• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wit Studio Produces The One Piece Anime Series Remake for Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiboEM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:49 am Reply with quote
The One Pace is real.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:52 am Reply with quote
I understand why filler was inserted into Arabasta but it doesn´t mesh with the characterisation for Ace that was settled on later. One of the first strikes against the anime with the pacing starting to have issues during Skypia. The last watchable section of the anime, minus filler. I stopped watching the anime when Enies Lobby concluded in 2007 and only returned 14 years later due to a heroic fan effort. The show was more importantly considered for cancelation around that point. It of course switched over from a primetime to a Sunday kid´s slot BUT even more episodes had to be produced per year and non-movie filler was all but abandoned on top of that. I may only know the true dark period year through a fan cut but I still had to suffer the often bad animation in the HD period that only fixed itself when a new team was brought on for Wano. It´s not just Toei who failed the manga, the whole production committee is to be blamed, but I will never understand how anime onlys can exist for OP with such a sluggish product. A concept foreign to Japan but they supply the steady ratings needed to let things go on.

We don´t know when this will air. Launching around S2 of the LA show would make sense. Switching over to a fan cut will save you 8855 minutes (147.58 hours) as of this week and that doesn´t even factor in filler. 43.47% of "canon material" is spent on reaction shots and god knows what. 12 eps graft perfectly onto 4 volumes in most cases. Wano ends with Vol 104. So about 312 eps up to that point. Throw in another 12-24 eps in to expand some stuff and that's all you would ever need so far. DBZ is 291 eps long. Wano is 191 eps. 400 potential eps of a readaptation suddenly look manageable and would keep people employed for a decade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:03 am Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
Vercinto wrote:

Also, I honestly doubt Toei cares after all this time, their series isn't going anywhere.

I bet you that Toei (and Fuji) will still be committee members for this remake. Its just so an easy cash check for them.
Why betting, considering they both are shown in the teaser as part of the PC members along with Shueisha, Wit and Netflix?

Of course, they are the ones who are bankrolling this new remake first - considering how much money it involves.
lucio542

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:06 am Reply with quote
Maybe now i should try one piece.
Its not my type of anime but i doubt that there will be a better opportunity than this.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:21 am Reply with quote
Vercinto wrote:
Also, I honestly doubt Toei cares after all this time, their series isn't going anywhere.

Millhi wrote:
I bet you that Toei (and Fuji) will still be committee members for this remake. Its just so an easy cash check for them.

Judging by what's on the embedded tweet, the same companies involved with the TV series are involved with this too so yes, Toei does care to an extent plus it wouldn't be the first time they fully outsourced a series if they were part of the decision making on that (see Saint Seiya Saintia Sho by Gonzo & the last two Digimon Adventure movies by Yumeta Company).

Hagaren Viper wrote:
Being on Netflix has interesting implications for the dub too, I wonder how hard they'll go with reprisals since it sounds like we're at least getting Mayumi Tanaka back on the JP side of things. Heck, being on Netflix there's a non-zero chance that the live action cast plays the English roles instead.

Whatever the end result, Funiroll is probably seething and that's funny to think about.

In a hilarious alternate world, they would try to get whoever's left of the 4Kids cast but it'll probably be the same result that the Black Clover movie got, especially when it's known that Oda approved of Funi's cast back when their dub started.
mayonakama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:35 am Reply with quote
I don’t know why, but hearing about this remake makes me want to burp.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:59 am Reply with quote
It's too early in the damn morning for news like this I thought this was some elaborate shitpost at first...

WHAT THE fudge DO YOU MEAN ONE PIECE IS GETTING A REMAKE ANIME?!?!
Vercinto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:01 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

Frankly the more I think about this, the more I wish it was an upscaled re-edit vs a full remake. A re-edit imo would have accomplished the same thing in getting new viewers on-board who are intimidated by its length/age and fixing the pacing issues down the road while still not being such a financial sink in an already creatively bankrupt industry.
It would have been a dissapointment.

There is only so much one can do with late 90s anime remaster.

To this days I see people saying that Dragon Ball Kai should have been a proper new adaptation of the original manga, and not just, well, fillerless remaster.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:06 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The Toei anime is perfectly fine and this just screams pointless cash grab to me.

How can someone even think this? It feels like you need to kick out all sensibilities and any sort of reasoning to come to that conclusion.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
It's hard to tell how to feel. We already had a liveaction series with better pacing and Toei didn't care to do it like Dragon Ball Kai. A lot of other series are in need of better remakes but it seems Wit Studio chose the most profitable one.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:56 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that something as popular as One Piece has a remake, but I am surprised that it is getting one before the original adaptation has even concluded. This would be like Madhouse animating Hunter X Hunter while Nippon Anime was still working on it.

Any bets on how many seasons Wit will adapt before handing it over to another studio?

My issue is that it's likely going to be stuck on Netflix forever. It seems like after the success of the live action show, they wanted the Anime as well. Only they can't just licence the existing Anime, they have to have their own Anime that no one else can ever stream. Basically, "I'm going to build my own clubhouse".
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:02 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Yea I have a feeling it’s just a limited-event kind of thing, maybe adapting 25 to 50 episodes and stopping. People in this forum sound like they’re expecting this WIT Studio version to continue for hundreds of episodes which is absurd.

The announcement said this adaptation is "starting" with East Blue so I can guess they would want to keep going if this works out
redvelvetdoll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:09 am Reply with quote
I never want to see Shounen Jump fans complain after this
Kraz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:13 am Reply with quote
I understand the beginning of the first adaption was low-budget, and this is for One Piece's 25th anniversary, but wow they will do ANYTHING not to produce original anime nowadays !
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How can someone even think this? It feels like you need to kick out all sensibilities and any sort of reasoning to come to that conclusion.
Yeah how dare I say this anime that continues to be a ratings success and the movies are huge blockbusters in Japan and fans praise the sakuga animation on Twitter every week is fine. Clearly with this reboot it means everything the old show did is now trash and you have to insult all the work and effort that was put into it and no one can appreciate anything that the old anime did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8