• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Supporting Character Tournament: Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Another thought occurred to me: do these prizes have to be from a Rightstuf or another U.S. online outlet? There are European branches of Amazon (for instance) that take payment online, and which would bypass customs entirely (ah, the EU single market, it's almost enough to make an old leftie Euroskeptic like me change sides). It would also significantly reduce shipping costs.

- abunai

That works as long as there's no problem with having billing and shipping addresses from different countries, which is the primary problem I've run into in the past. Retailers are understandably suspicious of such transactions, and so don't allow purchases like that. The problem arises if it seems like the purchase won't be a problem, and then we get to the ordering and the site decides it's a no-no, and I don't want to look like I'm changing the rules on the winner.

As of this edit, I have received 5 entries:
~~Epic~~
skylark
Ggultra2764 (you were the third to enter last time, too, heh)
Sea Lion
Beltane 70
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Finally submitted my entry, yay. Should be interesting to see what comes of this one, since I am unfamiliar with a lot of contestants (yet again).

Also I'm sad to see a lot of the contestants I do know up against each other in the first round. Nobu vs Streseman? WHY??? Sad
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a bit impressed that I was one of the first people to submit their entry. I was expecting a lot more people to have finished their brackets long before I did.
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Just sent off my bracket. I suppose only time will tell if I do well or not. However, I am not at all expecting to have a repeat of the last tournament. Even though it's a fun idea, best supporting character is very broad compared to the other tournaments we have said since we are not measuring a characteristic. Presence, rememberability, contribution to the show, and overall influence were the chief set of criteria that I used. A show's popularity did play a role, but I did advance one character from an older show made in 90's into the final four. Other factors such as relative difficulty of competition faced were also considered when I constructed my bracket.

Last edited by Olliff on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
mow123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
Preparation for this tournament has proved to be more difficult than the previous ones. I am a heck of lot less confident, and I happened to forget to copy and paste a running tally of the nominations. If anyone were to pm me these, I would be forever thankful. Probably won't have my brackets in until Monday at the earliest, mainly because I want to shoot for the top 3 again. Smile Hopefully, my predictions will be quality this time around and I won't vote against my picks like a fool because I forgot to save a copy of my bracket. I think I pretty much loss second place due to the this, but heck third is still solid.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Entrants so far (8):
~~Epic~~
skylark
Ggultra2764
Sea Lion
Beltane70
marie-antoinette
JesuOtaku
Olliff
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Wah... some of these later rounds are hard to guess. Hopefully have something by tonight.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I would love to vote on the best nomination but I'm not sure how to do it sadly, I personally nominated Sakae Jinnoouchi from Summer Wars. Can someone tell me what to do?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:
I would love to vote on the best nomination but I'm not sure how to do it sadly, I personally nominated Sakae Jinnoouchi from Summer Wars. Can someone tell me what to do?

Voting on nominations has finished, and the tournament proper hasn't started yet. When it does you'll quickly know, because usually the thread is "stickied" near the top. It should be up in a week or two, so relax.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Analog_Now wrote:

Voting on nominations has finished, and the tournament proper hasn't started yet. When it does you'll quickly know, because usually the thread is "stickied" near the top. It should be up in a week or two, so relax.

Alright thanks and I am relaxed don't worry about that.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia, are you noticing any trends with the brackets you have seen thus far? When the criteria is subjected to such a high level of subjectivity, it is inevitable that predictions for this tournament will be very varied. I would be surprised if there were many blowouts in the predictions in the later rounds.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'm betting up until rounds 2 or 3, there would a consensus on the winners for a couple of them. It's the later rounds where things like popularity, roles, person preference etc can go in any direction. For the last couple I basically just flipped a coin. Embarassed
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
The mini-game is up to 10 participants:
~~Epic~~
skylark
Ggultra2764
Sea Lion
Beltane70
marie-antoinette
JesuOtaku
Olliff
TG23
mow123

Olliff wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia, are you noticing any trends with the brackets you have seen thus far? When the criteria is subjected to such a high level of subjectivity, it is inevitable that predictions for this tournament will be very varied. I would be surprised if there were many blowouts in the predictions in the later rounds.

So far, the mini-game predictions show that people do seem to agree on what they think qualifies as a good character, and unless there are some drastic changes in thinking once the actual tournament starts, there probably won't be any big surprises in the later rounds. The harder predictions are probably the mid-level match-ups in the first and second rounds more than anything else.

Trends? There's enough variety in the characters and series that it's tough to pick anything out. The only trend I can see is that Key didn't really try to hide the number 1 seed in each quarter. Although disappointingly, Kuu doesn't seem to be fairing as well as I'd hoped.
Among the 10 submissions I've received so far, there are 6 different selections for ultimate winner. Of those, 3 are fairly obvious choices, 2 are still possible but somewhat less likely, and the last I think is a little questionable.

The biggest surprise, I think, is how one-sided the predictions for C-16 are, given how few people have seen either series. No, I take that back, the biggest surprise is another character from the same series as one of those two being predicted heavily over a character from a much more popular series (who has the most nominations of the three characters from that more popular series).
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised at who my winner turned out to be. If we'll still use "it's a main character" as an excuse during the tournament then I'll most likely do as bad as I did in the last minigame(which pretty much involved 0 research and popularity before anything else). And during a quick glance at wiki, I realized so many characters that would be considered part of the main cast, strictly speaking.
One single thing I'll definitely regret later is picking Balalaika instead of November 11. Oh, I'll definitely support November 11 when the time comes.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:45 am Reply with quote
I was not at all surprised to see who I wound up picking as the likely champion. It was a bit depressing to see that all the characters I had nominated wound up facing strong opposition in the very first round, with few likely to survive. Still, them's the breaks.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 27