• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds New Rurouni Kenshin Anime's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:59 pm Reply with quote
brainrotter wrote:
It gets worse-- the Bocchi BD was just officially confirmed sub-only. CR's straight-up torching guaranteed profits at this point

Yeah, CR are ridiculously mismanaged, IMO. But I still expect a dub in the future, alongside a "special edition" Blu Ray.
Turtleboy76

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:07 am Reply with quote
I mean is anyone surprised? The live action movies were licensed and dubbed within the last 3 year, why would the anime of all things not be dubbed. It's in the top 10 most watched shows currently on CR and if Kyoto and Jinchu get animated it'll only get more popular.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:57 am Reply with quote
brainrotter wrote:
It gets worse-- the Bocchi BD was just officially confirmed sub-only. CR's straight-up torching guaranteed profits at this point

Were there that many people wanting a dub for Bocchi? I thought CGDCT/moe show fans tend to skew very heavily towards the sub, especially music shows where the seiyuu actually sing and perform since songs don't get dubbed a lot of the time. Maybe it's just what I hang out but I never really saw a huge demand for an English dub of Bocchi.

Did Love Live! Superstar have a dub? Did they dub the songs? I never really see people talk about the Love Live dub.
light turner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:45 am Reply with quote
Well, it's not the old cast, but I didn't expect them to return since some of them are in their 70s now and Richard Cansino didn't come back to voice Legato in Trigun Stampede either.

Back in the day actors had to use aliases if they voiced in certain titles due to their content rating or if it was a non-Union dub. I wonder if we'll eventually see a return of that if VAing controversies keep popping up.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:00 am Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
The sad part is this is exclusive to the English group of so-called anime "fans". The Portuguese, Hindi, and Spanish dubs have been doing just fine on Crunchyroll for months with zero issues or need to protect the casting since they can act normal. It's only American/English fans who feel emboldened enough to harass and threaten actors and Crunchyroll staff. This is not something people should be flexing about - that they created such an unsafe space for English voice actors and staff.

Well, sometimes some Latin American dub actors do get harassesd, but it's for other reasons, I haven't seen any complaints against the actors working on the new Rurouni Kenshin for being associated to Watsuki. I did find some complaints agains Kenshin's new Neutral Spanish VA, Erick Padilla, some people said he sounded kind of plain and he admitted on Twitter that he didn't know much about Samurai X, that he never heard Alexander Paez, Óscar Flores or Ale Graue's interpretations of the character and that he was kind of nervous when he recorded his dialogs. But to be honest, it seems like the new Kenshin shows is not attracting a new audience
light turner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Well, sometimes some Latin American dub actors do get harassesd, but it's for other reasons, I haven't seen any complaints against the actors working on the new Rurouni Kenshin for being associated to Watsuki. I did find some complaints agains Kenshin's new Neutral Spanish VA, Erick Padilla, some people said he sounded kind of plain and he admitted on Twitter that he didn't know much about Samurai X, that he never heard Alexander Paez, Óscar Flores or Ale Graue's interpretations of the character and that he was kind of nervous when he recorded his dialogs. But to be honest, it seems like the new Kenshin shows is not attracting a new audience

I can't say I heard about this in Japanese casting either. I can't recall anyone ever being attacked because they were just in a show, no. I know of cases like Takahiro Sakurai who got hate for cheating on his spouse, or cases like Ivankov's original VA who was arrested, but those also resulted in them losing their roles as well and wasn't just a case of people on the internet being mad. I wouldn't say harassing them is okay either, but I at least get the hate in those cases since they actually did bad things themselves. The whole "you starred in this project so you are a bad person" seems to only happen here. I remember some of the English Hogwarts Legacy VAs got harassed too and some even publicly apologized for taking the role.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
As a union production, aren't they required to credit the cast in some form?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
This should not surprise anyone. The Japanese companies obviously don't care about what the author did. And AoA and Crunchyroll don't care either and are just interested in making money.

