• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Rambling Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady_Hydrangea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Awesome show, you guys! I love it when you sit around and shoot the breeze Smile

I keep hearing intriguing things about Mardock Scramble. It's a title that would usually escape my radar, but with what Zac said on the show and with Theron's and Carlo's mostly positive reviews of the anime and manga respectively, Mardock Scramble is now a series I'm interested in checking out. I may even seek out the original novel as well.

Interesting to hear Zac say he picked up one of the last Star Wars BD sets from his Best Buy. I was at my local Best Buy (I live in the Northeast) yesterday evening. The store had two large cardboard Star Wars displays, both of which surprisingly still had a lot of the sets left. (Maybe the Star Wars geeks in my area decided to really boycott Wink ) Even my boyfriend, who is a HUGE Star Wars fan, said he's willing to wait on getting the BD set since it doesn't include the original theatrical releases. (I'll probably just get it for him for Christmas.)

I'm glad that someone asked about Stu Levy and Hetalia since I was thinking of doing so myself. I don't like what he's doing at all and suspect that now that the Priest movie is out on video he needs something else to do. Tokyopop going out of business broke my heart. I had been a fan of the company since they'd been called Mixx and was very upset when they shut down with only one volume of The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko and two volumes of VB Rose left to release (not to mention all those unfortunate people who lost their jobs). Please, Stu Levy, just go away and leave us alone.

I have mixed feelings about Metropolis. I enjoyed it when I first saw it in 2002, but it definitely did not live up to all the hype that was buzzing about it at the time. Hearing what Rintaro said about waiting for Tezuka to die does disgust me...but I want to forgive him since he did make those wonderful GE999 movies (thanks very much Discotek for re-releasing those). Then again he did make that incomprehensible X/1999 film... Plus, I don't think I personally can criticize him for saying that since I've had similar thoughts about Riyoko Ikeda passing away as the only way we'd have any hope of a Rose of Versailles release over here. I'm not proud of thinking that but it's true Embarassed

Again, this was a great episode! Can't wait for the next one Very Happy
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I wore my Lucky Star shirt all the time the first time I was pregnant because it was huge, and I thought it looked funny. I've worn it a couple of times this pregnancy, too. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I think they look almost bizarrely cute when you're huge and pregnant.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
^ In cases like that I think people give expecting mothers a pass due to the circumstances at hand. I know at least I do. I went to school with someone was expecting and one day all she had on was a large basketball jersey and no pants.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
The new feature sounds cool! Razz Looking forward to it. I've got to check out Mardock Scramble sometime, it sounds really interesting.
I never saw the original Trigun anime so I probably won't be watching Badlands Rumble.
I've never really been into Star Wars (I think I've only seen one of the movies in its entirety and I was five at the time so...) and was completely unaware of the re-releases... now I am.
I agree that a work should be judged on its own merits as opposed to the studio creating it. If it's a quality work it'll speak for itself.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Justin, I was wondering what brands of green tea you usually buy/prefer (not counting exclusive green tea blends from Japan priced like cocaine) when you're shopping at your "local Japanese grocery?"
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
After it was revealed that the BDs wouldn't include the original theatrical cuts and featured even more silly alterations, I was really tempted to cancel my pre-order. The only reason I ended up buying this set was the fear that, in a few years, Lucas will only let us buy the 3D editions. Crying or Very sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Justin: It's not like the Metropolis anime happened in a vacuum. Rintaro obviously had to get permission from Tezuka's son. And Tezuka didn't exactly die living large. He got screwed out of the rights to a number of works he created and owned. And it took years to bring them back into the TezukaPro fold. So, if Makoto's got a lot of legal fees and needs to once again promote public interest in his dad's intellectual properties, then I'm sure Tezuka Sr. would agree. As for its appeal, well, it's been a long time since any production was that retro, and that was clearly missed. Plus, its unfortunate timing of getting released around 9/11 just happened to be more fortunate in the end.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
With regards to that specific example you mentioned: Jabba the Hutt was never in the original film. Not as a human, not as an alien creature. He wasn't there. That entire scene was never ever in the movie. It's a deleted scene, never in the original film because it conveys no new information to the viewer that has not already been established. The insertion of said scene required additional special effects work to integrate into the picture, since as you said adding it as-is would introduce a continuity error. Except the effects work done still doesn't match up with the character's appearance in Return of the Jedi.

