• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Usagi Drop Episodes 1-11 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
As I understand it, in the later part of the manga spoiler[Rin turns out not to be related to Daikichi] so, really, the only squickiness is spoiler[the age difference]. What's so alarming about that? spoiler[There was a similar age difference with my parents.] And they were spoiler[related - my father was a cousin of my mother's father.] That's only one genealogical step further away than Rin and Daikichi, spoiler[had they been related]. I don't see a problem either way. See - it happens in the west, too. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
As I understand it, in the later part of the manga spoiler[Rin turns out not to be related to Daikichi] so, really, the only squickiness is spoiler[the age difference]. What's so alarming about that? spoiler[There was a similar age difference with my parents.]

I don't think it's the spoiler[age difference that bothers some of us. It's the fact that Daikichi raised Rin as his daughter since she was only six-years-old. That's the squicky part. The age difference has nothing to do with it. The lack of blood relation is irrelevant since for all intents and purposes, he is her father. Ick.]

I'd pre-order an R1 release of the anime in a second, but I'm treating the manga the same way I do with the later Alien sequels. The don't exist and no one can convince me otherwise. LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA! *covers ears*
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
As I understand it, in the later part of the manga spoiler[Rin turns out not to be related to Daikichi] so, really, the only squickiness is spoiler[the age difference]. What's so alarming about that?

I've seen this "explanation" before, and it completely misses the point. No, that is not the only "squickiness." I take you see nothing wrong with spoiler[adoptive parents raising children and then having sexual relationships with those same children once they're legal?] Because I don't understand that mindset one bit and find the idea more than a bit gross. spoiler[The idea that the blood relation bit was the only thing that really have mattered strikes me as something that only fans of semantics could appreciate.] It's frankly irrelevant to what makes it so off putting.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
@hissatsu01,

To me the important questions in such relationships are:

- Do they love each other?

- Does the younger person (and, for that matter, the older person) fully understand the implications of what they are doing? And resolve to live with those consequences?

- What is the power relationship between the two, ie are they truly equal?

If each of those questions can be answered positively, I have no issue with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rowsdower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
@hissatsu01,

- Does the younger person (and, for that matter, the older person) fully understand the implications of what they are doing? And resolve to live with those consequences?

Except you can't answer that last one positively. There is an INCREDIBLE power imbalance between parents/parental figures and children.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
errinundra wrote:
@hissatsu01,

Except you can't answer that last one positively. There is an INCREDIBLE power imbalance between parents/parental figures and children.

The problem with this is that once one grows towards maturity, this power imbalance flattens out to nearly nothing.

You stop looking up at your parents as you become a teenager and the balance of power gets murky for a while, teens are naturally rebellious and as they become adults, they move onto the same social level as their parents.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

The problem with this is that once one grows towards maturity, this power imbalance flattens out to nearly nothing.

You stop looking up at your parents as you become a teenager and the balance of power gets murky for a while, teens are naturally rebellious and as they become adults, they move onto the same social level as their parents.

Swing and a miss. The power imbalance is always there, because they were the ones who raised you. They were the ones who influenced and even gave you your entire world-view as a child. While you may at some point reach their same social standing when you are their age, it doesn't mean a thing concerning the emotional power they've had as your prime authority figure your entire life.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:

Then we are pretty much in agreement. A point I was trying to imply is that an outsider's view of a relationship is irrelevant. My cultural baggage has no bearing on someone else's affairs. The only things that matter are what goes on between the two people within the relationship. A power imbalance is bad news and, as you and Sewingrose point out, it is highly likely in the sort of relationship we're discussing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Sorry errinundra but . . .

hissatsu01 wrote:
I've seen this "explanation" before, and it completely misses the point. No, that is not the only "squickiness." I take you see nothing wrong with spoiler[adoptive parents raising children and then having sexual relationships with those same children once they're legal?] Because I don't understand that mindset one bit and find the idea more than a bit gross. spoiler[The idea that the blood relation bit was the only thing that really have mattered strikes me as something that only fans of semantics could appreciate.] It's frankly irrelevant to what makes it so off putting.

. . . I absolutely agree with this post.

spoiler[The blood relationship - or lack of it - doesn't come into this, Daikichi raised Rin as his own daughter, even if he never formally adopted her. And what about him and his ability (I would argue responsibility) to say no? Just because she wants to marry him doesn't mean he should accept. So by not rejecting Rin's advances outright his character is completely destroyed, because a real father (and I mean that in the paternal rather than the biological sense) would never even contemplate having sexual relations with his daughter, biologically-related or not.]

