• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Confirms U.S. Release of Fate/Zero BD Boxes

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
What's really shameless is that US anime "journalists" are already begging for screeners.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
You do realize I worded that purposefully to point out I was not talking 20 copies specifically...jeez...
Probably, since the evidence made does not simply contradict "20 copies" precisely but also any number in the general range of and anything like "20 copies". If the countdown timer which went up several days after ordering opened started ticking down from 50, then the import batch would have been in the low three digit range.

Quote:
I also don't care if some people are willing to hemorrhage for one show, the response to this every time still shows that a very significant portion of fandom who'd like to buy is being screwed by only offering glorified imports ...

That's absurd: the way for people who are not in the import-price market to avoid "being screwed" is to wait two or three years for the broader market release, and buy it then. Just like if the batch import release had not taken place at all.

And if its a little bit later to support a model in which the very top of the market demand is fleeced for $100's per boxset ... great! The more they make off the import batch, the less revenue they have to get from the broader release to make a profit.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
And this isn't a glorified import. They haven't tried to make it seem as though it's anything above an import; they've stated multiple times that that's exactly what it is. Rolling Eyes

And yet it is because this glorified psuedo import cockblocks any of the R1s from paying good money to license this show for everyone who doesn't want to "import", unlike normal import releases where import buyers can still go import that crazy expensive Japanese priced release but those of us who don't want to can wait for a potential real US release.
angieness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait. I really love the series but I don't love it that much. Perhaps by the time I can get it at a more affordable price I will actually own a BR player and HD TV.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Zero's been good so far, but not $370-good. But hey it'll still probably sellout even without my purchase.
silencer226

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Pretty expensive, hardcore fans of the series will buy it no doubt, but I'm not much of a fan of Fate/Zero and find it just ok to be honest. Not to mention the release window is like smack dab in the middle of Madoka recuperation time lol.

I'll wait for a cheaper option to become available, if it ever does, if not my loss.

Last edited by silencer226 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
I also don't care if some people are willing to hemorrhage for one show, the response to this every time still shows that a very significant portion of fandom who'd like to buy is being screwed by only offering glorified imports ...

That's absurd: the way for people who are not in the import-price market to avoid "being screwed" is to wait two or three years for the broader market release, and buy it then. Just like if the batch import release had not taken place at all.

And if its a little bit later to support a model in which the very top of the market demand is fleeced for $100's per boxset ... great! The more they make off the import batch, the less revenue they have to get from the broader release to make a profit.

Excuse me, what "broader market release" two years later, I certainly haven't seen nor heard squat about any other Garden of Sinners release for example or any plans for one. You'd have a point if Aniplex USA showed ANY sign of having ANY intention of the import-style release first, regular release a year later model, which they have absolutely not done which would probably please just about everyone. With their current model you either buy the $500 import immediately day one or you can never buy it.

And then another issue is that they don't even make enough copies for you to buy a few months down the line unlike every other R1 company, including even NISA who has a more expensive sub-only model but at least provides options and enough copies whereas here a show will basically be artificially out of print to back up the absurd pricing model before it even comes out even if they could sell it slightly cheaper and sell 20x more copies and keep the title available for new fans to buy as they get old enough. It would suck if 90% of the good anime titles (within a reasonable number of years from release) were basically un-buyable for the next generation of anime fans just because they couldn't buy it day one at import pricing and Aniplex USA has shown no signs of refreshing their releases nor re-releasing cheaper versions later for new fans to buy.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
If the countdown timer which went up several days after ordering opened started...
Uh, except it didn't. The BD Box was on sale for almost 2 months before the counter popped up.

DangerMouse wrote:
And yet it is because this glorified psuedo import cockblocks any of the R1s from paying good money to license this show for everyone who doesn't want to "import", unlike normal import releases where import buyers can still go import that crazy expensive Japanese priced release but those of us who don't want to can wait for a potential real US release.
Rolling Eyes Except that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the product itself is glorified or a pseudo anything, which this is not. The actual product is still just an import, plain and simple. -__-

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Osaka wrote:
What's really shameless is that US anime "journalists" are already begging for screeners.

If you're referring to this then I think you don't know Mike Toole very well.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
And this isn't a glorified import. They haven't tried to make it seem as though it's anything above an import; they've stated multiple times that that's exactly what it is. Rolling Eyes

Here's the thing what's going to make aniplex more money, licensing it to America. or simply taking a bunch of the Japanese bluray and selling them to Americans?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Here's the thing what's going to make aniplex more money, licensing it to America. or simply taking a bunch of the Japanese bluray and selling them to Americans?

I'm not saying it won't make them any money just selling their already existing stock I'm saying it sucks and is short-sighted for the US anime market.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind spending almost $400 for anime as long as it's over a period of time and that anime's ep count is over 100 but I don't think I'd ever buy a 13 ep (BR ....) series for $400 (I think this is about 8x the limit of what I'd be willing to spend on a single collection).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
If people really cared about supporting the anime industry, they'd be more willing to buy these kinds of releases. The reason that the anime industry doesn't care about America is because they STILL don't buy up anime even at dirt cheap prices. If you offered someone something for 1/10th the price and they still don't buy it, I'm sure you'd also get fed up and not want to cater to them.

But if Americans start to buy this, it'll start to show Japan that even we can be a viable market, and they'd start making more anime aimed at us as well and not just Japan.

Of course, people here will just be like "WHAT MORE THAN 50 DOLLARS, NO WAY" and then go onto complain about all the moe and ecchi these days.
silencer226

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If people really cared about supporting the anime industry, they'd be more willing to buy these kinds of releases.

Yeah, but the thing is, one series is not worth a mortgage payment.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Oreimo, the Gurren Lagann movies, Blue Exorcist, Madoka Magica, Durarara!!, and Star Driver would all like to have a word with you.

Star Driver is actually being released by Bandai Entertainment, not Aniplex directly.

Quote:
Uh, except it didn't. The BD Box was on sale for almost 2 months before the counter popped up.

I know it was available for pre-order for 2 months, but didn't it pretty much sell out within like a week of actual release date?

I agree with pretty much everyone else, this price batshit insane. I guess it's only for the lucky few who can afford 2 sets of this. I haven't even seen the show and am not really interested in seeing it, but the douchebag collector in me wants this pos now Laughing .[/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22