I suppose that shows how little I know/care about the original cut. Honestly, unless I watch a compilation on YouTube or something, I probably wouldn't be able to tell or know what was added to these (or what's different from the previous time stuff was added) As a matter of fact, I probably never saw the original 'pure' theatrical version now that I think about it if what you said is true. I suppose it'd be the same for kids who will grow up watching these Blu-Rays. In addition, the last time I saw these movies was maybe over five years ago, so I probably wouldn't even remember if a scene was in it originally or not.

Quote:
You know how on this very forum, whenever there's an announcement about an anime or manga series being released in the US that may need to undergo editing, the way everyone reacts quite negatively? This is the exact same thing. Remember the times before One Piece was being released by FUNimation? Remember how everyone really hated the 4Kids version? A big part of that was because that was the only version made legally available to people. Oh sure, it was "still 90% there," but if you wanted regular ol' One Piece without the obnoxious rapping or jarringly out-of-place CG alterations, you had no choice but to get the fansubs, aka "steal it."

Eh, I don't think that's a fair comparison. 4Kids aren't the ones who made the shows, they're a random company in an entirely different country. (Plus they cut out whole episodes/entire musical scores/so forth). I think it's more like the additions/revisions they add to BD of anime releases in Japan (like Madoka), which I've never really seen anyone complain about.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Re: everyone is a d!ck on the net (or was it everyone on the net is a d!ck.)

In regards to my own supposed d!ckishness.
I am usually trying to raise a valid point(IMHO) and or trying to be amusing. Being seen to be trying to be a d!ck is just the risk taken when the point is a touchy one or the joke is obtuse. Sometimes it's just a misfire on either front.

So here's what I think is a valid point(while preparing to be seen as nothing more than a d!ck).

Rintaro(?) uses other person's source material w/ out permission.

Star Wars fan re-edits Movies to suit own taste w/ out permission.

Justin re-authors DVDs to suit own taste w/ out permission.

George Lucas re-edits Movies to suit own taste legally but w/ out fans' permission(or much to their dismay).

I do similar things myself.

What's the validating factor? The outlook towards the originator, intended audience/scale of actions impact, legal ownership?

There reason I ask is that all these matters were raised with, but with differing takes on the person's actions.

It could be said that I'm taking too broad a view but that's why I'm asking.

I can apologize in advance if that will help.

---------------
On the trying to be funny side:

Perhaps Justin could get Robin(hey! one of my sisters' name is Robin Smile ) to make a manga starring Justin and Nina...call it Tea and Elf.

Hah ha because y'see it's like Spice and...Well...

I'm tempted to say 'do everyone a favor and just ban me already', but I think Zac would love nothing more than to be able to say that I asked for it, literally.

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that I'm part of the audience for Mardock Scramble. The ugly style that Zac described appeals to my screwy, bleak aesthetic sensibilities. I also find a lot to like in the kind of dense, sometimes obtuse and complicated science-fiction that it seems to be. I'm also well disposed toward Tow Ubakata for the moment because of Le Chevalier D'Eon. The impression that I've gotten of it is sort of 'old fashioned', at least to the extent that it seems superficially like a late eighties or early nineties OVA.

I like the cast of the English dub, so I'm interested in hearing it and I think that Steven Foster is a pretty good director when he restrains himself chiefly to the actor's performances without tampering with the script.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't love Star Wars, but my attitude on the merits of the respective merits of the original films is close to Zac's, except that I'm really pretty indifferent toward the franchise. I don't like some of the dumb changes, although a lot of them are pretty innocuous, but I lack the emotional investment to mind either way. I also don't like the prequel films. I'm not even sure if I've seen all of... whatever the last one was called.

I think that the severe response is because liking Star Wars is because its appeal is emotional. These people care because of the importance it had to them when they were young or because its a vital cultural touchstone for them. The rage is perhaps more a show of group cohesion than really disapproval. There isn't much intellectual or rational about it, so emotion takes the whole thing over. Emotional connections are most of what entertainment is about, but it becomes risible when it reaches a particular overwhelming intensity that crowds most reason and self-awareness out.

The effort for the fall season sounds impressive and laborious, so I'm very curious to see how it turns out. It can't hurt to try to enlarge the site's ties to the industry.

