• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
So the trades are sometimes called comics and tankōbon are just for novels or graphic novels?

The final word "novels" in my previous post does NOT include graphic novels i.e. manga. It referred to text-only novels and lightly illustrated novels only. There is no clear, written, or publicly recognized definition for the usage of the term tankōbon though.

Note that most recent "light novels" that often come with anime adaptations are published directly as bunko format, which is smaller than a tankōbon.

Last edited by dormcat on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
And let's not forget that Comiket, the biggest manga event in Japan (and thus the biggest comic event in the world) is a portmanteau of 'comics' and 'market' Wink

I've seen imported superhero comics being referred to as 'amicomi' though, whereas European/French comics go by the monnicker BD (bande desinnee).
louieatrest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
I think most professional philosophers have given up on a meta-language hundreds of years ago. The meaning of most words are dynamic and are implied within the context spoken. When Zac uses the term "comic", most of use who read his article can tell he is using it as a general term because we are familiar with all the terms used in "fandom". If I call an uninterested friend in the middle of the night to rant to her how I paid $15 for a Shounen manga, I'm probably being an obscure asshole. I think you reach a whole other level of wierdness when you ask THE answerman of an anime website why he does not use the proper terms, especially after he said he was not interested in hearing that he was not using the proper terms.

The directing an anime question was a little depressing. It would be hard work, this is certain, but if you are burning to do it, than do it and do your best. What talents you lack can always be found in others. Film making is a team effort, where no one is successful on their own. I was on track to becoming a film maker, but I became bored and did not really like the people I was associating with, so I moved on, but having tried my best up to that decision has made me appreciate good films (including anime) even more than I had before. (Unfortunately it also makes me realize how depressingly banal films like "Lord of the Rings" truly are!)
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
Ok. I'm going to be going OT here.

What is with all the political name dropping in the US elections?

Don't you vote for parties? How can different candidates from the same party have such broadly different policies to make it worthwhile differentiating between them?

The UK works; broadly; along the lines of the public voting for a party based on its policies, history and how much they believe they can implement them. The party then decides who its leader will be among itself and that party leader becomes PM. (you've got the house of lords and parliament as well)
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
I use to care what anime and manga were called. Someone called them "cartoons" I'd say "No, it's ANIME." But no more. I call them Japanese cartoons or even anime cartoons often times now. Though I usually don't refer to more adult stuff like Ghost in the Shell or Monster "cartoons."

Trailers almost never get me to buy a series, but I do like watching them.
velocet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:21 am Reply with quote
Melt-Banana! The best thing about Melt-Banana is that even if you could understand what she was saying, you know it'd probably be nonsense anyway. Did you catch them on their US tour last year?

As for manga versus comics, I use comics, pretty much all the time. Storytelling though use of sequential art, dialogue presented in speech bubbles...looks like a comic to me.

I did use manga when I first learned of the word, but I eventually got sick of explaining what I meant to people, so I switched to 'Japanese comics', and just dropped the 'Japanese' part after a while out of sheer laziness. These days I find it funny that I militantly used 'manga' for such a long time around people to whom the word was just jargon. A comic's a comic, it doesn't really matter where it comes from.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
Is "racist libertarian lunatic" meant to imply that libertarianism is as bad as racism and lunacy? There are only two types of government: perfect libertarian and totalitarian. Everyone in government who isn't a perfect libertarian is a Stalin, a Mao, and a Hitler combined (including Ron Paul, whose foreign policy is all wrong for a libertarian.)

As far as "anime" vs. "comics," sure it's elitist, but how can I ever be elite if I don't use the proper terminology?

And similarly with the fansub issue, how can I ever attain a higher status where the entire transaction is geared toward my wants, not the other party's? I don't want anime for free; I want to be paid for watching anime.

Ultimately, I want to have most other people saying, "I'm worthless and shouldn't concern myself with my own desires or needs, but with those of an elite group that contributes nothing." How am I supposed to do that?

As to J-pop, I do like it, because A) I understand a little of what they're singing, B) the parts I don't I can memorize phonetically, and C) they use a lot of English anyway. But I like the softer sounds of artists like Oda Kazumasa, Mr. Children, and the Southern All Stars. Not so much the harder rock.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
I honestly chuckle, whenever someone gets their panties/boxers in a twist over the use of "Japanese cartoons/comics". Heck, I don't even care if someone tosses out the word "manga comics" because I still understand what that person is talking about.

