• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Uploads Entire Black Blood Brothers Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
So $24 for the brand new series. Not bad. I am sure someone will come up with a reason to not buy it though.

Best reason I can think of is that I wasn't interested enough in this particular series to download any of the episodes when they were being fansubbed, so I'm not inclined to pay for them either.
That's pretty much my stance on BBB as well; all the fan reviews I've read say something like "starts too many subplots and feels incomplete in 12 episodes," so it's never graced my HDD.
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I've seen fansubs that look like they were clearly done as close to the original Japanese script as possible, and they read terribly. So no. They shouldn't.
So? I've seen (official) DVD subtitles that do the same thing. Just as you can't paint all DVD subtitles with that same brush, you can't classify all fansub groups based on a few examples. You're right, some groups are like that, but the trick would be finding the right group for the right show, if any kind of "legitimize fansubbing to release pay-for-download subbed episodes" plan went through. Which it probably won't for reasons of pride. However, I don't think you'd have to pay any fansubbers to do it. I could be wrong, but I believe most would welcome the opportunity to continue doing what they do without being C&Ded, sued, or considered the scourge of the industry with suicide damage of 110 points.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
As far as the Canada issue goes, it may be prohibitive from the Japanese side as well. Since Canada's laws may seems pro-pirate in the eyes of the Japanese, it may be the main reason they don't want to put a legal download in that country.

Xanas wrote:
As far as the rebate idea goes, one would have to use some kind of verification for the download purchase that would again be used to get the rebate after the real purchase is validated.

I still don't know if I follow this idea. It still seems like it would be easy as hell to take advantage of. The only way it would be secure would be if you were given a number that would only work once. By doing this though you would basically be limiting purchases to the FUNi store only. Which would mean any discount would be off MSRP. Which would mean(4x$2 episodes, but I doubt they would give an $8 rebate, at most $5 maybe but I digress) an $8 rebate. This would basically put the DVD at the exact same price that you can get them at most retail stores, if not more, plus shipping.

I know what your saying, the rebate would be good at retail stores, so you can get an even better deal, right? Well the problem with that is, in order to be secure, it would require all retail outlets to be intergrated with FUNi servers allowing each of there P.O.S. systems(online and B&M) to be intergrated to the unique number rebate program. This would be horribly expensive to implement, and would require massive cooperation from the retail side.

This is why I am sort of scratching my head as to whether this is only a good idea on paper, but would never work or happen. And the reason why I asked for examples(doesn't have to be DVDs).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lijakaca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a great idea, and couldn't the people who want DVDs burn the files onto one themselves? I wonder if it could be done the way Itunes does it, 6 burns or whatever.

I'm in Canada, so I'm glad I don't care about this series, but I think the gov might be changing our laws soon anyway because such a huge stink was made over them by some US lobby group.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, couldn't they include the DVD "key" the same as a CD key for a game is included in the box? This key would be on a postage paid slip where you would need to write down the "key" associated with your online purchase. When received, you would be sent the money the same way you are when you send in a mail in rebate on computer hardware, the only extra step is writing down the online key on the slip before sending it in.

Or if they didn't want to deal in money, they could give you a rebate that could be used for future online purchases from the funimation store or for online-only material.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

DragonsRevenge wrote:
I've seen fansubs that look like they were clearly done as close to the original Japanese script as possible, and they read terribly. So no. They shouldn't.
So? I've seen (official) DVD subtitles that do the same thing. Just as you can't paint all DVD subtitles with that same brush, you can't classify all fansub groups based on a few examples. You're right, some groups are like that, but the trick would be finding the right group for the right show, if any kind of "legitimize fansubbing to release pay-for-download subbed episodes" plan went through. Which it probably won't for reasons of pride. However, I don't think you'd have to pay any fansubbers to do it. I could be wrong, but I believe most would welcome the opportunity to continue doing what they do without being C&Ded, sued, or considered the scourge of the industry with suicide damage of 110 points.

I didn't say all of them do. I just meant exactly what I wrote. If a company stuck to the japanese script verbatim, as *some* fansubbers try to do, it would read very awkwardly. And the official subs that I've seen that try to mirror the Japanese script Americanize it enough for the dialogue to flow and make sense.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
Oh, here I was, ready to jump to my wallet and pull out my bank card and here I see the worst words ever "in american ips only".

Yeah? Well, screw you, Funimation.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what size each episode is? Also, what encoding is used for the video/audio, and what resolution is it?

Basically, is it good enough quality to pay for?

(Not that I'd have a chance to see as it's for the US only (as usual))

EDIT: Yeah and someone's already taken the name melonpan Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3