• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya to get Broadcast Order Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Flippin' idiots.

Did the japanese studio even watch their own show? There is no point to going beyod episode 6 or 7 (which ever was the "last" episode in broadcast order) if you watch the show chronologically. The new "ending" would be totally boring and pointless!!!

This is the singel dumbest decision ever made, both by the idiots over here, for not fighting harder to distribute it the RIGHT WAY and the bakayaro's in Japan for even considering releasing it that way, let alone insiting on it!!!

This series will not succeed with new viewers who watch it for the first time "in order". It MUST be watch out of order (broadcast order) to have any suspense or mystery to it. (IOW - to be any good after episode 6 or 7!)

DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB.

(And I predict that those of you form the meag thread who didn;t think this series belogned in the "Top Ten" will probably get you wish. I reated it a "Masterpiece," but "in order" it would be "Very Good" at BEST! - And I'm a fan!!!)
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Niceguy9418 wrote:
DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB.

I won't re-post the whole thing or write another similar response, but I think part of what I said in this post can sort of reply to what you are saying as well as the original post I was answering.

And here's another thing that I will just blurt out. I like Haruhi, I like Haruhi in the order it was broadcast. I've seen it in that order all the way through 3 separate times. Since then I have mostly just watched episodes at random whenever the mood hit or I try to remember something in particular. If anything I have garnered a newer respect for the series than when I first watched it. My point is that while I still agree that it is fun to watch it in broadcast order and that you can still do this with the chronological disks if you follow this guide, I think Haruhi is going to be just fine. If a show has to rely on a gimmick to be good then it wouldn't really be that good even with the gimmick.

This series has been released in chronological order outside the US and from some of the posts I have read from people like dormcat, I don't think it suffered in those markets because of the order of the release. So I doubt that a chronological release here is going to make the series any less successful.
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, we're entitled to disagree I guess, but:

"Won't make the series less successful." Is difficult to gage...

It may not be a "failure." People may buy it. But how "successful" it is goes beyond the mere sales numbers. You can't (and admittedly, neither can I) say that people would like it just as much as the would have otherwise.

And regardless of how many they sell, you can't say that (and neither can I) what would have happned if they released it the other way.

In my opionion (and it's just that - my opinion) the series is genius in broadcast order and good, but nothing special chronologically.

Two points:

1) Regrding your post - What does the order have to do with how much is on the disc? Nothing. They could have all the same content and simply have left the episodes in the order they were meant to be viewed.

2) If the series were released "out of order" you could always go and watch it "in order." But by releasing it "in order" who the hell (new viewers, I mean) is going to go and watch it "out of order"? How many would even know there WAS another order? They are killing an artistic decision which added a hell of a lot to the series! The broadcast order wasn't arbitrary after all! It was meant to increase suspense, tension, mystery and make the plot as interesting as possible.

And that's the point. For everyone who "liked" the series who saw it chronogical, it's just my firm belief that, they would have loved it if they saw it (the first time) in the order it was meant to be seen.

You can't prove it either way... But I'll never be convinced otherwise.
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
It's pretty clear that anyone who wants to watch the dubbed version in broacast order is stuck with a lot of disk swapping, for better or worse. My question for those who have seen the series already is this: Does each episode include a "next episode" synopsis?

I ask because I'm trying to anticipate whether there will be a minefield of potential nano-spoilers to avoid as well (presuming I'm not quick with the remote for whatever reason) since the "next" episode is presumably unlikely to match the next broadcast episode. I have no clue how significant the broadcast order differs from the original order but I gather that it's significant.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
The show is perfectly watchable in both broadcast and chronological order. The shows pacing may be a bit odd in chronological order since all the story material is in the first half and the second half are mostly standalone episodes that don't do much to advance the story.

You don't need to worry about the next episode previews, because those were also rearranged for each version, so regardless of which version you are watching, the next episode preview is for the next episode in the order you are watching it in. The Japanese DVDs had the episode previews rearranged and then Bandai put them back the way they were originally for the broadcast order discs.
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
You don't need to worry about the next episode previews, because those were also rearranged for each version, so regardless of which version you are watching, the next episode preview is for the next episode in the order you are watching it in.

I guess my point was that if I'm specifically watching the dubbed episodes then I have no choice but to watch the chronologically ordered DVDs since those are the only ones that include the dub. If I then go the disk swapping route to watch those dubbed episodes in broadcast order then the previews are indeed the potential spoilers that I feared they would be...unless I'm completely missing something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3