You're totally right about Japan, but in the case of the two American Sony companies you brought up, they likely had no choice. This anime was likely made with a dub contract in place, and they were forced to sign it. I doubt they would bother shielding the cast if they didn't have some reservations.

Primus wrote:
As a union production, aren't they required to credit the cast in some form?

They probably will do so via a home media release a couple of years from now, when the excitement (in the worst possible sense) from the anime's TV premiere has died down.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

It should be noted that the RK franchise has being traditionally unlucky when it comes with Latin American Spanish dubs. The first Spanish dub from the TV series, done in Colombia, was and still is pretty mediocre, with Kenshin's voice actor sounding like bored even in the most intense moments, except maybe in the last episodes. The one from the live-action films, done in Argentina, wasn't very good either and the one from the newer series managed to sound as wooden like the Colombian dub, despite this one was done in Mexico. However, since the dub was done in Cuernavaca, rather than Mexico City like most of CR's Latin American dubs, would mean that CR didn't wanted to bother to give this series a good dub in the first place, given Kenshin's Spanish VA replies on the topic.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
brainrotter wrote:

I could have sworn there was something a while back saying that Bocchi would be dubbed, but I also had my doubts when it went this long with nothing announced. The CR store lists only Japanese language.

Honestly, that doesn't make me hopeful for something like the latest season of Legend of Galactic Heroes, which didn't get a simuldub like everything before it.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:24 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
It should be noted that the RK franchise has being traditionally unlucky when it comes with Latin American Spanish dubs. The first Spanish dub from the TV series, done in Colombia, was and still is pretty mediocre, with Kenshin's voice actor sounding like bored even in the most intense moments, except maybe in the last episodes. The one from the live-action films, done in Argentina, wasn't very good either and the one from the newer series managed to sound as wooden like the Colombian dub, despite this one was done in Mexico. However, since the dub was done in Cuernavaca, rather than Mexico City like most of CR's Latin American dubs, would mean that CR didn't wanted to bother to give this series a good dub in the first place, given Kenshin's Spanish VA replies on the topic.

I admit that Samurái X's Colombian dub had a lot of problems, though I have some memories attached to it since I used to watched it when it aired on Cartoon Network when I was at elementary. As for why Crunchyroll decided to hire a studio from Cuernavaca for its dub, perhaps it's because, as you said, CR doesn't care about the dub's quality due to the controversies attached to the series. Though CR has sent some high profile shows like Lycoris Recoil, Goblin Slayer, Fuuto P.I. and Gundam G-Witch to Cuernavaca, and while I think there's plenty of talanted voices there, they have some issues in terms of voice direction and some actors lack of experience.

Some say CR chooses dubbing studios at random, people have joked that some generic isekai dubbed at México City have better casts that the anime dubbed in Cuernavaca. I also have to mention that Crunchyroll didn't produce their dubs in Cuernavaca, that was something that Funimation used to do when they entered the Latin American market back in late 2020 and now that they merged with CR it seems that the decision of working with studios like BDG in Cuernavaca, as well as VSI and Artworks in Mexico City, are done by the people who used to work at Funimation, Crunchyroll instead works primarily with Candiani/Bita/MilVox
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:22 am Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
Were there that many people wanting a dub for Bocchi? I thought CGDCT/moe show fans tend to skew very heavily towards the sub, especially music shows where the seiyuu actually sing and perform since songs don't get dubbed a lot of the time. Maybe it's just what I hang out but I never really saw a huge demand for an English dub of Bocchi.

Did Love Live! Superstar have a dub? Did they dub the songs? I never really see people talk about the Love Live dub.

Yes, there's obviously a demand for CGDCT shows being dubbed, because just like anime watchers enjoy the genre, so do dub watchers. That seems like such a strange thing to ask. K-On! got dubbed, all the Love Lives have been dubbed (except for the most recent season of Superstar and the Yohane spinoff that just aired). Plenty of idol shows get dubs and leave their songs as-is. Zombie Land Saga also got a dub, and actually took the time to dub the songs for the Blu Ray edition, at least of the first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3