• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva 1.0 Theme Helps Singer Set Digital Download Record

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Michi: Flooding a place with merchandise isn't the same as selling merchandise. For example, does anyone actually own any Jar Jar action figures? Rolling Eyes

A #1 movie, a #1 manga, and a #1 single aren't signs that things are selling?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
Um, it's not really the highest-selling manga in Japan. And the single's success was at least half due to the artist. And the movie's not bad, but coming and going in a month isn't really impressive.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Um, it's not really the highest-selling manga in Japan. And the single's success was at least half due to the artist. And the movie's not bad, but coming and going in a month isn't really impressive.

You do realise the average theatre run for an Anime film that isn't say, Pokemon or Ghibli, generally will not have long runs because there's basically no point. Eva is an exception because more people will see it, but there's little reason for it to hang around for more than a month. Even FOTNS or Zeta Gundam, from what I can gather, lasted much longer or shorter and the actual different in time is completely irrelevant.

line removed due to inappropriate language and flames

[Edit: That kind of language is NOT appropriate and I best not see it again. Please reread teh rules and pay particular attention to numbers 4 and 7. - Keonyn]
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Um, it's not really the highest-selling manga in Japan.

Who said it was? It was the #1 selling manga in its debut week. You only claimed that Evangelion merchandise didn't sell. Please stop shifting the goalposts again.

Quote:
And the single's success was at least half due to the artist.

That's nice. Your point? That's like saying the Eva UCC Coffee's success was at least half due to coffee. Regardless of your state of denial, it sold, demonstrating that along with the other merchandising, that Evangelion sells.

Quote:
And the movie's not bad, but coming and going in a month isn't really impressive.

Uh, it's still playing.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
Utada did release an album in the U.S. (Timbaland helped produce). It wasn't that successful. Blame the marketing.

She can speak English perfectly because she spent a considerable amount of time living in the U.S. I do not know if it's true that she was born here. I'm positive she studied here (I believe she went to Columbia?)

Utada official website @ IslandRecords.com - Home

Quote:
"Utada" is her family name, and music is the family business. Born in Manhattan to a traditional-Japanese-style-singer Mom and musician/producer Dad, she was flying frequently between New York and Tokyo before she had learned to walk.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Michi: Flooding a place with merchandise isn't the same as selling merchandise. For example, does anyone actually own any Jar Jar action figures? Rolling Eyes

This is why I mentioned "there were tons of people around it looking at the displays and buying things", as in, people were indeed buying and it was selling. You're trying a bit too hard to debunk the fact that Evangelion is indeed popular again. I really don't understand why it means so much to you to try and attempt to prove that it's not, when you aren't really giving any facts or anything to go against what we're all saying here.

testorschoice wrote:
That's like saying the Eva UCC Coffee's success was at least half due to coffee.

I'm guilty of buying and collecting those coffee cans because I wanted all the characters, but it's also because the coffee really is damn good. Evangelion helped me discover my new favorite canned coffee in Japan. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3