• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I'm very on the fence with this series. I think that the concept of the Contractors has potential, but so far they've been a little weak, and the main character is rather unsympathetic so far. What's his power anyways? Just a bulletproof coat? Whoopee.

Heh yeah it better be a damn good "power" when they do reveal what it is...or maybe they have and I wasn't paying much attention...anyways I am expecting some pretty trippy powers Wink Very Happy well I am hoping anyways. I have to say though even if he doesn't get any trippy powers it is still a very interesting anime.
frouella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
I'm very on the fence with this series. I think that the concept of the Contractors has potential, but so far they've been a little weak, and the main character is rather unsympathetic so far. What's his power anyways? Just a bulletproof coat? Whoopee.

Heh yeah it better be a damn good "power" when they do reveal what it is...or maybe they have and I wasn't paying much attention...anyways I am expecting some pretty trippy powers Wink Very Happy well I am hoping anyways. I have to say though even if he doesn't get any trippy powers it is still a very interesting anime.

Well yeah, there's the amazing(ly compact, travel-size) bulletproof coat, but I thought he also had that wire garotte-thingy that seems to kill people easier than what one usually can with a garotte. That is, especially in the second episode, the contractors he killed with it didn't look like they were just getting strangled (i.e. the visual effect included that weird echo-quake thing, plus Hei's eyes were glowing). I think there's more to his powers, though; the presence of the mask and sword makes it seem like he has different levels that he can use, and that he hasn't really gone all-out yet. They did say that he was the one they knew the least about, and I think the audience is going to find out at the same time. Plus, another thing I just thought of is that we haven't seen Hei's OCD that's associated with his power yet, which would imply that he hasn't really used it yet.

BTW, did anyone else notice that his apartment number was the same as his star number (I forget what it's called, but it's BK201)? I wonder if that was on purpose?
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit behind, but just watched the second episode... I'm liking it.

frouella makes a very good point about the OCD/contract behavior regarding Hei - other contractors seem to have to do their thing immediately after they've used their powers (dude, having to start arranging stones when you should be running away seriously sucks) but we haven't seen Hei do anything like that yet. Mind you, it's possible that they're just not showing it, but that would be a bit cheap.

Personally I loved the fact that Chiaki died and was a doll - when I was watching the first episode I kept thinking that it would be a really nice twist if she died just when you've gotten comfortable with having her around... but fat chance that was going to happen... Luckily I was wrong Smile

Also I'm starting to get into the music. Kanno's kind of chaotic jazzy soundtrack fits quite nicely to the city. And I could even hum the ED afterwards (I repeat, I love Rie fu) - maybe they just took time to get used to.

Yep, looking forward to the next episode. This could be seriously good.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
BTW, did anyone else notice that his apartment number was the same as his star number (I forget what it's called, but it's BK201)? I wonder if that was on purpose?

Hey do you think that is why that lady (forgot her name) you know the one that came with that guy at the end of episode 2, to see if Hei knew anything about Higuchi, do you think that is why she paused for a moment and looked back toward his appartment (possibly the door number)?
frouella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
frouella wrote:

Hey do you think that is why that lady (forgot her name) you know the one that came with that guy at the end of episode 2, to see if Hei knew anything about Higuchi, do you think that is why she paused for a moment and looked back toward his appartment (possibly the door number)?

Y'know, I did wonder about that when I first saw it, but I wasn't sure if I was reading into it too much. But now that you've brought it up too, then maybe so. Hmmm...
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well yeah, there's the amazing(ly compact, travel-size) bulletproof coat, but I thought he also had that wire garotte-thingy that seems to kill people easier than what one usually can with a garotte. That is, especially in the second episode, the contractors he killed with it didn't look like they were just getting strangled (i.e. the visual effect included that weird echo-quake thing, plus Hei's eyes were glowing).

Yeah, perhaps it's some sort of "material application" power, that he can either summon helful items, or just charge them with some sort of energy to make them stronger than normal in some ways. Whatever it is they need to clear that up soon. I assume his "conditon" is gluttony.

Quote:

frouella makes a very good point about the OCD/contract behavior regarding Hei - other contractors seem to have to do their thing immediately after they've used their powers (dude, having to start arranging stones when you should be running away seriously sucks) but we haven't seen Hei do anything like that yet. Mind you, it's possible that they're just not showing it, but that would be a bit cheap.

Yeah, but it is kinda unclear the exact limitations on that. Like is it just a psychological compulsion that one could fight off theoretically forever if they were strong willed enough? Or is it sort of a "credit limit" thing that they can use their powers but have to "pay it back" before they can use them again, so you want to pay it off asap in case you need the power?
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I assume his "conditon" is gluttony.

Would be reasonable to assume that. It all depends though, like you said - would he be able to "put credit in" to his contract account before using the powers? Because his eating didn't seem that compulsive (to me), compared to the pebble arranger or the dandelion eater or the finger breaker.