While "manga/anime" have really dug themselves into everyday lexicon, not everyone understands what those words describe. So, I'm perfectly okay with someone using any of the aforementioned phrases instead.

Now, when someone shortens "Japanese" to "J*p" (i.e. J*ptoons, J*p comics), then we have a problem.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
There are only two types of government: perfect libertarian and totalitarian. Everyone in government who isn't a perfect libertarian is a Stalin, a Mao, and a Hitler combined

Please tell me you're joking. I mean, I think you are...but I can't help but worry that maybe you're being serious.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Steroid wrote:
There are only two types of government: perfect libertarian and totalitarian. Everyone in government who isn't a perfect libertarian is a Stalin, a Mao, and a Hitler combined

Please tell me you're joking. I mean, I think you are...but I can't help but worry that maybe you're being serious.

Whether he is or not, I think you're better off doing what the rest of us do and ignore him. Stuff like this is pretty much the only thing he posts. I gave up trying to figure out if he's a troll or not and now I just don't care.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
louieatrest wrote:
the meaning of most words are dynamic and are implied within the context spoken.

...and somebody just wins the thread.

In many languages, English included, and from what I hear from Area 11 particularly Japanese, contexts provide keys to the meaning.

I find both the "it's anime, not animation" and the "manga just means comics in Japanese" crowd to be extremely obnoxious. Neither of them are smarter than the other but both of them are elitist idiots ignoring the obvious contexts of the conversation.

OT:

hentai4me wrote:
Don't you vote for parties? How can different candidates from the same party have such broadly different policies to make it worthwhile differentiating between them?

In the USA, which doesn't have a parliamentary system by the way, political parties are not fully worked into the framework so to speak. A Democrat extending his hand to a Republican when he chooses a Vice President, writes a Bill, or form an alliance isn't breaking any official rules but unwritten ones based on past tradition. Also, when we vote, we do not vote for parties, not technically anyway (though the partisan atmosphere of recent US politics tend to make people party loyalists, a.k.a. and I do not apologize for this comment, f-cking idiots), but rather individuals for offices. I presume in the UK with its parliamentary system things works differently.

Curiously enough, the recent and very much still current dramatics of the Primaries are not official elections. They are party affairs mostly that acquire a national prominence over time thanks to...but I digress.

One must remember that the earliest US statesmen were extremely distrustful of political parties...most notably George Washington. Amusingly enough, that didn't stop him from being one of the first victims of the it.

Currently, there are two big parties in the USA, and they are the catch-alls with conflicting alliances. And there are a lot of tensions, with many people very much displeased with the current Two-Party status quo. Barack Obama is riding the wave on the idea of change and anti-partisanship (note the hatred of rabid Democrats and Party Machinery for him, or his own message that he'll extend the "other side" a hand) and so are McCain and Paul.

While for example the Tories in the UK adhere (in name) to one ideology, or the Lib-Dems, though sadly not New Labour anymore, since nobody knows what the hell they're supposed to be, and there's a modicum of unity of viewpoint within the parties themselves, American parties are not necessarily ideological ones. Most are, in fact, far from it. Big parties are broad alliances, while minor ones range from ideological parties, single-issue parties, and just plain protest parties that rose out of the extreme discontent in certain periods of American history.

It's not surprising that in a country of 300 million, with a mind-boggling variety of interests, cultural traits, economic conditions, and the quirky things of life, two catch-all parties do not please everyone, or most anyone for that matter. Instead, we focus on the individual and what he or she has to offer.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:

OT:

hentai4me wrote:

In the USA, which doesn't have a parliamentary system by the way, political parties are not fully worked into the framework so to speak. A Democrat extending his hand to a Republican when he chooses a Vice President, writes a Bill, or form an alliance isn't breaking any official rules but unwritten ones based on past tradition. Also, when we vote, we do not vote for parties, not technically anyway (though the partisan atmosphere of recent US politics tend to make people party loyalists, a.k.a. and I do not apologize for this comment, f-cking idiots), but rather individuals for offices. I presume in the UK with its parliamentary system things works differently.

