• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-07

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
To me, there is no such thing as drawing in anime style. Those professional animators and illustrators draw started their career drawing and observing mundane real life human beings, objects, and surrounding environments. Famous example would be Hayao Miyazaki at a square drawing and observing women to get inspiration for Kiki's Delivery Service.

Creativity cannot be taught because everyone has his or her own ideas and visions. Beginning level artist should understand that decent drawing skills are means to communicate one's creative idea at visual level to other people without writing a thousand words explaining your idea. Good draftsmanship, regardless of style, will happen by years of practice. Just because a person bought a "how to draw anime" book, it doesn't mean he or she will draw like a veteran artist within a week.

Speaking of those "how to" books, I sometimes question authors' credentials. I often wonder why they waste their energy and stake reputation on drawing foreign cartooning style which they are not FAMILIAR with. I see this is a marketing scheme to take advantage of current anime/manga fad among kids, which is total waste of money for both publishers and consumers.

10 years from now, I'm confident that Nina will have awesome and unique style due to accumulated experience of the artist. Eventually someone will try to emulate her. For all you serious beginning artist out there, just draw something everyday.
coconutpenguin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
While it is true that most of these books are a load of absolute rubbish, I will confess that one great book entitled "Manga Mania: How to Draw Japanese Comics" was an enormously great help to me in my early early days of drawing I even still now, years later, go back to it for help.

don't trash ALL "how to" books. Some can be very helpfull. Not the one Nina is holding, though.

I think I read that particular book and liked it quite a bit.
Very Happy

Anyway, Christopher Hart's books just fail, and I'm glad they translate normal Japanese How-to-Draw books (the decent ones, anyway...)
skyesage

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
Christopher Hart's books are so awesome.

...Anyways...I think that this is a very true comic, though I will confess to buying a pretty awful one...

The Monster Book of Manga is hilarious though...I remember I once found a "How to Draw Yaoi" and it was just lame...because...it just doesn't work...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing a comparison of peoples ability to naturaly draw a face, It compared people in Japan with people in London, England. It was intreguing that mose Japanese could draw a rather decent drawing with similarities that was well within the spectrum of a manga, where as those in London were more generic with no similarities between them. One reason that was put forth was that, because the Japanese form of writing is more like drawing pictures, drawing becomes a second nature to them. There wasn't any scientific study to prove this, but the logic of it seems plausible, and the results of this adhoc comparison seems to bolster it as well.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
I happen to have Christopher Hart's "Human anatomy made amazingly easy" book. It's a good book that can ease people into anatomy without being overwhelming. I think he was forced to make that awful "how to draw anime" book which he was not totally familiar with. Granted that he's a good artist, but I think he's not qualified to publish such book because his knowledge on anime/manga style and design are cursory rather than thorough.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
Holy frickin' crap, my daily life struggles come to haunt me in comic form! Laughing

I work in a crafts store. We sell "manga" supplies now. I use the term loosely, becuase I mean this (first of a flippin' series!) and this.

I do agree Mr. Hart likely got forced into these books, since we carry some more generic cartooning books by him that aren't too bad. The manga ones, though... *shudder* it actually says on the first page 'manga is cartoons with big eyes and pointy chins.' Seriously.

I have a couple old how-to books from this line... they seemed like pretty decent books back when I got 'em. Defintely better than anything we sell where I work...
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Christopher Hart is somewhere crying now. This comic is all him dude.

So Agreed.

I have some fantastic Christopher Hart books for American Comics, but he MUST have been forced to create the manga ones, because... my eyes... they burn...
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
I lol SO hard that the book was "written" by Doug Smith. x3.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
I made the mistake of getting one or two of those books when I was a young anime fan myself, so this comic was teh lulz for me.

Incidentally, I still think the best way to learn to draw anime/manga to is to learn to draw real faces/anatomy. Most of the poor kids buying these books don't already know how to draw real people and don't know that they should know how. Once you learn real faces/figures even partway, you simply buy an actual anime artbook (Google "imported artbooks" or something) for a series you like, and try to recreate what you see.

Skip the silly How To books, they don't help at all; they only reinforce stereotypes about what anime "has" to be.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
Good god, I just can't seem to make up an innocuous name can I?? I really need to Google fake names before I put them in the comic.. ^^;; My apologies, I had no idea there was an anime artist named Doug Smith, but if that makes the comic funnier for you, please continue to believe it was intentional!! ^^; I'm an idiot.

For those who haven't checked out a non-Japanese "how-to draw" book, check out these specimens.

There are several decent instructional books, both from Japanese and American artists... but for every good one, there are a LOT of bad ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I remember seeing a comparison of peoples ability to naturaly draw a face, It compared people in Japan with people in London, England. It was intreguing that mose Japanese could draw a rather decent drawing with similarities that was well within the spectrum of a manga, where as those in London were more generic with no similarities between them. One reason that was put forth was that, because the Japanese form of writing is more like drawing pictures, drawing becomes a second nature to them. There wasn't any scientific study to prove this, but the logic of it seems plausible, and the results of this adhoc comparison seems to bolster it as well.

You know, this reminded me of when I was little (I'm Japanese American) and I asked my grandma to draw me a picture, and she has no artistic skills, but still drew me a very recognizable manga-style face. I thought that was very strange.
Jadress wrote:

For those who haven't checked out a non-Japanese "how-to draw" book, check out these specimens.

I have the second one because someone got it for free at some book sale. I just stared at it in horror. I really should redonate that to the library book sale. Or maybe burn it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
I think the real titles should be called "How to Pad Out OnlineComics.net" or "How I Still Believe Aoi House Will Someday Become A Real TV Series."

Or "Hi, I'm the Artist for Alpha Luna. Have You Read It Yet? No? Well, Here's Some Sketches I Made During Lunch Period. Can I Have My Check Now?"

Update: Dammit! I just got another shipment of these books! Curse you Jim Hansen and John Burns!
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
I never considered the possibility that Christopher Hart was forced to make all those anime/manga books. I was under the impression that he just likes money. I mean, my god, the man has a million books out! I never understood that his books on American style comics are fairly decent in showing anatomy and such, but it's like for the manga books he drew everything with the wrong hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

My God, that second one looks like it came straight off of deviantART. >.<

Do people actually WANT to draw like that? I mean, does a kid (or an adult, for that matter) go and look at the cover of that book and say "Wow, that's the coolest art ever, just like what's in Naruto and Inuyasha and Fushigi Yuugi and -insert other manga that's popular with the kids here-!" and then actually buy it? o.o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
LOL! This comic flew over my head, until I read the comments.

I really like the last panel. The word bubble reminds me of Mortal Kombat's famous "Fatality" logo (it looks like blood).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6