• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steins;Gate (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I rather enjoyed the first episode and didn't find it too confusing. Everything made perfect sense to me, and by that I mean I could follow what was happening, I just didn't know why or how it was happening. But "why/how" questions are ones I tend to be fairly patient with, especially since the show made it clear that I wasn't supposed to know those answers yet.

The biggest "what the heck just happened" moment in the first episode was when Okabe sent the text message and reality went all wonky and all the people disappeared for a moment. But by the end of that first episode, we learned that the text message he sent traveled to the past and altered the past, so to me at least, it became obvious that the strange reality hiccup was a side effect of the past being changed. Of course, I didn't know yet why or how Okabe was able to send a text message to the past, but as I said, questions like that are ones I don't demand immediate answers too.

I found that I was actually in something of a minority in my opinion on the first episode. Many others found it hard to follow or had other issues with it. I think a fair amount of them found themselves enjoying the show later on, I believe. And while I myself liked the first episode and thus didn't think the show made any drastic leap in quality, I would say that pretty much all of my favorite moments in the show (and there are a LOT of awesome moments) come later on, most of them a ways into the series.

As to what I like about the show, well, I really like the characters. Some people found Mayuri annoying, but I found her endearing, and generally liked all the characters. My favorite by far was Okabe, whom I found instantly enjoyable, but perhaps I have a soft spot for mad scientists and wannabe mad scientists. I would say that the characters of Ruka and Ferris weren't nearly as developed as the rest of the cast, and suffered for it, but I certainly didn't hate them, and they provided some amusing moments.

I enjoyed the comedy, and I enjoyed the mystery. The first part of Steins;Gate is something of a Sci-Fi mystery, as the characters try to figure out just what the heck the phone microwave is doing, how Okabe sent a text message to the past, how they are related, how time travel works, etc, and I enjoyed all this. Discovering this along with the characters was a lot of fun.

Later, I enjoyed the suspense. I won't give away spoilers, but as the series goes on there are some shifts in the focus of the series, and this leads to some extremely tense moments, as well as some extremely emotional moments. I would not have guessed either based on that. Episode 22 is probably one of my favorite anime episodes of all time, for reasons I would never have guessed based on the start.

Well, that's my experience with it.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:48 am Reply with quote
@frentymon - I actually really liked the first episode, and I loved the whole series, genuinely. I liked the dynamics, the combination of comedy, thriller, drama; all in all, it worked very well for me.

The first episode is a good intro, to be honest I also did not really understand everything that was going on- and throughout the series, there were quite a lot of moments where they lost me, but I guess that was also the point of the series too. If we had all the answers at the beginning, there would be no point in making the series, so it was quite cool to discover things as we went along. At any rate, I would give a few more episodes a go to see whether it is really not your thing.
Dhaos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
I don't like this show very much. I've gotten to episode 19, and can't wait to finally finish it.
Normally, I would have dropped it already much sooner, but since it was rated one of the best anime I kept going on, and now I wanna finish it, but men, I really can find only little motivation.
This is just my opinion, based on my taste. If I want I'll probably elaborate more when I'll have finished watching all the serie.
Defguru7777

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Finished this a few weeks ago before Crunchyroll took it down. I thought it was really good. It managed to be an anime about friendship without being to cliche or campy. I also thought it was a good science fiction and time travel anime, but I wonder if anyone else who's more versed in time travel fiction had any problems with it? I've seen a lot of people confused about some aspects of spoiler[Mayuri's death].

I really liked Okarin, who was able to pull of being a badass while still being a lovable goofball. My favorite moment was the last episode spoiler[where he managed to intimidate the guy even after being stabbed, then drawing more blood to make Kurisu's death more convincing. It really made me cringe, something a lot of other more violent anime don't make me do.]
MracY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Well, the anime was good, but as I read the VN beforehand it was relatively mediocre in my opinion.

I understand how horrible it is to fit a VN in just 24 episodes, and in the end the studio did fine in comparison to how other studios adapt VN's, but they really did cut lots of scenes, which caused character development to come to a relative standstill, except for the major developments. Too many details that are important for character building are left out.

It came to me that the messages that are supposed to be conveyed through some scenes were destroyed during the adaptation.

The first thing coming to mind is spoiler[the fight between Moeka and Okabe. In the anime it's over in like 5 minutes, but in the VN Okabe sits on top of her for hours (game time, not real time), and it's explicitly mentioned she's turned docile for a while since Okabe kissed her. She mindlessly eyes randomly around the room, as far as I can recall it.] Why would that be...? Isn't that a nice hint to her character?

