• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blue Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well someone finally punched him in the face.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's like the difference between playing one of the all-time great Resident Evil games and settling for a movie night with one of those animated spinoff movies. Both products will technically supply you with the same brand of thrills and chills, but only one of them will stick with you in your memory for years to come.

I've neither played RE nor seen the movies, but this is really an unfair comparison. Of course a game sticks with you longer than a movie. You're an active participant in the former, and a passive consumer in the latter.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:36 pm Reply with quote
What happened to Izumo's sister, she wasn't a baby when all that went down, why doesn't she remember her, this series doesn't have any memory erasing technology? Does it?

Are we going to adopt the Terror of the Kraken arc to wrap up the season, which would be a flashback since the team is not yet back together.

Maybe Renzo can have his Kramer moment next week.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I could complain about all the still shots and cutting corners moment...but I won't, because they captured the emotional core of this arc perfectly in it's conclusion.

And tragically even when Izumo gets her big moment, avenging herself against Gedoin and truly succeeding her mother, she's still met with tragedy. Right after getting her mom back, she loses her again, and she finds out the sister she's worked so hard for and to be with again doesn't even remember her.

But at least she's accepted herself, her faults, and embraced that she has friends she can rely on and be emotional with. And that can go a long way.
zfunk wrote:
What happened to Izumo's sister, she wasn't a baby when all that went down, why doesn't she remember her, this series doesn't have any memory erasing technology? Does it?

Are we going to adopt the Terror of the Kraken arc to wrap up the season, which would be a flashback since the team is not yet back together.

Maybe Renzo can have his Kramer moment next week.

I think the idea was she was so young that she probably just blocked out everything else and imprinted faster on her new family.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The camera work and cheap jittering effect sell the moment short

Really? What more did you want? That whole scene definitely made me prick up my ears, trying to imagine everything going through Yukio's mind the moment Renzo called him out. "How do you know that?" (Did we know that?) "Do I need to kill you now, or hear you out first? Deny or just attack?" Talk about if looks could kill... But yeah, it certainly got my attention. What should they have done differently?
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The reveal of Renzo's duplicity felt a bit rushed and I can't help but wonder if the show skipped more manga material to get to this point.

It's been real long since I read the manga but I think there was a reason the chapter was called "pink spider"
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:29 am Reply with quote
If it helps, I found the events of this episode dull in the manga too, so I don’t think it was just the direction.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:47 pm Reply with quote
The constantly far apart eyes was bothering the hell out of me with the last episode. It's really too bad the show had to finally get another season with such a bad production.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I missed Shura.

Well, Shima is in kind of an interesting/unconventional dynamic and you never know if he can completely be trusted...but at least he's happy and having fun.

Yay, a pool episode! Complete with girls in swimsuits!

Yukio is spiraling and continues to resent and turn his back on Rin, which was building up all the way back in Kyoto. And that will continue into the next arc.
Chien93

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:43 am Reply with quote
If anyone's wondering why the pool scene felt awkward, it's because the pool was a bathhouse in the manga. So they weren't trying to share a slide, the guys were trying to break a wall to peep
AdditionalRamen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
I might have missed this - do we know how Izumo escaped from the Illuminati and enrolled at school after her sister was put up for adoption? Did her mom strike some kind of deal so that they would let her go?

Also, unrelated: do we know why Yukio calls his brother "Rin-san?" Or am I mishearing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3