• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Gakuen Alice, Reissues First Terra e

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
And both are sub only. Which means I'll be sticking with fansubs. All sub only DVD's offer is the episodes on a DVD, and I can do that myself for a LOT cheaper with fansubs and DVD+R's

If anime companies want me to purchase their DVD's, they have to offer me something fansubs don't, which is English Audio. Pretty much everything from RightStuf since To Heart (their last dub that I can recall) has been sub only. If Gakuen Alice was dubbed, I probably would have bought it. No chance now.

Wow, what you said sucks, Right Stuf is one of the coolest companies out there. Dubs suck and the delay the release time as well, AND they have to double or triple the price to pay of the English Voice Actors.

Gakuen Alice - $50, but I'll be able to find it for $30 if I look around, for a whole new 26 Episode series, that is awesome. if it was FUNimation or ADV, it would be dubbed, released slower and would be on 6-7 DVD's priced at $29.99 Retail, that's $180-$210. (and it would take up more shelf space...)

Yep, I've seen it on fansub as well, all of it, and if you have, you know this show rocks and for $30 it's definately worth buying it legally.

I'll have to email Right Stuf and ask them if it's going to be released fully uncut, as it seems they got it from Enoki and Enoki have a problem with cutting stuff up before selling it on (To Right Stuf) not-so-nice-people.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:

Wow, what you said sucks, Right Stuf is one of the coolest companies out there. Dubs suck and the delay the release time as well, AND they have to double or triple the price to pay of the English Voice Actors.

On the contrary. Even though dubbing costs more, since there are much more dub buyers than sub buyers, the larger sales allow them to price the DVD lower and still turn a profit. If anything, the dub side of the DVD subsidizes the sub side.

Serge wrote:

Gakuen Alice - $50, but I'll be able to find it for $30 if I look around, for a whole new 26 Episode series, that is awesome. if it was FUNimation or ADV, it would be dubbed, released slower and would be on 6-7 DVD's priced at $29.99 Retail, that's $180-$210. (and it would take up more shelf space...)

That's only because titles like Gakuen Alice are niche low license-fee titles, so Rightstuf won't sell much but still turn a profit. So they don't spend much neither.

That can't be done with typical license titles. They have to sell a lot more just to recoup the license fee, so they have to dub it. Gotta spend money to make money.

Serge wrote:

I'll have to email Right Stuf and ask them if it's going to be released fully uncut, as it seems they got it from Enoki and Enoki have a problem with cutting stuff up before selling it on (To Right Stuf) not-so-nice-people.

Enoki is just a middleman selling wares for their clients (anime studios). Once there's a deal, the buyer deals directly with the client - Enoki's job is done. Enoki doesn't keep any of the stuffs, cut or uncut.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
On the contrary. Even though dubbing costs more, since there are much more dub buyers than sub buyers, the larger sales allow them to price the DVD lower and still turn a profit. If anything, the dub side of the DVD subsidizes the sub side.

That may be so but there is a law of dimishing returns. Say a company made $5 per DVD sold, a dub costs them $1000 and they could expect 300 extra sales than they would without a dub - they just made $500. But what if there was a potential audience for the series of only a few people dub or no dub? The extra cost of the dub is enough to make the series sell at a loss therefore they don't dub it. The numbers may be a lot different in reality, but if you plot a graph of dubbing cost versus expected sales revenue for all anime, there have to be some that cross the line and RIghstuf presumably believe this is one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
Just so you all know, an English dub of Gakuen Alice does exist. It was produced by Animax Philippines and shown some time ago.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
Just so you all know, an English dub of Gakuen Alice does exist. It was produced by Animax Philippines and shown some time ago.

Some American companies are also planning on outsourcing the dubbing out East Asia to save on costs.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
GaryPotter wrote:

Some American companies are also planning on outsourcing the dubbing out East Asia to save on costs.

How in the hell can you outsource the dubbing? So what are we going to get? Engrish dubs instead of English dubs?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
You get the dub of Fantastic Children, which, though it may not be the very worst dub ever made, might have the distinction of being the worst dub of a truly excellent series ever made. Thank you, Singapore...
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
How in the hell can you outsource the dubbing? So what are we going to get? Engrish dubs instead of English dubs?

In all fairness, dubs produced using the Odex Malaysian actors (Chuck Powers, Robert Zimmerman, Alison Lestor and the rest) are actually pretty good. Not as good as Studiopolis or Funimation, but better than Blue Water Studios. I understand the companies reasoning in making this decision. With a title like Gakuen Alice, most people will just want the sub, but they don't really want to sell something that's sub-only. So the company says "Dubbing this will cost too much and the fans don't care anyway. Okay, so this dub already exists, I'll just bring it over and package it in. I'll get my English release and fans get the sub. Everyone wins." Rolling Eyes

I imagine this will only apply to smaller niche titles.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
I'm so sad Gakuen Alice isn't dubbed. Waaah! I don't have much titles from Right Stuf, but I watched a bit of The Third - The Girl with the Blue Eye earlier. I heard that the dub for that was very good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3