Curiously enough, the recent and very much still current dramatics of the Primaries are not official elections. They are party affairs mostly that acquire a national prominence over time thanks to...but I digress.

One must remember that the earliest US statesmen were extremely distrustful of political parties...most notably George Washington. Amusingly enough, that didn't stop him from being one of the first victims of the it.

Currently, there are two big parties in the USA, and they are the catch-alls with conflicting alliances. And there are a lot of tensions, with many people very much displeased with the current Two-Party status quo. Barack Obama is riding the wave on the idea of change and anti-partisanship (note the hatred of rabid Democrats and Party Machinery for him, or his own message that he'll extend the "other side" a hand) and so are McCain and Paul.

While for example the Tories in the UK adhere (in name) to one ideology, or the Lib-Dems, though sadly not New Labour anymore, since nobody knows what the hell they're supposed to be, and there's a modicum of unity of viewpoint within the parties themselves, American parties are not necessarily ideological ones. Most are, in fact, far from it. Big parties are broad alliances, while minor ones range from ideological parties, single-issue parties, and just plain protest parties that rose out of the extreme discontent in certain periods of American history.

It's not surprising that in a country of 300 million, with a mind-boggling variety of interests, cultural traits, economic conditions, and the quirky things of life, two catch-all parties do not please everyone, or most anyone for that matter. Instead, we focus on the individual and what he or she has to offer.

But how can the individual you vote for actually implement what they promise?

How does, say Obama, make his policies for change come into effect if he is elected?

Basically when they make these promises of policy can they actually guarantee (or at least give a good grounding for assurance) that they can implement it?

Also, I read that New Hampshire has a large ≈43%? independent population...does that mean that the non-independents are registered for a single party and can only vote for that parties candidates? Why are independants allowed to vote for the candidates of other parties? Is this whole Democrat/Republican/Independant/Other imposed by the people rather than by law?

The UK parliamentary system gives each party a core set of ideals and the PM can reasonably expect that policies that fit into that ideal and whatever changes the party may be making will get the support of his party and, assuming main party majority (which it commonly is, though not always, a by product of voting for parties rather than individuals) can get his policies passed...then the Lords and the Queen get their go.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

The UK works; broadly; along the lines of the public voting for a party based on its policies, history and how much they believe they can implement them. The party then decides who its leader will be among itself and that party leader becomes PM. (you've got the house of lords and parliament as well)
So far no one can "vote" for anyone into the House of Lards. Up until recent months one could buy a seat in the upper house simply by "donating" a bit of your money, like a million, or ten Million, to some dodgy MP's election contribution fund, who could later hand out the peerage, or be the great(x7) grand child of some person that did a favour to some king, or queen in the past and was rewarded with a Royal Appointment and given a knighthood, or summat. and then given the privilege of passing that down to their sons, or daughters. But a democratically elected upper house? Not yet Baldrick.

Oh that question! I can't wait to count how many will be licensing yaoi, yuri, moe. and loli com titles and not remembering that it has to be sold to the general public. If I was running an anime company I would probably do the same, because lets face it, sex sells, but put it in a shadow company that didn't taint the good name of my primary company that only licensed good decent, not sexually explicit, or exploitive titles, (but with the evidence of recent product released from Japan I'm propably out of business already,) dubbed with professional voice actors who will have to pass auditions for the character including using foreign actors for characters that are meant to be foreign in the original concept. I would finally do what no anime company on either side of the duck pond has done yet, and that is advertise my product in the general media away and outside of the usual niche fan base communications, who I will be also targeting as well. But you can't catch fish in the ocean if you only keep putting your hook in the pond next to the club house in your back garden. Wink
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Anime/Cartoons: If there's anything that is usually quicker to have the flames spew forth than the tried and true "Sub v. Dub Debate", then it's the "Anime != Cartoon/Manga != Comic" nonsense.

Anime Trailers: Can be a good idea to merely get an idea of what's out there and maybe to put in a rental queue, but I think there's been only a handful of anime I purchased based solely on a trailer. 9 times out of 10, I'd check a trailer and then go into "more research is needed" mode.

J-Pop: I listen to it a little bit, usually by renting videos of Music Station, just to see what's flash in the pan popular at a specific moment. I've got a handful of imported albums and probably a few more I'd listen to, but just as with the American music scene, I'm fairly ambivolent.

