• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Am the NHK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Ah, Bamboo, you earn my eternal loyality for promoting Rumbling Hearts, quite possibly the best romantic drama anime I've ever seen. A few glaring issues aside (translations for a certain children's book would have been good Funimation!) it's one of the best titles they've released in my opinion.

Although I am an English dub fan, thus somewhat biased, I still feel confident in saying that Rumbling Hearts has some of the best performances ever by it's cast. Leah Clark especially, even though she isn't one of the big three characters, stands out. Extremely talented actress.

It's one heck of a fantastic drama and I think you'd have to have ice water for blood not to be moved by it at times. (I wish the sales were as fantastic as the series so Funimation would license the related anime series.)
My eternal loyalty as well, especially considering the general critical reception of series from this kind of source. And now with Shuffle! in the works, I wonder if Funi is poised to make a name for itself for releasing good erogame-based series that aren't related to Key and Kyoto Animation.

While I'm not as much of a English dub fan as Richard is, I enjoyed RH just as much in English as I did in Japanese. (Aside from the storybook issue, of course.)

@ Richard: If by "related anime series" you mean Akane Maniax...then trust me, you're not missing out on very much.
indrik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:

I also think it fails at conveying what the series is actually about. I would've never watched the show if I first saw it in a store looking like that. Generic "look, everyone, a hot chick in a skimpy outfit!" cover art drives me away from a show immediately.

I just had a momentary crisis of confidence buying this at the Best Buy, and not wanting to appear a pervert. I bought it anyway- the dude at the counter knew the show, and was complaining about the same thing, so that made up for it a little bit. Then again, I don't know the show, really, I'm relying on the opinions of others. But the folks that convinced me to give it a shot are not usually the fanservice types, so I feel safe picking it up and thinking the first volume cover probably doesn't convey the feel of the series.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
halfadeckshort wrote:
VEGANDARAE wrote:
Does this mean that GTO gets a new cast or will it all stay the same?

The contents of the DVDs are the same, Funimation is just doing the packaging and distribution.

Considering this is a title I borrowed from a friend, who moved to Arizona for college, I might have to finally buy it. Here's hoping the price tag will be decent.

I have to disagree to a point with her review on Witchblade though. Probably because I'm a Witchblade comic fanboy. Honestly though the series probably is more enjoyable to a certain degree for those who have read the comics and know some of the history. While it is a simple action title and there's a little bit lacking in the depth I think Masane herself is interesting a new twist in the Witchblade bearer. Again, probably because I read the comics I can appreciate that more. While I agree it is not a masterpiece title by any stretch of the imagination I do think it's a bit better then described. But to each their own. And there also aint nothing wrong simply watching Masane in her Witchblade outfit! Embarassed Shocked
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
domino wrote:

I also think it fails at conveying what the series is actually about. I would've never watched the show if I first saw it in a store looking like that. Generic "look, everyone, a hot chick in a skimpy outfit!" cover art drives me away from a show immediately.

I just had a momentary crisis of confidence buying this at the Best Buy, and not wanting to appear a pervert. I bought it anyway- the dude at the counter knew the show, and was complaining about the same thing, so that made up for it a little bit. Then again, I don't know the show, really, I'm relying on the opinions of others. But the folks that convinced me to give it a shot are not usually the fanservice types, so I feel safe picking it up and thinking the first volume cover probably doesn't convey the feel of the series.
I also thought that cover image was a little odd -- the actual show contains some "hot chick" imagery, but Welcome to the NHK's real message is decidedly against the culture that drools over 2-D imagery. It's certainly not a series that revels in fanservice for fanservice's sake a la Girls Bravo or Ikkitousen.

When it comes to buying anime in retail stores, I approach it with the mindset of, "Well, whatever random person who's working at the counter will consider me weird/deviant for buying any anime in the first place, so buying one with cheesecake cover art doesn't make much difference."
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

When it comes to buying anime in retail stores, I approach it with the mindset of, "Well, whatever random person who's working at the counter will consider me weird/deviant for buying any anime in the first place, so buying one with cheesecake cover art doesn't make much difference."

Plus God knows what they buy. Whenever I get those kinds of looks I just imagine them in a store buying Debby Does Dallas 6 and smile and laugh at them as they wonder why.
WesW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
The first few eps of Witchblade didn't impress me much at all, with the ridiculous Ex-con transformations and female character designs straight out of a hentai, but it's one of those series which gets somewhat better around episode 9, so if the first two volumes interest you enough to keep watching, you'll probably want to watch it all.