If a second season was made and it was faithful to the Manga, then there would be a big problem related to but not immediately concerning the ending. Here is what Spastic Minnow wrote, it is quite interesting.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
I've been reading the manga (I've red through v.3, and v.4 is waiting for a free moment) and it seems to me the anime has not been setting up a second season in the same subtle way that the manga seems to set up the second half. The anime really glosses over Daikichi's more sour moods, ugly looks, a tendency to get enraged at things more easily (without acting out on it), and most importantly a more insistent reminding that that he is really bad with women, and children to a lesser extent. He can't understand them, has no idea how to handle them and he realizes that Rin is a rare exception. An entire small arc about a very young and sexy coworker hitting on him is skipped and there are small moments and inner thoughts that are cut as well. For instance, his thoughts on allowing Rin to continue sitting on his lap are expanded and seem to suggest, in Japanese culture, it really is quite normal to discourage a girl Rin's age from sitting on your lap and that he may, through ignorance, be doing something very slightly abnormal by letting it continue.

So, if a second season were made it would most likely be hurt not only by what you think of it's conclusion but by the fact that the conclusion was never adequately foreshadowed by the first season.
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
MJP wrote:
If the manga ending squicks you out, go read up on the Tale of Genji.

LOL... as soon as the ending of the manga was spoiled for me, that was the first thing that popped into my head. While I'm kinda ticked at the turn of events...spoiler[ I will say that Daikichi would make a much better husband than Genji could ever be to Murasaki. I'm still reading The Tale of Genji.... every time she's mentioned, I feel so bad for her... ]

If they were to make a second season.. I hope they steer clear of the manga ending. Ugh.. that bums me out. I can't look at it the same now... Sad Now I know what the comments on Crunchyroll meant by "terrible ending." Ah well..
Rensie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This is an ignorant post. First, your contention that only foreigners and "bigots" (love how you link the two) complain is highly dubious. I have no doubt there are plenty of Japanese who would oppose the manga ending as well. Second, if you are non-Japanese and have a problem with the manga ending, that doesn't make you a bigot. I'm not even bother going to explain why, because anybody with an I.Q. over 10 would understand this simple point and too bad for those who don't meet that minimal thresh-hold.

Is not an ingnorant post but legit, please quote me where japanese people complain about the ending with words like "creepy" (this terminology is bigotry) and so on. Sorry but i said only the truth and thanks god if they made a second season they probably wont deviate from the original to please a bunch of non-factor foreigners q_qers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
Blood- wrote:
This is an ignorant post. First, your contention that only foreigners and "bigots" (love how you link the two) complain is highly dubious. I have no doubt there are plenty of Japanese who would oppose the manga ending as well. Second, if you are non-Japanese and have a problem with the manga ending, that doesn't make you a bigot. I'm not even bother going to explain why, because anybody with an I.Q. over 10 would understand this simple point and too bad for those who don't meet that minimal thresh-hold.

Is not an ingnorant post but legit, please quote me where japanese people complain about the ending with words like "creepy" (this terminology is bigotry) and so on. Sorry but i said only the truth and thanks god if they made a second season they probably wont deviate from the original to please a bunch of non-factor foreigners q_qers.

So you have nothing to contribute to this discussion except to repeat your original idiotic statements. Way to go, Mr. Under 10.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, six posts before this thread descended into a several page debate over the manga's ending. Rolling Eyes
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Wow, six posts before this thread descended into a several page debate over the manga's ending. Rolling Eyes

marrying your child is something that even surprised me. If they where going to go for source material adaption then that's what would happen, no point in spoiler everyone should know this already.

Aside I loved the anime.. It's one of the few that as a hard core fan that I am ashamed to admit that i can openly recommend to anyone that likes a good story or drama.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
People are forgetting that, in the adoption episode of the anime, Rin made it absolutely clear that she didn't consider Daikichi to be her father. People are imposing their values onto the story, not paying attention to what the story is telling us.

In any case, the power relationship between them is still important to me. Could an adult Rin be equal in a relationship with Daikichi? I'm inclined to say she couldn't but I can imagine the circumstances where she was, if the story were well written, as it is, say, in Koi Kaze which deals with an even closer genetic relationship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4