Lots of things like this were left out. Whole conversations are turned into an exchange of sentences. Basically nobody gets the screentime they deserve, except Okabe. No, maybe even Okabe as well.

There's also the issue with how confusing the anime sometimes makes things in their rush, and the lack of explanation they give. In the VN the pseudo-theories behind time travel are explained extensively, where they are just skipped / skimmed in the anime.
I've actually seen people discuss the time travel aspect from a 'multiple world-line' perspective, even though it's established that multiple world-lines do not exist in the VN around episode 5.

The fact that the anime followed the true ending is good, but that also means that the viewer can't see the extra development in the routes.
Faris' route for example: spoiler[Some people complained how Okabe didn't just do something to make Faris' dad survive and retain the IBN at the same time. He does this in Faris' ending, and ends up at a completely different attractor field (Omega, -0.2*****%) where there's no time machine, and nobody knows him except Faris. This shows you that things aren't so simple, and Okabe should be careful as fudge.]

Suzuha's route for example: spoiler[Suzuha's route also explains Okabe's possible corruption, if he were to keep looping to keep everyone alive. ]
Rukako's route also brings out epic character development.

Here are links to the routes, and where they diverge:
Suzuha route: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkESEP5rVDU
Gotten if spoiler[Okabe chooses not to undo his D-mail that told him to detain Suzuha.
]

Faris route: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0uLMYzIwj4
Gotten if spoiler[Okabe chooses not to undo Faris' D-mail.]

Ruka route: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4qzx3q72xU&feature=related
Gotten if spoiler[Okabe chooses not to turn Ruka back into a man.]

They've still done a good job with the anime, it being as popular as it is. Still, anyone who has had trouble with lack of character development, clarity, balance of episodes etc. should check out the visual novel, or even the drama CD's, if they want more Steins;gate.

I'm pretty sure an unedited translation was released in September, and the full translation will be released in early 2012.

El.
Psy.
Congroo.[/spoiler]
Sebow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even gonna give any reason or rhyme to my, of course, self-entitled opinion, but seriously:

This is the greatest [expletive] anime that has ever been given legs to walk on.

And if you disagree then we may as well not discuss it, because our tastes basically differ so much that you may as well be from Micronesia, and I from Kepler-22b
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know the theme used at the end of 22 (before the credits)? Thank you.
hipnox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
My advice to all viewers:

Don't try to analyze the worldine traveling or look too deeply into how the SG universe works, you will be disappointed. Just go with it. if you don't, you'll find huge plotholes that could potentially ruin the series for you.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Some of us can analyze things to the degree we find plot holes and still enjoy them. I actually don't put that much stock in plot holes for ruining series. I have found almost nothing that doesn't have this unless it just isn't science fiction or fantasy.

Unfortunately your words do have truth for some. I read some guy on reddit that was complaining about a few inconsistencies and wanted answers for them and couldn't understand people giving a high rating to the series with those inconsistencies.

Nevermind the fact that there isn't one thing out there that exists without similar kinds of holes, particularly time-travel series.

If someone has a sci-fi or fantasy series that they think is fully consistent with no plot holes I'd like to hear about it. I'd watch it, but I bet it would have plenty of weaknesses in other areas.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
hipnox wrote:
My advice to all viewers:

Don't try to analyze the worldine traveling or look too deeply into how the SG universe works, you will be disappointed. Just go with it. if you don't, you'll find huge plotholes that could potentially ruin the series for you.

I think realism serves a lot of purpose in the entertainment medium but I don't understand people who get seriously hung up on the details. I think they just need to understand that what they hear, see, or read in a fiction piece is that some of the finer details are tweaked to serve the creator's purpose-and there's nothing wrong with that! They're not trying to get their piece published on the front cover of Nature or something, they are writing to entertain!

If the creator claims on the record that fiction is actually fact then I'd understand the reasons to be upset because now he's just blatantly trying to increase sales while lying. But other then that...like you said, people just need to run with it and forget about what they learned in college for a damn minute.
SomaRukido

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Who cares about the Plot Holes? Like Mad-Scientist from above, I didn't really have any trouble understanding the first few episodes, and my interest in the series only kept increasing. Just because there are plot holes it absolutely does not change the fact that this anime was spectacular, and one of the first "Masterpieces" on my list in a while...I really would like an English version of the visual novel!
Until Next time....
El, Psy, Congroo.
Arkov

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
Masakaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote
In theory it's the particle that gives the universe mass and holds it together. It would be considered the ultimate particle in the universe, which is why it's also called the God Particle.

Here, this should help out:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/large-hadron-collider/9372661/What-is-Higgs-Boson-the-God-Particle.html
Masakaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 25