Zac shouting, "SIX TIMES THE RESOLUTION," sounded almost like a villain's lackey scientist in an an old Manga Video or CPM dub. That's what I latched on to in that discussion since I'm... I'm pretty weirdly insensitive to quality unless it's really awful, so I have a hard time not being at least a little irritated when observing debates over video quality, although for some reason I'm still thinking of adopting Blu-ray anyway with hopes of seeing the light.

I preferred Magical Witch Punie-chan to Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, but neither is bad and I'm biased strongly toward dark. I felt a little dissatisfied about Bludgeoning Angle Dokuro-chan in the end in way that I didn't about Magical Witch Punie-chan. I suppose that it felt like it ward supposed to go somewhere, but didn't, despite suggesting that it would. I suppose that that's a wrongheaded thing to look for in a show like that, but I can't shake the feeling.

I don't think that Lucky Star is bad on its own merits, but it does feel like a standard-bearer for a lot of things that I don't like and some pandering that makes me uneasy to think about.

I too await a wave of necrophilia anime so that I can at last own a nude Rei Ayanami's corpse hug pillow, or do they already make those?

The dream project question is so dorky, but I can't help but be curious about the answers.

I liked Justin's idea. I too relish the suffering of children.

As for me... how about a show about a group of extra-dimensional refugees come to earth to hide from their pursuers in the guise of a Night Ranger tribute band... also, they fight crime.

I had an experience like Justin's at American Beauty when my public management professor showed 12 Angry Men, which an audience of graduate students interpreted as comedy. I'm probably a little too sore since it happens to be one of my favorite films. (Somehow that did not happen with 12 O'Clock High)

As someone who feels a little uncomfortable paying $12.50 for a seven-ounce tin of Harney & Sons Earl Grey Supreme, paying $150 for a pittance of green tea isn't within my realm of comprehension. I suspect that the blend in question might function as a veblen good.

Cheesecracker wrote:
In regards to my own supposed d!ckishness.
I am usually trying to raise a valid and or trying to be amusing. Being seen to be trying to be a d!ck is just the risk taken when the point is a touchy one or the joke is obtuse.

Being a dick is about more acting a certain way and fetishizing being a provocateur than what is being expressed, the alleged substance sometimes being used to escape or illegitimate social consequences and pressure to exercise self-restraint

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:28 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Justin, I was wondering what brands of green tea you usually buy/prefer (not counting exclusive green tea blends from Japan priced like cocaine) when you're shopping at your "local Japanese grocery?"

I don't really have one. Every time I settled on one, it would disappear from stores. So at this rate I'll just buy any $11-16/100g priced bag of loose Japanese Sencha or Maccha-coated sencha. The Japanese market is very picky about its tea, so the price pretty much dictates its quality (up to a certain point).
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know where to get the live action Space Travelers movie Justin was talking about? I tried Yesasia.com and it was OOP.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Judge Of Toyama wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the live action Space Travelers movie Justin was talking about? I tried Yesasia.com and it was OOP.

The Japanese R2 is still in print, but I don't think it has subs. I found my copy at a Chinese DVD store.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure we'll find Rigor Mortis-chan at some convention in another couple years.

Or sooner!

Well considering the fact that Miracle Jump debuted a story in which
Nyarlathotep from the H.P. Lovecraft Cathulu mythos is remade into a short skirted pringles scarfing Moe girl anything is possible I think.
billk1928

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
First off, let me state, as a member of the “Baby Boomers” generation, I was insulted by Justin’s comments. I didn’t have any choice when I was born. Nobody does. I also learned that judging someone by the group is foolish, so I try to avoid doing that. (Was interesting that later on, you mentioned that everybody on the Internet now is an asshole. I guess that includes you, right? It also means in person, you're a real nice guy.) ('Razz')

Now that I have that out of the way, I learned a bit of good information from this ‘cast, and appreciated your insights into various shows. For example, I hadn’t heard about a fan actually refurbishing Star Wars, including repainting original scenes back into the movies. I'll look into that.

I would like to see Redline, since so many have spoken positively about it. I might also check out Mardock Scramble, since Zac's take on it intrigued me. I think that tool the main character was given might've rhymed better with "beef coke", avoiding all sorts of problems that way. Or maybe they were deliberate in mispronouncing it...

I'm saddened by the dominating influence Japanese otaku impose on the Anime industry, as I agree the business needs to move in new and interesting directions if it is going to stay strong throughout the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4