One thing I have been wondering about- is watching anime a popular activity among our armed forces? There is a certain fansub group that alludes to them from time to time, and there have been other references here and there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:05 am Reply with quote
When I saw the first episode of Witchblade I soon discovered this was just another wheelberrel load of fanservice for young virgin boys with no sister. Jiggle TV. However I also sensed that the designers purposely made her in that design in the hope some cosplayer somewhere would actually try to dress up like her, falling into the setup for their sadist humour. Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
with no sister.

Growin' up ain't what it used to be, hey?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
with no sister.

Growin' up ain't what it used to be, hey?
On the contrary. I was an only child in a world where sex was kept in the dark and not talked about in front of. But I have a boy and a girl for children and so know what I'm talking about. Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
On the contrary. I was an only child in a world where sex was kept in the dark and not talked about in front of. But I have a boy and a girl for children and so know what I'm talking about. Wink

yeaaaaah.

Next time try and word it so that it doesn't make you think everyone's keen on their sisters while growing up. Only child or not, it's not the best thing to either do, mention, or whatever else.

You're creepy.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked Tekkon Kinkreet more than I thought I would. The core of the story remained most intact, allowing me to fill in some parts with developments from the manga. But the movie ultimately lacked the direction and pacing that it sorely deserved, the music was near-constant, and the omission of spoiler[the reason why Black returns to white] bugged the hell out of me.

One touch that I did like about the movie was that we had actual, visual examples of the city changing -- something that the manga didn't explicitly show.

It's probably one of, if not the best eye-candy to behold in anime, though. Watch it for that, if nothing else.

Kagemusha wrote:
And I really, really need to read NHK.

Fix'd. Haven't seen the anime, but Gonzo being the ones behind it doesn't motivate me to. That, and the manga is entertaining enough as it is.

I'd actually further recommend the novel of which the anime and manga are based on. IT IS NOT A LIGHT NOVEL. This is one of those rare anime/manga-related novels being translated that are not light novels, and were marketed as actual novels in Japan. That, and Andrew Cunningham's praises for it (loves it, to say the least) have me excited for Tokyopop's release.

Plus, it has cover art by Yoshitoshi ABe. Gotta catch your attention, man.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Haven't seen the anime, but Gonzo being the ones behind it doesn't motivate me to. That, and the manga is entertaining enough as it is.

Those are basically the reasons I'm passing on the anime. I'm enjoying the manga and plan to get the novel and I don't see any reason to get the anime on top of that. The fact that its Gonzo doesn't exactly help.

Quote:
I'd actually further recommend the novel of which the anime and manga are based on. IT IS NOT A LIGHT NOVEL. This is one of those rare anime/manga-related novels being translated that are not light novels, and were marketed as actual novels in Japan. That, and Andrew Cunningham's praises for it (loves it, to say the least) have me excited for Tokyopop's release.

Plus, it has cover art by Yoshitoshi ABe. Gotta catch your attention, man.

Since Scrapped Princess is on indefinite hiatus, this is easily the novel (light or otherwise) I'm looking forward to the most.
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Very Happy NHK got self-worthy~

I just loved this show and thought it was the best (Well one of the best xD)! I can't wait to get the DVD and see how the English Dub is.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
yeaaaaah.

Next time try and word it so that it doesn't make you think everyone's keen on their sisters while growing up. Only child or not, it's not the best thing to either do, mention, or whatever else.

You're creepy.
So you didn't have a sister either, who had a messy room, and left her dirty laundry about, or had to share a bathroom with while you grew up? Are you still growing up? What I'm talking about is exposure to the opposite sex, enough not to be needing to see fanservice in a cartoon for. Wink
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
yeaaaaah.

You're creepy.
So you didn't have a sister either, who had a messy room, and left her dirty laundry about, or had to share a bathroom with while you grew up? Are you still growing up? What I'm talking about is exposure to the opposite sex, enough not to be needing to see fanservice in a cartoon for. Wink

D: Oh God. So that's what you meant. I was convinced that you were implying that little boys could get their jollies off by just peeking in at their sisters.

Thank goodness you clarified. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4