• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: PiQ Entertainment Magazine Hits Newsstands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
That's fine, we can take our disagreement to PMs.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

In other words I'm speaking from a position of knowledge not speculation and I resent this magazine for the way it is written. It's like the writers have nothing but distain for Otaku and their sense of humor within the magazine is tasteless to say the least.

Kabuto, I agree with you. Rereading the issue, it's really few bits in it that aren't crass or kind of offensive. I went to their website, and there was a blog entry that said "YOU WANTED MORE JAPANESE CONTENT? YOU GOT IT!" and had a youtube video of bad karaoke. To me, they're sending a message that says: "We're not catering to the anime community. So stop asking."
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Dramatis Personae wrote:
That's fine, we can take our disagreement to PMs.

You can disagree all you want, some people were just taking the disagreements a bit overboard. Simply recommending people cool down a bit without naming specific names.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romeo Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Quote:

In other words I'm speaking from a position of knowledge not speculation and I resent this magazine for the way it is written. It's like the writers have nothing but distain for Otaku and their sense of humor within the magazine is tasteless to say the least.

Kabuto, I agree with you. Rereading the issue, it's really few bits in it that aren't crass or kind of offensive. I went to their website, and there was a blog entry that said "YOU WANTED MORE JAPANESE CONTENT? YOU GOT IT!" and had a youtube video of bad karaoke. To me, they're sending a message that says: "We're not catering to the anime community. So stop asking."

You saw that video and you were offended by what PIQ said? Forest. Trees. Hello?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Kabuto Tokugawa wrote:
Shadowrun20XX,

I'm am very sorry if I mislead you into thinking that PiQ is a part of ADV.
PiQ is an entirely separate magazine that is not owned by ADV (as far as I have been told by PiQ).
Therefore money spent on PiQ will not go to ADV.
If you want to help support the anime industry by buying an anime magazine that is directly supported by an anime distribution house then I think that only OtakuUSA is left.
I may be wrong but I think that's Funimation's magazine. So money spent on OtakuUSA will most likely go to Funimation and thus support the anime industry.
In my humble opinion, PiQ is a waste of an Otaku's money for the simple fact that they are trying to lead Otaku into other genres than anime.
I cannot speak for the rest of the Otaku out there, but for me, that was a turn off.
The anime industry is in enough trouble as it is without a third party trying to get Otaku to spend their cash on non-anime goods.
Buying American comics and American Sci-Fi products is all well and nice but it will do nothing to save the anime industry in North America.
Protoculture Addicts, Anime-Insider, Shonen Jump, and OtakuUSA (which comes with a free DVD BTW) all support the anime industry in one way or another. In my opinion, PiQ does not.
But don't take my word for it, judge for yourself.

KT

I went and bought a copy of PIQ from Borders Books.Newtype,it aint.It's a multi interest mag like anything else.Kind of like PLAY(Old Gamefan),like one of the letters spoke of.All I do is Anime and Videogames,so this mag caters to me,but when I want Anime I want it straight up. Not here and there.That's why I loved Newtype.PIQ could have been better,I also understand it's a intro issue after all.Unfortunately it has a lot of things we have already covered here in the ANN forums.It's got a few ANN and Bandai name drops too.Very Happy I would pick up an OTAKUusa but I'll wait for a while.I miss NewtypeUSA already.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm...it seems like PIQ is not the type of company I want to cater too. I will wait and see what happens before making any judgements.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:

I dunno. I get the impression that it was meant to be a joke and/or sarcastic. I've seen similar instances of that type of humor in other publications like EGM and GamePro. It's not that unusual.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
ANBUx3 wrote:

I dunno. I get the impression that it was meant to be a joke and/or sarcastic. I've seen similar instances of that type of humor in other publications like EGM and GamePro. It's not that unusual.

But for a newly established publication whose demographic consist of fans are already unsure of them would you consider that wise? I mean sure you can say "it's a joke LOL", but NEWTYPE was a special interest magazine not a general one. It catered to a specific type of customer, and comic book fans already have Wizard. They do not need PIQ, but PIQ needs us to an extent. I guess what I am saying is this, you don't shit where you eat. Basically, PIQ can continue thier UScentric approach saracstic tone or they can bend.
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But for a newly established publication whose demographic consist of fans are already unsure of them would you consider that wise? I mean sure you can say "it's a joke LOL", but NEWTYPE was a special interest magazine not a general one. It catered to a specific type of customer, and comic book fans already have Wizard. They do not need PIQ, but PIQ needs us to an extent. I guess what I am saying is this, you don't shit where you eat. Basically, PIQ can continue thier UScentric approach saracstic tone or they can bend.

