• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All Nippon Air Line Manga Offered with Two Covers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
I like BL and all, but this is kind of ridiculous. o.o;
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Seems that the person who named this title used to work for Kitty Media.... Razz

Just because we put out a book called "Dog Style". (it was the Japanese title - just like this one)
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Hah, that's quite a cool PR stunt (would ANAL have gotten on to ANN if it didn't have a provoctive title?)! In fact, I think I'm actually going to pre-order ANAL right now ^__^
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
Rawler wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
So what next? A Train Company named SLUT?

Oh, wait: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLUT

"bye honey, i have to go ride the SLUT to work"

Even worse, I heard there was a train company that was affectionately nicknamed "The Sex Train" due to their reporting marks of SECX.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
Ingenius.
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
OK, I'm not a BL fan obviously, but I read the little short comic on the back of the cover, and two things: 1. Yes, this ought to prove once and for all that we at Digital Manga have absolutely no shame (as if me wearing a dress and singing a show tune at Yaoi Con wasn't enough -- oh, and the phallic shaved ice!), and 2) I do believe this crosses the line between merely blatant and hilarious. The bad, BAD jokes (at least on the back cover) start being funny through sheer quantity.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
I always find Asian acronyms hilarious. When I lived in Korea, there was a night academy called the "Pre-Medical School" academy. But that's not what they put on the sign. No, the sign was blue with 4-foot high letters simply reading PMS.

And, someone who brought up JAL, maybe that's because JA is another prominent company in Japan.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
Jeez, where you all been?
My teen's been dying for this one since I first saw it listed among DMP's licenses. (the subtitle is something like "Pleasure at 3000 feet" or whatever height planes fly at. 10,000? Don't fly.)
So like last summer? Last Fall? I can't remember.

Is it really any different than Gakuen Heaven? "Bell Liberty University" just rolls off the tongue so why don't we just shorten it to the initials?

Like they don't do this in other manga.

Or real life. My god, I swear groups pick their name to fit their initials these days. Some of them are so fricken strange.

Or the way so many guys name a certain part of their anatomy. "Little XXX says hi! He wants a kiss!" You're so funny. Never heard that line from 20 other guys.

Haven't seen it in BL, though. Maybe the women writing it know how stupid it sounds.

As for the SLUT Train, there's always an anime called Midnight Sleazy Train. (Yeah, hentai)
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
My god, people. I think you're glossing over the point that the covers with the acronym "ANAL" will NOT be sold in stores. The only way to get them is though their booths at cons or mail request. So chill about it.

You prolly are pretty naive about sexual double entendres in Japanese manga in general. Heck, even a relatively safe shounen like Gintama is a sexual double entendre since it can be read as "silver balls (testicles)".

Seriously, it's all in humor. Plus, this is a nice alternative for some buyers who want the cover closest to the Japanese equivalent.

And as for CCSYueh said, there's plenty of hentai with blatant sexual titles like Princess 69 and the sort.

I'm pretty sure if the title in question was an eechi manga like Oretama (My Balls) or No Bra, people wouldn't made much of a fuss over it.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
Oh gawd. A potential yaoi mile-high club story. Ugh. Laughing
DMP_admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't know Twage. We have shame, but we are always up for a good laugh. Anime hyper

Regardless, you have to admit that a yaoi manga called ANAL is pretty funny. And the real cover is very tame. People have to mail in and get it the variant cover (of which there are very limited quantites).

The book is actually rated 16+ so there are no actual depictions of explicit sex in it. Rather is a really funny series of short stories that don't take themselves seriously about the wonderful world of double entendres.
miyu chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote

I got my bookcover today! I think the cover design is very fun and absolutely hilarious, I will proudly display it. I like that they used a mat finish so it isn't so shinny, high gloss is overrated. I haven't gotten my book yet, but based on the back cover comic, I pretty sure it is nothing less than pure yaoi crack; can't wait!!!
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I always find Asian acronyms hilarious. When I lived in Korea, there was a night academy called the "Pre-Medical School" academy. But that's not what they put on the sign. No, the sign was blue with 4-foot high letters simply reading PMS.

Wow, my Korean ex from when I lived in Seoul went to that school. When I first saw her looking at a Web site labeled "PMS" I did have to stifle a laugh. Small world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3