• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sex Work, Kink, and Consent: Here's How the Anime Community Can be Better With Adult Content and Its

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
T3rmidor wrote:
I'am against any form of sex work by principle,

Probably going to regret asking this but why?
Fundamentally bc I don't believe anyone should be selling their body to pay for their needs. In more in regards to current society I see it mainly as an expression of a patriarchal society as most prostitudes tend to be female and most clients males. I'm not going to claim there aren't any sex workers that have possitive experiences, I have read such cases, but I personally know about two cases, one of a close friend, that probably radicalize more on this matter. I really don't have any problem with how a person express their sexuality, but for me once money is explicitly involve it is often in the objectification of the one selling sexual services (and of course there are the more ugly topics such as sexual slavery which I hope bring universall condemnation).
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
This is my general feelings on the subject. And it being people who just don't care about others and just want to do whatever they want is the most charitable reading I can think of. Less charitable readings that I even feel comfortable talking about would be the way tobacco and vape companies targeted kids to foster a new generation of addicts aka revenue source for them. It's basically what happened with Twitch and how a lot of women just use it to advertise their OnlyFans now and it's been completely normalized to expose kids to that stuff. I can understand why limiting this stuff to a corner of a convention is bad for business and doesn't allow room for much promotion and growth for their career and why they would hate it, but I personally prefer prioritizing minor safety and health.

This all feels very much like "LGBTQ and Drag performers are grooming kids" conspiracy nonsense. You have any sources for any of this?
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
You have any sources for any of this?

A source for what, exactly? My opinion? Myself, I guess. I'm just saying I can understand why conventions might not want explicit material or performers when a huge chunk of con goers are minors and am trying to figure out why some people might choose to die on the hill that they have a right do so at the expense of others: selfishness, monetary gain, or other reasons.

If you mean the Twitch thing then it's been an argument from streamers and about the platform for years now. Since at least 2021 when the Hot Tub meta became popular, but was a discussion long before then as well. It applies to others sites too like Tiktok, Snapchat, Instagram, and even Twitter that are full of people promoting their sexual content too that tend to get seen by kids who use those platforms and why we're seeing more people asking for social media sites to be 18+ only and not allow kids on them. I suppose we could make all anime conventions 18+ only as well but conventions probably don't want to lose all that revenue.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:05 pm Reply with quote
T3rmidor wrote:
Fundamentally bc I don't believe anyone should be selling their body to pay for their needs. In more in regards to current society I see it mainly as an expression of a patriarchal society as most prostitudes tend to be female and most clients males. I'm not going to claim there aren't any sex workers that have possitive experiences, I have read such cases, but I personally know about two cases, one of a close friend, that probably radicalize more on this matter. I really don't have any problem with how a person express their sexuality, but for me once money is explicitly involve it is often in the objectification of the one selling sexual services

While I get this on some level some of this stuff doesn’t involve actual sex. And as questionable as it can be it’s one of the easiest ways to make large sums of money in a short time outside of say winning the lottery.

In an ideal society cost of living wouldn’t be so high as it is along with obscenely high debt for things like medical bills and student loan debts that people can either be stuck lying for decades or unable to pay period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3