My feelings exactly. Smile

Now that I've cooled down a bit, I can honoestly say;

I hope this magazine will at least try to keep its former subscribers by raising their standards in the near future and replace comments like "I only shot two or three people on the way to work today" with comments more appropriate. Perhaps something like "In memory of Kenichiro Suzuhara" or "In memory of Paul Anderson." That would show a far more professional level of journalism IMHO.

As Chris Butcherpointed out, this magazine in its present form needs to be vastly improved.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I got the first issue of PiQ with my latest TRSI issue. I'm not quite sure what to make of that PiG article, but otherwise I liked it even though it didn't have as much anime (or video game) coverage as I would have liked. But I can always use more reading material to kill time at work and it does a good job at that. Unfortunately, I have zero interest in Appleseed: Ex Machina becasue I'm not a fan of CG but the "Is Anime Dead?" article was interesting and its nice to read a bit about what's going on in the world of American comics. I'm not into that myself for various reasons, but it makes for an interesting read. I have four other video game magazines and three other anime magazines and go much more in depth with that material, so being a little lightweight there isn't a big deal.

I'll probably subscribe to it.

Oh, and I was amused by the little "I only shot two or three people on the way to work" comment.
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and I was amused by the little "I only shot two or three people on the way to work" comment.

I'm not going to say you meant that as flame bait, but considering everything that has been said in this thread, it sure could be misconstrued that way.

Keonyn said for us to simmer down, I know I was in need of it, so I ask you, was that comment really necessary after a mod had asked us all to cool off?

I'm not implying you shouldn't feel that way, you have every right too. It's just a bit odd that you would post that after reading through the thread.

Fortunately for me I have a healthy respect for the Wrath of MOD, so I'll not comment any further. Very Happy
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Kabuto Tokugawa wrote:
Quote:

I'm not going to say you meant that as flame bait, but considering everything that has been said in this thread, it sure could be misconstrued that way.

I'm not sure how you interpreted my comment that way. I thought it was funny. Probably because I wasn't expecting anything remotely like that when looking at the contact information. I was going to mention it even if no one else had talked about it beforehand but it had absolutely nothing to do with people in this thread and I'm still not sure how you construed it that way.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I got the first issue of PiQ with my latest TRSI issue. I'm not quite sure what to make of that PiG article, but otherwise I liked it even though it didn't have as much anime (or video game) coverage as I would have liked. But I can always use more reading material to kill time at work and it does a good job at that. Unfortunately, I have zero interest in Appleseed: Ex Machina becasue I'm not a fan of CG but the "Is Anime Dead?" article was interesting and its nice to read a bit about what's going on in the world of American comics. I'm not into that myself for various reasons, but it makes for an interesting read. I have four other video game magazines and three other anime magazines and go much more in depth with that material, so being a little lightweight there isn't a big deal.

I'll probably subscribe to it.

That was a very interesting article about "Is Anime Dead?" and there were othesrs in there too such as the one about Legend...

My only question is did anyone else that was a Newtype USA subscriber get the promised two free issues of the first issue out or am I misunderstanding the two for one they seemed to be talking about?

Also found it funny on a slight side note that though it would have been after the switch even if released on time, Kanon volume two had a promo for Newtype USA on it... anyway what does anyone know about the two magazines we are suppose to get for each copy of the remaining Newtype USA subscription we might have left?
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure how you interpreted my comment that way. I thought it was funny. Probably because I wasn't expecting anything remotely like that when looking at the contact information. I was going to mention it even if no one else had talked about it beforehand but it had absolutely nothing to do with people in this thread and I'm still not sure how you construed it that way.

My apologies if you thought that I was accusing you of trying to bait me.

I was not sure what you meant, and I didn't want to assume anything until you posted a reply. Now you have clarified what you meant.

Thank you very much HitokiriShadow, I appreciate your courtesy in letting me know. Smile
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Ryokosha wrote:
My only question is did anyone else that was a Newtype USA subscriber get the promised two free issues of the first issue out or am I misunderstanding the two for one they seemed to be talking about?

Also found it funny on a slight side note that though it would have been after the switch even if released on time, Kanon volume two had a promo for Newtype USA on it... anyway what does anyone know about the two magazines we are suppose to get for each copy of the remaining Newtype USA subscription we might have left?

The 2 for 1 deal means that if you still had 7 issues of NTUSA left in your subscription, you would receive 14 issues of PiQ, and so on. Since I had just renewed in Dec, I'll be getting almost 2 years of PiQ. Smile

I know what you mean about the NTUSA ads in the new releases. Thing is, the DVD's are put together sometimes months before their release dates. I wouldn't be surprised if Kanon 3 had the ad also. Volume 4 probably won't,though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3