• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse Studio Animates Short Based on Schulz's Peanuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I surprised that "Peanuts" is being made into an anime. It doesn't seem to be the type of thing that would be adapted to anime. Charlie Brown and the gang don't go around in giant robots battling evil,and I can't imagine Snoopy wandering around all over the place with a sword slashing everyone,except in his dreams.
The "Peanuts" gang seem to more on the sedate side of American animation and an unlikely property for anime. Nevertheless,it'll be interesting to see how the Japanese handle this.

Wouldn't this be like any other 4-koma-based anime out there? There've been a number of those. ^_^;
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I surprised that "Peanuts" is being made into an anime. It doesn't seem to be the type of thing that would be adapted to anime. Charlie Brown and the gang don't go around in giant robots battling evil,and I can't imagine Snoopy wandering around all over the place with a sword slashing everyone,except in his dreams.
The "Peanuts" gang seem to more on the sedate side of American animation and an unlikely property for anime. Nevertheless,it'll be interesting to see how the Japanese handle this.

Uh.....for being a supposed anime fan, you sure have some sterotypical ideas about anime.

Have you never heard of "Slice of Life?"
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
R.G. wrote:
What next? Garfield as a Maneki Neko (Beckoning Cat)?

Sorry, but I can attest that no one in Japan can make a decent lasagna.

Do they even eat lasagna in Japan? Just kidding, but I can't imagine Garfield being turned into a manga/anime.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
To Chagen46,

In response to your earlier post,I may not have heard of the anime you're talking about but there have been anime that have not been stereotypical. "Kaleido Star" is one of them. I'm just surprised that the Japanese are going to do a "Peanuts" anime,that's all.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
"Slice of life" is a genre, not an anime. A slice of life series is about ordinary people going about their ordinary lives, like Azumanga Daioh, which was also adapted out of 4-koma, the Japanese equivalent of the funny papers. Not to mention that much of the most popular anime of all time are comedies, such as Doraemon and, to a certain extent, One Piece.

On another note, I decided to look into Happiness Is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown on IMDb and saw that it has a 7.1 out of 10. This is equal to Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown and one point above than Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown, my two favorite Peanuts productions. So I think I'll pick up the DVD for that later on.

Polycell wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
And how are they gonna explain Charlie Brown kicking (and missing) the football?
It's a ball, he's trying to kick it and Lucy snatches it away. You don't exactly need to understand every niggling detail about the sport to get the joke.

That, and American football is actually quite popular in Japan. Anyone in Japan will know what's going on when Lucy's holding the football down with her finger and Charlie Brown running towards it to kick it.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Uh.....for being a supposed anime fan, you sure have some sterotypical ideas about anime.

Have you never heard of "Slice of Life?"[/quote]
Hahahaha! Laughing

Aside from Snoopy, I'm sure the Peanuts strips had animated specials had been popular favorites in Japan for years (I recall once watching a TV special that played a clip of a Japanese dubbed version of "Charlie Brown's All-Stars" back in the 80's).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3