Flake: LOL - "pro-anime candidate". I guess some people are looking for their own Rozen Aso.

hentai4me wrote:

Samurai-with-glasses wrote some good stuff, but I have some more stuff to illustrate the situation.

What's going on is primary and caucus voting right now. When general elections come up, a lot of people will vote along party lines that best suit them (or not vote at all, which is part of why we have a "two-party system"). Candidates campaign to be elected "leader" of the party from its bases, rather than how it is in a parliamentary system. When candidates run for office, there is a general idealology they abide by to get votes from its members, which is how party platforms are generally assessed, but different candidates usually have different ideas about how far or how likely their specific policies are to be carried out.

[soapbox]As far as Ron Paul being racist, I can't 100% say I'm convinced. At least, not yet.

Crazy Libertarian? Yeah, we get that a lot. Even as one of those "crazy libertarian" folks, I'm not sure I'd vote for Paul. I think tying the monetary system to a standard, may be more detrimental to capital in the long run than remaining as floating point currency. And, unfortunately for Paul, economics is one of those things I'll immediately vote against a candidate, no matter what other policies he may advocate that I like. Some of his foreign policy is, even I think, a little extreme such as puling out of NATO or the UN (though reducing roles and responsibilities I can support).

But, ironically, I don't think these are the ideas that really hurt him with the party base. I think it's because he doesn't pander to hijackers. I think its because he is the most like Goldwater and Reagan. I think the party has taken a major left-step in the past 8 years and Paul is, essentially, what the party used to be and not what it curently is. [/soapbox]

EDIT:
hentai4me wrote:
But how can the individual you vote for actually implement what they promise?

How does, say Obama, make his policies for change come into effect if he is elected?

Basically when they make these promises of policy can they actually guarantee (or at least give a good grounding for assurance) that they can implement it?

It's the chance we run. Sometimes candidates make promises and the situation turns to where they can't keep them; George H.W. Bush ran into that when he promised in 1988 that he'd not implement any new taxes and continue economic policies of his predacessor; however, after the Gulf War of 1991 and the US heading into recession, he had to sign tax increase legislation from Congress. Some of it's social, too. Jimmy Carter promised that a Washington Outsider could restore faith in Government after the Nixon and Ford Administrations when his own Administration semmed to falter and fail when hit with energy and diplomatic crises.

How does a candidate get his promises pushed through? By working with people interested on board and supporting those through the legislature. That's probably the biggest way. Some people will adhere to that as the leading candidates are often seen as the "CEO of the party" (though, parties have their own internal leaders who handle the operations), so there is a culture to remain loyal to them. Presidents also have some fairly broad executive powers, which, so long as they're not overturned by the Supreme Court, they can bypass legislation.

hentai4me wrote:
Also, I read that New Hampshire has a large ≈43%? independent population...does that mean that the non-independents are registered for a single party and can only vote for that parties candidates? Why are independants allowed to vote for the candidates of other parties? Is this whole Democrat/Republican/Independant/Other imposed by the people rather than by law?

Each State is different; my State (Georgia) allows cross-over voting no matter what someone is registered. New Hampshire may require registered affiliates to vote only in their party's primary, hence a larger number of people registered "independent".

Why vote in the other party's primary? There's the casting a "vote against" option. I could cross-over and vote in say a Democratic primary because I really do not want one candidate to win that primary and hopefully will not be on a national ticket. I think you'd have to be fairly ambivolent towards the candidates your own party puts forward to do it, since you waive privlidges to vote in your own primary, but if you dislike one candidate enough, it can be a proper motivator.

Last edited by SalarymanJoe on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

So far no one can "vote" for anyone into the House of Lards. Up until recent months one could buy a seat in the upper house simply by "donating" a bit of your money, like a million, or ten Million, to some dodgy MP's election contribution fund, who could later hand out the peerage, or be the great(x7) grand child of some person that did a favour to some king, or queen in the past and was rewarded with a Royal Appointment and given a knighthood, or summat. and then given the privilege of passing that down to their sons, or daughters. But a democratically elected upper house? Not yet Baldrick.

I didn't say we could vote for the House of Lords...just that it was there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10