• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty in Kyoto Animation Arson Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyaa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
"Hang em' high until they stop twitching"'-while I mainly believe an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth there are cases when sparing one person's life for taking somebody else's is totally appropriate.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:06 pm Reply with quote
My first concern in this matter would be: given his record of misdemeanors leading up to the attack, can we be sure he won't hurt someone again?
Giving Aoba the death penalty won't bring anyone back, but he's already established himself as a menace to society. If nothing else, putting him to death guarantees no one else dies by his hand in the future, because he clearly has the capacity to do so, mentally ill or not.
Does Japan have a record of releasing serious criminals out of jail in spite of their sentences the way the US legal system has been accused of?
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Considering Japan's poor track record when it comes to mental health, I can see this guy getting a reduced sentence as a means for the Japanese government to virtue signal that they "care about mental health".

...and then do absolutely nothing to help him with his mental health while he rots in jail.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the pace of justice in Japan is on par with the high-profile prosecutions in the United States.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3