistic writing for the women, etc. The 80s film has top of top-of-the-line atmosphere so I want to see that recaptured regardless of what this will be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
metalcoola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:30 am Reply with quote
I just hope Toei Animation won't make it...
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:10 am Reply with quote
BluesPro wrote:
It'll be extremely easy to top the original with its mountains of terrible filler and atrociously bad animation.

Take a look at Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis to see how much worse things can get. That is the kind of Fist of the North Star animation we don't need.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:24 am Reply with quote
metalcoola wrote:

Toei Animation hasn't been involved with any of the other Fist animated material since the original so there's no need to worry about them.

What there is a need to worry about is if it's 3DCG like Fist of the Blue Sky Regenesis was.
Matros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:46 am Reply with quote
metalcoola wrote:

If modern Toei made it (they won't) you would potentially get a 2D show with some strong staff behind it. Now instead you'll get a CG show because the industry doesn't have enough action animators who would be willing to draw these overly detailed designs and make them move. Ignorance is a bliss I guess.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:48 am Reply with quote
You know, I've been hoping for this. I love the original TV series, but it really suffered from pacing issues, a low budget, and much of the old-school issues of a series trying not to keep up with the manga. I remember one episode where the bad guy was looking at Kenshiro as his head was warping, and clearly someone was just wrinkling the cell. I appreciate the DIY aspect, but this series deserves so much more. I'm rereading the manga right now, and holy crap it's better than I remember.
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
metalcoola wrote:

If modern Toei made it (they won't) you would potentially get a 2D show with some strong staff behind it. Now instead you'll get a CG show because the industry doesn't have enough action animators who would be willing to draw these overly detailed designs and make them move. Ignorance is a bliss I guess.

Yeah. I actually wish Toei handled it, like they recently made the incredible Dai no Daibouken. That would bode very well for the series, but right now we don't know what to expect. What I do hope for, though, are slightly simplified character designs to favor the animation.
chao8971

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:10 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
the Yakuza game that remade the Rao plot (don´t they all?)

The game kinda uses the Rao plot it's a way different story kinda revolving around a new city and adding new stuff like cyborgs. Kenshiro fights people and while they'd normally die in the main story none of them die in the game. While the game is enjoyable I actually think the story is not great compared to the original plot.
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'm in the minority because I didn't mind the CG of Regenesis. And they could definitely do better now. Either way, I'm optimistic
metalcoola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Matros wrote:
metalcoola wrote:

Yeah. I actually wish Toei handled it, like they recently made the incredible Dai no Daibouken. That would bode very well for the series, but right now we don't know what to expect. What I do hope for, though, are slightly simplified character designs to favor the animation.

Way camera moved and how it was animated actually made me nauseous, same with Spiderverse and latest TMNT Sad

Recently Toei also made terrible Dragon Ball Super and Saint Seiya Omega Sad
Matros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:02 pm Reply with quote
metalcoola wrote:
Araki wrote:
Matros wrote:
metalcoola wrote:

Way camera moved and how it was animated actually made me nauseous, same with Spiderverse and latest TMNT Sad

Recently Toei also made terrible Dragon Ball Super and Saint Seiya Omega Sad

You should take a look at the calendar. Dragon Ball Super came out 8 years ago and Omega 11 years ago. It's time to move on, don't you think? Besides the first season was of Omega was quite well animated.

Not to mention the fact that the studio has changed over the years. People come and go, the leadership has changed.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
ssjtennis1 wrote:

This would be the perfect Netflix anime.

Only if the original 80's anime also come to Netflix too.

I'm interested if this new Fist of the North Star anime will be a new adaptation of the manga, I wonder how many episodes will this be compared to the 80's series. Or will this new adaptation be akin to Dragonball Z Kai? Anyway, can't wait to see more detail about this new anime.

This is actually quite possible. Netflix probably loves Toei now that One Piece is a hit both anime and Live Action. And they already dubbed Saint Seiya after 2 failed attempts to do so.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:28 pm Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:
The game kinda uses the Rao plot it's a way different story kinda revolving around a new city and adding new stuff like cyborgs. Kenshiro fights people and while they'd normally die in the main story none of them die in the game. While the game is enjoyable I actually think the story is not great compared to the original plot.

The original story with it’s flaws isn’t exactly great to begin with,

metalcoola wrote:

Recently Toei also made terrible Dragon Ball Super

Super is only terrible if you’re focused way too hard on nostalgia which unfortunately most of the fanbase critical of Super was.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Redoing the post-Raoh arc would make sense for me, the original animation for it didn't do that great a job from what little I remember. One of the Hokuto games actually adapted the original series from start to finish into game form and it is arguably the best adaptation of the source material story when compared to the animation which preceded it. I've seen gameplay footage combined with the story narration, and it's a solid read regardless of the age of the setting and the characterisation defined by its main decade.

Souten no Ken was adapted recently, and for Japan at least it was favourably received. No reason why a remake of the original which started it all can't be successful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4