• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Funimation: Heads Up: New Show A-Go-Go Starts Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Starks wrote:

...That sound you just heard was my head exploding with happiness. ILU FUNI.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
bci110 wrote:
Nebs wrote:
Clues abound on the Funimation website. If you don't want to go on a scavanger hunt to find them all, I gathered all the clues & my conclusions here:

http://nebs66.livejournal.com/843652.html

spoiler[Vandread, Soul Eater, & Evangelion] look to be sure things.

Clue 1: spoiler[Vandread]
Clue 2: spoiler[Gad Guard]
Clue 3: spoiler[Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo]
Clue 4: spoiler[Last Exile]
Clue 5: no idea
Clue 6: spoiler[Soul Eater]
Clue 7: spoiler[Evangelion Rebuild movies]
Clue 8: spoiler[Dokkoida?!]

I hope you're correct about Gankutsuou, Last Exile, and Vandread.

Of course, they also need to get Girls Bravo, Kannazuki No Miko, Bastard!!, Fushigi Yuugi (Considering that Solid Snake is in it), Fighting Spirit, L/R: Licensed by Royalty, Trigun, Serial Experiments Lain (I still need to get vol. 4, but if FUNi or someone else rescues it and does a cheap box set, I'll still be able to finish it), Gungrave, El Hazard, Samurai Champloo (I may already have it, but you still never want to see a show go out of print), DearS, and Chobits.

But why stop with former Geneon shows? There's also some old Manga Entertainment, Urban Vision, Tokyopop, and CPM titles that could use some rescuing.

You forgot Ai Yori Aoshi, Stellvia, X, and Haibane Renmei.

Oh, I forgot those! Thank you!

But let's not forget Armitage, Lupin, and Hanaukyo Maid Team.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry... I just can't buy Gad Guard.

you know why?

Cause I can't believe there are people who actually still care about it.

Normal show, normal robots, jazzy intro, that's all I remember. Had a release in like what? 03? 04?

and the way people are drawing the conclusion... Pulling the words from the clues? Like it's gonna blatantly be stuck in there. I just CAN'T buy Funimation wasting their time.

If they do license it... really, what a waste. Rather Than Spice and Wolf, they'd pick something like that. *rolls eyes*
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

you know why?

Normal show, normal robots, jazzy intro, that's all I remember. Had a release in like what? 03? 04?

and the way people are drawing the conclusion... Pulling the words from the clues? Like it's gonna blatantly be stuck in there. I just CAN'T buy Funimation wasting their time.

If they do license it... really, what a waste. Rather Than Spice and Wolf, they'd pick something like that. *rolls eyes*
For Better or for worse, Funimation can do as they damn well please these days.

That meens they can tell fansubers to stop fansubing Popular Show X and then leave it to rot whilst they release Generic Moe Show Y that was released in 02 by dead company Z again and they will keep going on thier merry way.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll have you know I'm waiting for FUNi to still release a box set for Moe-Show-Y (this case being Air TV).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I think they're just trying to complete their Gonzo collection.. or they had to pick up older stuff like Gad Guard as a condition for getting something new like Strike Witches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I think they're just trying to complete their Gonzo collection.. or they had to pick up older stuff like Gad Guard as a condition for getting something new like Strike Witches.

Yeah, but why bother announcing all of these rescues like they're something huge, new, or important. All of the rescues should have been merged into one day so like 15 people out there could go yay. Effectively they're only grabbing three new shows, which is all anyone cares about.

It's not like the DVDs for the other shows fell off the face of the earth, with any kind of googling you can find them. This is unlike those ADV rescues where ADV was in mid-production.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Yeah, but why bother announcing all of these rescues like they're something huge, new, or important. All of the rescues should have been merged into one day so like 15 people out there could go yay. Effectively they're only grabbing three new shows, which is all anyone cares about.

It's not like the DVDs for the other shows fell off the face of the earth, with any kind of googling you can find them. This is unlike those ADV rescues where ADV was in mid-production.

Aw, come on, people are having fun deciphering the clues and are happy that shows they will probably be rescued - why complain? I think it's a great thing.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Aw, come on, people are having fun deciphering the clues and are happy that shows they will probably be rescued - why complain? I think it's a great thing.
It's not Seto no Hanayome or Spice and Wolf for two things. Both of which Funi put time on fansubs of them geting released so they are expected to at least make good on that if they don't want to be seen as the attack dog of the japanese companies.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Because if like 6 or more of the HUGE BIG AWESOME SUPER SPECIAL LICENSES are just rescues, why make such a deal out of it? Rescues are matter-of-fact, licenses of new things means that more anime is coming, not just re-issues. We're all curious to see what's going to be licensed from 2008 besides just the obvious Soul Eater.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Because if like 6 or more of the HUGE BIG AWESOME SUPER SPECIAL LICENSES are just rescues, why make such a deal out of it? Rescues are matter-of-fact, licenses of new things means that more anime is coming, not just re-issues. We're all curious to see what's going to be licensed from 2008 besides just the obvious Soul Eater.

Because they probably thought it would get people more excited if the license announcement was this big event (10 days of licenses) so they threw in less exciting announcements with a couple big ones.

Not everyone is going to get what they wanted with these licenses. I know I certainly didn't.
bucklemyshoe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping for Persona Trinity Soul and Shuffle Memories.

(I know SM isn't likely but I can't see why P:TS shouldn't be)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
bucklemyshoe wrote:
I'm hoping for Persona Trinity Soul and Shuffle Memories.

(I know SM isn't likely but I can't see why P:TS shouldn't be)

Because Shuffle Memories is entirely a recap show except for episode 12. You'd be literally buying all the same scenes in season 1. It's entire existence is pointless, but if you wanted to see episode 12 legally, you'd still have to buy the rest of it, since the only possible way to sell it would be in a cheap, sub-only boxset, maybe dubbing episode 12 I suppose, or if you could take the dub tracks from season 1 and work them in to the recap episodes.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

you know why?

For Better or for worse, Funimation can do as they damn well please these days.

That meens they can tell fansubers to stop fansubing Popular Show X and then leave it to rot whilst they release Generic Moe Show Y that was released in 02 by dead company Z again and they will keep going on thier merry way.

Wow, what a complete ****ing waste.

It's not like I praise fansubs and think it's the only way to watch anime's but it does seem a bit cruel to do things like that, sitting on the licenses and whatnot... It's what Viz is supposedly doing, right?

w/e, it's their money and the buying audience will be composed of either the extremely few who haven't seen it and want to toss money away, people who never managed to finish their entire collection or the collector who ALSO has money to throw away, just to make sure they have everything available in america in their collection.

I don't care, really, but I'd soon buy a boxset for Spice and Wolf and Koihime Muso (Which they're supposedly had as well IIRC, albeit it's nothing special) than that older crap.

Have fun funimation, even if you release crap titles, as long as you really are getting Eva rebuild, I'll be happy.

...Just please use the ADV cast... Or at the least, Spike Spencer as Shinji.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Labbes wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

i don't know, i'd call OH! Edo Rocket a pretty good acquisition. it's by Madhouse, and it came out last year. not to mention the show's actually quite good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5