• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singapore Anime Licensor Pursues Illegal Downloaders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superfly123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quote
A strange thing: Since news report of ODEX prosecution of fansubs downloaders, the website of ODEX had been understruction even until now....

As such, pple cant find out what is the extend of ODEX licensing agreement with Anime companies in Japan and the actual list anime they licensed. Seems like it's a calculated move to facilitate their witch hunt.
Lucifiel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I know quite a few friends who have spent a lot of money shipping anime from overseas. However, it's not an easy task 'cos of customs: often, they'll want you to pay them a sum of at least $50 to $100 per disc to open the package and review the film. However, the worst part is that the discs are sometimes delivered damaged(torn covers, scratched discs, etc.) and you can't even say anything in rebuttal.

And if the censor board disapproves of the content within the disc, then you'll need to pay a fine of up to $10k or more and also send the discs back. However, the thing is: not all retailers will accept and refund opened goods. In such an event, either customs or some lucky sod will bring it home for their own pleasure or something like that.

And let me say this: the censorship board is rarely consistent. One of my friends had a certain anime title confisticated while someone elses' wasn't. And even though, she appealed constantly, they rejected her. I guess they don't think much of anime or manga 'cos she got scolded for buying things that're meant for children.

Anyways, one of my friends has paid up a ton in fines. And 'cos of that, he stopped buying anime. Why bother when your goods keep getting confisticated? Why bother when your goods are delivered, damaged and with scratches?

Also, one of the reasons why the Odex fiasco has occurred is because the Japanese animation companies don't view Singapore as a potential market. Because of that, they aren't going to overlook downloading of fansubbed anime like they do in other markets. Furthermore, I guess they intend to milk the market by sueing as many people as they can. After all, Odex will likely profit by as much as $3 million to $5 million Net Profit from the lawsuits.
lalianas_boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
wao wrote:
minakichan wrote:
As I understand, anime actually has some following in Singapore-- you can actually watch a lot of it on TV, and manga doesn't cost an arm and a leg, so there's a lot less excuse for illegal downloaders.

Just butting in to give some extra information...

Compared to the US, then yes, it's a lot, but just as a gauge we have about 2-3 anime shows subbed in English aired per week (I remember they had 12K at one point, Jigoku Shoujo at another, and Inuyasha one day too)... on public TV with English subtitles/dubs. I think they're airing Melody of Oblivion soon (wtf?! how much censorship will that need?). I have no idea about the Chinese ones.

But we do have a lot of it by most standards if you count the additional benefit of getting Animax SEA on cable TV. That's a local offshoot of the Animax in Japan, and while the shows are obviously not as new as on Animax Asia it's got a decent selection (among crap shows they actually AIRED Princess Tutu, Emma, and a bunch of other stuff you can look up on ANN).
Yeah, 24h of anime which does actually change over time, obviously quite a bit better than AXN-Asia back when it used to show anime.
You have to get a specific package to get Animax though, and that's why I don't get to see it (parents: "24 hours of anime? Do you think we got possessed?")

I think you are missing the point. Yes, we may get more anime the the US and yes, we have Animax that provides 24 hour anime, but I think you're forgetting that they are in ENGLISH DUB(ABSOLUTE DISGRACE)! And although you can switch inbetween japanese and english, the subtitles are in Chinese. It may be that chinese make up more than two-thirds of the population(Im not racist and I dont want to offend anybody), some of us are not. Malays and Indians don't actually learn chinese. Thus, we are being deprived of actually watching proper JAPANESE anime.

I study in Australia, and return home twice a year, and one of the things I look forward to the most during my breaks is watching anime. I buy anime as well, but If you look at some prices out there, it is actually quite expensive ($30!!!). The cheaper ones are usually in Chinese subs or dubs or just raw so whats the point. Also, Singapore doesn't seem to keep up with the latest trends ( NAruto Shippuden is already out!). Lucifel made a good point about the customs and stuff because it has happened to me before and I had my anime confiscated. Otherwise, I would have continued to buy anime from overseas.

I am not saying that we should download (otherwise shouldnt they have already gotten rid of all anime websites?). But there are already so many restrictions that people are going to get sick and tired of buying anime, parents will get sick and tired of paying for it, that they will stop and that's when the anime industry in singapore will go down the drain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3