• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know the name of that song in the latter half of the episode?

Anyways, I didn't really care about what happened with spoiler[No Head Dragon. They deserved it imo for what they were doing and what they were trying to do next. As if, they already did their damage during the Nine School Competition. I think Tatsuya might of went a bit overboard there though.]

The next arc will begin soon. I think there are just 8 episodes left in this series. Uh oh, I hope they don't rush anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

And I think that might have been the best episode yet, it was very well done. We saw that Tatsuya is not just an spoiler["awesome" guy with few emotions, but he extracted his wrath in mercilessly executing a room full of people, they were criminals but he had no intention of stopping even if they gave up.] This was good balancing characterisation that was a long time coming. Add into it a minor subplot of the spoiler[clan's ego, some explanation of criminal underground], and an excellent ball scene with music and dancing, and you have a climax. That line about it being the spoiler[last song as the ED music played] was perfect, as was the spoiler[shifting of the different girls Tatsuya danced with] and beautiful ego.

It felt like the best job they have done at portraying the characters beyond seeming mostly Garry Stu as we explored a bit.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I am more puzzled by the fact that criminal organizations are apparently gambling on high school tournaments.

because you are thinking it in the wrong direction. This is like you are puzzled by the fact that criminal organizations running illegal gambling on NCAA sports. This is probably bigger than NCAA football in the anime.

College sports are only big in US. High school sports are bigger than college in Asia and EU. Because all the top players turn pro after high school, only the good to average one continue to play in college.

Stark700 wrote:

The next arc will begin soon. I think there are just 8 episodes left in this series. Uh oh, I hope they don't rush anything.

The next act is very long, so there is no need to rush. 8 eps are more than enough.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Did Juumonji headbutt that one guy? He like used his barrier to ram them. That was hilarious.

What the heck did Tatsuya spoiler[do to those baddies? He like disintegrated them or something. And that dude coming out of cover out into the open to challenge Tatsuya was downright silly.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Did Juumonji headbutt that one guy? He like used his barrier to ram them. That was hilarious.

He had Phalanx set at his shoulder, actually, and used that to ram the other dudes. He had to put on a show, after all. Not only to appease the master clans but [in the novel] also to spoiler[send Tatsuya a message: "I'm stronger than you." Katsuto is one of the few people Tatsuya admits he can't defeat.]

Cam0 wrote:
What the heck did Tatsuya spoiler[do to those baddies? He like disintegrated them or something. And that dude coming out of cover out into the open to challenge Tatsuya was downright silly.]

He used spoiler[Mist Dispersion], which was explained briefly back in episode 11. Remember how he'd use a spell to make guns fall to pieces? spoiler[Imagine turning that against a human.]

Also, Crunchyroll goofed. It should be called spoiler[Demon's Right.]

So they've finally been upfront about Tatsuya's condition and now I can talk about it. As some of you have already guessed, spoiler[the experiments he went through robbed him of his emotions.] Though to be a bit more specific (it might get addressed later) spoiler[he can't experience strong emotions. We saw an example back when Mari told him Morisaki was joining the disciplinary committee of him being surprised, but he'd be incapable of being completely floored. He might feel a bit blue, but it'll never be brought to tears, etc.]

The only exception, as noted by in the episode, is spoiler[anything related to Miyuki. His one remaining emotion is his brotherly love for his sister. And it is strictly brotherly in nature, in case you were worried. As those gangsters learned the hard way, if you even think about harming Miyuki in any way, Tatsuya will end you.]

At this point "Tatsuya is awesome" is supposed to start becoming spoiler["Tatsuya is [expletive] scary."]

Preview for next episode is out, and it looks like they are jumping right into Yokohama. Which means we missed out on the spoiler[beach episode] and spoiler[the student council election.]
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Which means we missed out on the spoiler[beach episode] and spoiler[the student council election.]

Oh, woe is me. That sounded so interesting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Which means we missed out on the spoiler[beach episode] and spoiler[the student council election.]

Oh, woe is me. That sounded so interesting.

Don't you mean "awesome".

Just want to make sure that is known as a sarcastic awesome, to fit into line with the earlier comments on Tatsuya.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
Well, the former had spoiler[a confession] and the latter had spoiler[the vote to allow course 2 students onto the council or not that Mayumi promised in the first arc.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough I managed to enjoy the dance scene with that wonderful vocal song (likely to be released in the 2nd OST for anyone wondering). Taku sure knows how to use an orchestra.

Ichijo and Miyuki actually make a cute couple imo. He's alot more timid around her which makes them adorable. Of course Miyuki had to ruin it by staring at Tatsuya dancing with the other girls. At least Ichijo was so happy that he didn't notice.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

There was one more point in this episode where it managed to throw out an interesting song, making me think they have been wasting some potential some songs being rather uninteresting. What about that English? Some of the most fantastically bad Engrish I have heard in a while.

So that woman they were speaking to is spoiler[their step-mother]? A bit of a B, acting as if they spoiler[own him like some sort of property, not being happy that he pretty much created an amazing tool that would make the company stand out, and no credit]. Also, step aside Wolverine.

The episode seemed to imply some things were skipped, my thought is that they might have some OVAs later to cover them.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The episode seemed to imply some things were skipped, my thought is that they might have some OVAs later to cover them.

Like I said, they skipped an entire novel of side stories that covered their summer vacation. There's a beach chapter, Morikisaki, Eimi, and Masaki/George get their own spotlight chapters, and there's the student council election. The outcome of the last one we see in this episode with Azusa as the new president. They also had the vote to decide if course 2 students will be allowed on the council or not.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
i don't know why they want Miyuki to be the next family head. If Miyuki is the next head, it's just as good as giving Tatsuya all the power. According to the anime, Tatsuya and Miyuki are not even direct descendants the Yotsuba family because his family is not a Yotsuba.

I don't know why the Miyuki didn't like that idea. Just be the next head, you can do whatever you want.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
So Tatsuya was drafted to write a thesis on magic/technology that would completely change the word energy economy? That's pretty awesome. But what is the rest of the team he was drafted into supposed to do?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i don't know why they want Miyuki to be the next family head. If Miyuki is the next head, it's just as good as giving Tatsuya all the power. According to the anime, Tatsuya and Miyuki are not even direct descendants the Yotsuba family because his family is not a Yotsuba.

I don't know why the Miyuki didn't like that idea. Just be the next head, you can do whatever you want.

There are other candidates, but Miyuki is by far the most talented of them, hense she's the favourite to be chosen.

Tatsuya and Miyuki are direct descendants of the Yotsuba. Their mother, Miya, was married off outside the family (or did he marry in? I forget) because her sister Maya was chosen as the head. The siblings use their father's last name because their identities are supposed to be a secret. Even among the 10 master clans, the Yotsuba are particularly notorious.

Being made the head of such an organization would actually grant you less freedom since you're expected to run it properly. The added responsibility wouldn't give you time for anything else.

HaruhiToy wrote:
So Tatsuya was drafted to write a thesis on magic/technology that would completely change the word energy economy? That's pretty awesome. But what is the rest of the team he was drafted into supposed to do?

In case you're not being sarcastic, Tatsuya is just a sub-writer with Kei. Suzune is still the one doing the heavy lifting.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
So Miyuki likes to mess with Sayuri by openly flirting with Tatsuya?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 35