• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:02 am Reply with quote
Great, now make a good version of Deathnote as a series like I wanted in the first place.

I've also got an idea for a live action adaptation for Another in the think tank. Think it could work with the right adjustments. Admittedly the death of middle schoolers would be a hard sell.
That Little Rapscallion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:42 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Mainly just excited for all the eventual casting announcements S2 will bring. Assuming we'll cover the above arcs, there's quite a few fan favorites making their first appearance - spoiler[Chopper, Robin, Vivi, Ace, Crocodile, Smoker, Bon Clay]... I just really hope fans won't be weird about the show potentially casting a MENA actress for Vivi if they stick with Alabasta's Egyptian inspiration.

I think it's perfectly fine to complain about changes being made from the source material, especially with stuff like that, but they've already racebent plenty of characters already in the show so it's a bridge they already crossed and something I think most people expected as soon as people saw it was being handled by Netflix. The real question is if they have the guts to do Bon Clay justice or they'll tone him down or erase him entirely out of fear of backlash in America. The okama are probably the biggest challenge they'll have in the entire series rather than any of the Devil Fruit abilities because of America's sensitivity on the issue.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:31 am Reply with quote
One Piece has finally broken the live action anime adaptation curse!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:09 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Great, now make a good version of Deathnote as a series like I wanted in the first place.

Sure you’ll just have to wait another decade and a half Razz
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:33 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Well, that is supposed to be the next project of the Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things) and allegedly the one they asked to do, so, good luck to them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:26 am Reply with quote
Anyone wonder what happened to the Netflix Yu Yu Hakusho? It came and went, it seems.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:33 am Reply with quote
It's done neither, because it hasn't come out yet. Back in 2021 it was apparently schedule for December 2023, but it's anyone's guess if that will be accurate or not.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:01 am Reply with quote
I’ve seen some Twitter chatter earmarking the show for a December 14th premiere, but news has been scant since the main foursome were announced last year (although filming was noticed in numerous locations prior). Still have no idea what Botan looks like in this.

If that’s a hit too, there will be a rush to fast track anime IP’s from their various slumbers.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I've very surprised that they are including Chopper, I wonder if the whole Barque Works saga will be adapted or if they will go in a different direction. East Blue cost $138 million, and that's just a few ships and small villages, with only 2(it would be 3 with Smokker) devil fruit powers shown.

Barque Works has a giant whale, giants, whatever Wapol is, ridable ducks, 3 Logia Devil Fruit users and 2+ Zoan users. Even locations consist of an island covered in thick snow and a giant city in the desert.

Unless they just go to Drum Island and then they make up something new from there.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This gets to stay and yet Cowboy Bebop got cancelled? Confused
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah. This was good. Live-action CB? Not so much.

I hope Chopper is a puppet or a blend of puppetry and CG, and not fully CG. But I have a feeling he will be CG. Ah well. They did the Lord of the Coast justice.

Drum Island and Alabasta will prove tricky to do. They better up the budget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
This gets to stay and yet Cowboy Bebop got cancelled? Confused

In its first week, One Piece got 10 times the viewing hours Bebop did. Bebop’s sins are legion, but from a raw numbers game, One Piece won easily.
Hikaru Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I feel like it'll only get more challenging for the show from here but I'm eager to see where it goes...
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:18 pm Reply with quote
ssjtennis1 wrote:
The guy you're quoting is right and the way you're viewing it is wrong. Do you really believe Netflix would renew this show if only 5 million hours watched after the debut week?

netflix 10th best tv shows of all time is "queen charlotte: a bridgerton story" with a TOTAL of 526 mil hours viewed. and that show came out 4 and a half months ago. so either one piece gonna get into the top 10 tv shows of all time for netflix in a few weeks (considering you're claiming they are racking over 140mil hours viewed weekly) or you're simply wrong.
light turner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
In its first week, One Piece got 10 times the viewing hours Bebop did. Bebop’s sins are legion, but from a raw numbers game, One Piece won easily.

It doesn't even have to be about quality, One Piece is just flat out more popular worldwide than Cowboy Bebop. No surprise it did better. Cowboy Bebop has always been a treasure to a very specific audience of Americans who grew up watching Adult Swim in the early 2000s, but worldwide it's never exactly been a mega-hit giant. One Piece has tons of fans in every country so a much wider audience to pull from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4