• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Magical Index (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrederickIIofHohenstaufen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
idk guys... the flow seems pretty linear to me... dont get me wrong, im lovin Index so far, but is anyone esle sensing the one episode dedicated to story one to action trend... it has such abrupt changes... i hope that not all the episodes follow this trend, because it gets tired aroud episode 8
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I thought Ep. 1 was a middle ground. There was some story development, but the pace felt somewhat brisk, thanks to the inclusion of a few action-style moments.

The show is still in its introductory phase (reiterated a bit with the previews), so it's interesting that they've presented different episode styles each week. This almost feels like three attempts at hooking different types of viewers.

Ep. 1 = balanced introduction to the show's universe and style
Ep. 2 = lots of shounen-style action, minimal character work
Ep. 3 = heavy moe elements and lengthy exposition (well, some people like the feeling of depth. Supposedly, the Japanese responded enthusiastically to the moe/budget-saving strategy, so it's possibly more up their alley)

The online response seems to reflect this too. Some viewers were hooked by episode one, while it took episode two to draw others in. Ep. 3 didn't please as many people, but some nonetheless responded to the cuteness and universe depth (also reinforces the notion that this is more than a villain of the week story). Naturally, a number of people are still uninterested in the show, but that's to be expected with any series.

We'll have to wait and see how the series progresses from here, but I'm impressed with how they've executed these early episodes (Ep. 1 and 3 being the ones that left me intrigued enough to see more. Didn't care for Ep. 2, although it looked nice). I too hope that we'll see more balanced episodes like the first.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
Ep. 1 = balanced introduction to the show's universe and style
Ep. 2 = lots of shounen-style action, minimal character work
Ep. 3 = heavy moe elements and lengthy exposition (well, some people like the feeling of depth. Supposedly, the Japanese responded enthusiastically to the moe/budget-saving strategy, so it's possibly more up their alley)

That's how it looks so far. It's been handled pretty well up until now, but I really hope they don't do something like this:

Ep 4 - vs. Mage-of-the-week
Ep 5 - (in-between episode)
Ep 6 - vs. Mage-of-the-week
Ep 7, 8, 9 - (more in-between, maybe silly episodes)
Ep 10 - vs. Mage-of-the-week

This could easily become a very arc-ish or episodic series, and I hope they're kind enough to not do that to us.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4: Well, the animation just took a nosedive (I hope it's temporary), but damn, the storyline just one-upped itself.

spoiler[I expected a mindless fight the entire episode against the Katana girl with little or no real plot development, just like Episode 2. Instead, I got, incredibly, more information than even Episode 3, some surprisingly kind villains, and a really cool scene that showed the world a little better (Makoto and Kuroko scene). Overall, the story shifted in a direction I'd never expect, and to have the two just show up at their doorstep casually at the end of the episode, that was pretty cool.]

Looking forward to the next episode.
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
at least it cleared up (well mostly) why they have to get index through any means possible.
spoon89

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
After seeing episode 4, i have already come a conclusion that my favorite character in this series would be spoiler[Kanzaki Kaori, not because of her looks but her skill, love the incredibly long Katana ( Shichiten Shichitou) and how see customized her clothing in order not to burden her movement. Her Nanasen style which makes her opponents realize Yuisen is just plain genius :p] Btw, the opening song of Toaru Majutsu no Index titled Psi-Missing by Mami Kawada is now out on CD and is available on the net.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 5! Fairly slow at the start, but it REALLY progressed up very nicely! spoiler[Touma has discovered and figured out that the reason for going through that memory loss ritual was utterly full of bull; gaining a lot of knowledge does not lead to death. Touma then figured that it was the Church who placed a spell that invokes that one-year rule onto Index so Styil and Kaori have to abide by that. Using his right hand he was able to neutralize one part of that spell which ended up Index looking really freaky! Shocked]

And to think this one anime based on a light novel that J.C. Staff is seriously following up the tee unlike their past works. Did they realize how most of the beginning has a very slow start or did they really enjoy making it this type? Though I would account of I've Sound's background music that's really keeping my attention; I definitely want the OST for this series!
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5: Good progression, but I was just hoping, just hoping...

spoiler[Maybe Necessarius wasn't evil, and who they had to fight against was someone else. Well, that wrecks that theory, I guess. I wonder how Touma immediately concluded that the Church lied to Kanzaki about Index's condition. My immediate conclusion was that Kanzaki lied to him, and the whole sob sad thing was just an act, or at least maybe the memory erasure was for some other goal that she didn't tell him about and she still regrets this. I still wonder how the two mage sisters are going to play a role in the story. And I hope it doesn't become "mage-of-the-week-from-Necessarius", that wouldn't be cool.]
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did they realize how most of the beginning has a very slow start or did they really enjoy making it this type?

Supposedly, the problem with the novels is that once you remove the lengthy exposition, there isn't much left over. It's a bit like the Type-Moon works, where all the universe and philosophical details (that the fanbase loves; as with Index, some might find this overly verbose and pretentious, but it's popular) are provided in long dialogues. Once that's gone, you have a generic shounen-style action story.

This direction might be appropriate for J.C. Staff though. They don't have the cash flow of hotter studios like Gainax, KyoAni, or Sunrise (their best shows aren't all that marketable with otaku, so Shana and Tsukaima have been keeping them going), so it's a good way of saving money, while maintaining an extraordinary look.
furizaa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I felt that episode 5 had a really slow start. They spent the first 2/3rds of the episode discussing things I really didn't understand/care about, which I of course found very boring. It wasn't until about 17 or 18 minutes in, when spoiler[Touma learned that it was all a big lie] that the episode began to pick up, and it really picked up. I'm looking forward to next week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Episode 5: Good progression, but I was just hoping, just hoping...

spoiler[Maybe Necessarius wasn't evil, and who they had to fight against was someone else. Well, that wrecks that theory, I guess.]

spoiler[They are the church of "necessary evil"; they apparently believe that the end justifies the means but I somehow doubt Touma (or Stiyl or Kaori) will see it thata way.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 6, well, well! This actually pulled some intriguing punches (for better or worse though)! spoiler[We got some REALLY awesome effects battle when Touma is holding off Index's attack. And at that time he was able to lecture those two that there's another way of saving Index without erasing her memories. Finally those two decided to help Touma out and save Index.]

(and for the record, I think Touma just broke the 4th wall in the process) Laughing

The aftermath of that really through me off the loop. spoiler[Those feathers that were falling touched Touma's head which knocked him out cold. Supposedly those things were able to completely destroy some of his memory brain cells causing him to not remember Index at all. Talk about irony there! Oh wait, he was just joking around! *cue Index biting him*

But, WHAT?! Touma really did lost his memory and just pulled that stunt just to not make Index depressed. Talk about tragic irony there! Shocked]
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that thing with Touma in the hospital, very sad deal. I thought the ending of the episode/preview was very interesting. This show seems like it's going to change a good bit going forward. I'm very interested in how Touma in particular is going to develop over the course of the show.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
While I still like this series, in the wake of episode 6 I find myself agreeing with some earlier-posted comments about how this series is too prone to overly-lengthy exposition. Geez, that conversation in the early battle scene went on easily twice as long as it should have. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
furizaa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Saw episode 8, and I'm somehow finding it harder to keep up with this anime. I dunno if it's the lengthy, excessive explanations about the church and their magic, or if it's that spoiler[Index is appearing to have the sole role of "damsel in distress"], which I find very boring. I will continue to watch it however, because I do like the show and I see that it still has some potential to get a lot better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 32