Speculation, gotta love it Cool
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
I assume his "conditon" is gluttony.

Would be reasonable to assume that. It all depends though, like you said - would he be able to "put credit in" to his contract account before using the powers? Because his eating didn't seem that compulsive (to me), compared to the pebble arranger or the dandelion eater or the finger breaker.

Speculation, gotta love it Cool

Well that was alot of food he ate...eh judging by the other contractors, I don't think they arranged pepples, ate flowers or broke fingers (then again can you imagine having to break your fingers every time you use your powers...I would be afraid to use them) before using their powers. Truthfully gluttony seems like the one that would be the most fun...if that is what he has to do...maybe he's special and doesn't have to do anything. Oh and yeah the material inhancement being one of his abilities is one that I should have thought about, but didn't...heh...I guess that would be cool to have that sort of power. Also while everyone treats dolls as inate objects to be used it seems Hei has a soft spot for them. Truely this is a good series, I hope it doesn't disappoint me.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else pay attention to Hei going through the blank book before fighting the Contractors? Since he didn't do anything relating to any form of visible power before hand I can't really tell if it has anything to do with his contract but it seems like a strange thing to do for absolutely no reason.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Perhaps. Perhaps it's a wilpower thing too. I just noted that he di eat an aweful lot in that oe scene, and then at the end there he was shown preparing a meal as well. Maybe nothing, maybe pointing to the food connection. Could be just about anything at this point though. If this anime follows the trend of most similar shows they'll probably have a more expository arc next and we'll find out (at least more of the story).
frouella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
Anyone else pay attention to Hei going through the blank book before fighting the Contractors? Since he didn't do anything relating to any form of visible power before hand I can't really tell if it has anything to do with his contract but it seems like a strange thing to do for absolutely no reason.

Mmmwell, he didn't have a book until Chiaki gave him the key to the locker that the book was in, and he'd already used his powers before that. So I don't see how they could be connected. I'm kinda leaning toward the food being part of the contract at this point, but granted, it's still speculation.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:

He didn't do that for no reason. The book was supposed to be the thesis that everyone after. By being blank, it's clear that he was tricked by the other contractors.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first two episodes today. I think it's pretty good so far, though at this point, it seems to be more style over substance. I admit, after seeing Monster, Kemonozume, and Gunslinger Girl, I'm becoming a bit of a Hidenobu Kiuchi fanboy. But it seems this particular role for him is a lot more versatile. The fact that he kind of switches between the "nice guy" and "cold-blooded Contractor-killer" feels real.. spooky, since most of his other characters had that certain gentlemanly aura to them.

And as opposed to some the others who've commented, I actually like the character designs. They're not too realistic, but they're not generic either, and much better than some other designs I've been seeing as of late (Hisashi "two slits and a big shadow = a nose" Shirai). Animation seemed pretty fluid for how I was able view it. I burned the episodes onto a DVD-RW and watched it on my all region player and it looked a lot more fluid than on the computer monitor (not sure how to figure out all the technical mumbo jumbo to actually hook my comp. to the TV yet, but I'll get it someday).

I also like the music. abingdon boys school sounds great with T.M.Revolution doing just the vocals and leaving the instrumentals to the band. From what I've heard in this OP and D.Gray-man's, their style has a nice rock sound to it more so than the pop/rock sound T.M.R. had by himself (though I really like some of them, such as the Gundam SEED songs and other tracks similar to that style). I also agree that some of the music was very GitS: SAC-esque in the first episodes, but whoo-boy did Kanno whip out the snazzy, jazzy Bebop stuff in episode two. And Mai Yamane Very Happy, it's so great to hear her again, love that alto voice in her Blues-y singing!

As for the plot/characters. Like I said, from just the first two episodes, it feels a lot more like style over substance. Not to say a science fiction peice can't tell a good story with good characters. But with only 13 episodes planned, I'm curious to see how they'll make the remaining 11 that good within such a small amount of time.

Other than that, I think it's got a great atmosphere. That whole Hell's Gate thing seems real mysterious and leaves me to wonder if they'll try to make it a one of those philosophical messages (like a lot of sci-fi titles are trying to do these days) or more so just plain entertainment (which isn't too bad either).
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
But with only 13 episodes planned, I'm curious to see how they'll make the remaining 11 that good within such a small amount of time.

Only 13 Shocked I was thinking it would double of that, but where did I get that from Confused

Anyway, 13 episodes changes quite a lot, the pacing and the story have to pick up quite a bit...
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
But with only 13 episodes planned, I'm curious to see how they'll make the remaining 11 that good within such a small amount of time.

Only 13 Shocked I was thinking it would double of that, but where did I get that from Confused

Anyway, 13 episodes changes quite a lot, the pacing and the story have to pick up quite a bit...

I think they may have a second season, I mean Black Lagoon started out a bit slow and it picked it up but ended the first season with a couple of questions, and left room for more...I think (hoping) that is what they will do with this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11