• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation to Distribute Gungrave Anime for Geneon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:

I chuckled that you brought up Spice and Wolf...given that it has already been licensed and thus wouldn't even be "new" by your own definition. But these are "new," at least to Funimation.

I don't consider Spice and Wolf licensed. KPUSA can plaster it all over their walls, that doesn't mean much of anything to me, C&Ds don't mean anything to me either. S&W could either be a full-out license to FUNi (Shuffle, Karin in Geneon's case) or a KPUSA distribution deal of S&W (Haruhi, Lucky Star).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
I certainly enjoyed Gungrave. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm sure I wanted to get it at some point. I need to put that on a short list.

I'm still holding out hope the last one is a rescue for the second Lupin III television series.

(I'm not really, but given Funimation already licensing several Lupin titles, they might as well, right?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
So unless you like shounen, you're pretty much screwed. That makes me kind of sad...

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll like Last Exile, but the thing is... just like Gungrave, it's already on the market, and goes for super cheap. I dunno, anyone who liked those show most likely have them on their shelves by now.

I can't say I'm disappointed, because I wasn't holding my breath for anything really, but let's say I'm not impressed by the choices they made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
FUNi's pretty stupid this month. If they're gonna go to all that trouble for a Nightow property, why not at least get Trigun? The PS2 will be a has-been system by next year, so they should at least get an anime based off a next-gen game.

iheiskell:
Quote:
For US Nielsen VideoScan sales, Gungrave is in the Top 25 of all anime series in regards to DVD sales 2000-to date.

Emphasis on 25 and 2000.

Quote:

For months people wanted more Geneon back-catalog titles well....back.

I do, too. But I want good back-catalog titles. Rolling Eyes

penguin: Same here. But I imagine no one will pick up Lupin until that Hollywood movie gets off the ground.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
Very confused on this one...
1) All of the distribution deal titles do not say "Licensed by FUNimation on the bottom of the page.
2) The bottom of the FUNi Gungrave page says "Licensed by FUNimation"
3) But Gungrave is a distribution deal title? Huh?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:03 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
FUNi's pretty stupid this month. If they're gonna go to all that trouble for a Nightow property, why not at least get Trigun? The PS2 will be a has-been system by next year, so they should at least get an anime based off a next-gen game.

iheiskell:
Quote:
For US Nielsen VideoScan sales, Gungrave is in the Top 25 of all anime series in regards to DVD sales 2000-to date.

Emphasis on 25 and 2000.

Note the "...2000-to date." part. That means from 2000-2008, not just back then. Also, Tri-Gun is annoying emo-crap. Being as I have neither of these series, Gungrave is definitely the one I'd be more likely to buy, and probably will now.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:

I do, too. But I want good back-catalog titles. Rolling Eyes

And as my above statement probably shows, "good" is subjective, even as Lance pointed out. Just because the whiners on here don't seem to appreciate the majority of the licenses doesn't mean that these series won't sell once they're on the shelf and casual buyers see cheap boxsets of series that used to be near $200 for the complete boxsets or singles. Out of all these announcements so far, I've only had one and only not liked one, so this has been quite the year-end party for me. And honestly, I'm hoping tomorrow's announcement is Soul Eater. Eva can stand to wait a bit longer. It's been around over a decade, another few months/weeks won't hurt it.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
To the guy who posted about having another countdown, assuming you're actually a FUNi rep: um...that's nice that Gungrave sold so well, but old shows are nothing to get THAT excited over, even if this means some of them will be affordable to people who missed them the first time around. Was it really worth making some big fanfare-filled countdown if all we're getting is repackaged Gonzo/Geneon stuff for the most part?

[points to avatar title "Company Representative"]

Yes.

Tah-dah!

I think that is cause for celebration.

Lance
FUNimation's dude who answers other dude's questions on message boards.

*lol* You know Lance, I have to commend you on your sense of humor in putting up with rabble like us. Razz

Now, time for FUNimation to bring back Hand Maid May. Wink

So I'm "rabble" now? Haterade taste good?

No offense, but just because he's an anime company rep does not automatically put him "above" me or anyone else in any way.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

No offense, but just because he's an anime company rep does not automatically put him "above" me or anyone else in any way.

Why so serious? No sense of self-deprecating humor?
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
Yay! I won't have to pay 70$ for Gungrave and Gankutsuou! Thanks a lot Funimation, I couldn't care less whether you licensed it or only distribute it.
wormraper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Yay! I won't have to pay 70$ for Gungrave and Gankutsuou! Thanks a lot Funimation, I couldn't care less whether you licensed it or only distribute it.

Exactly!!! I would love Gungrave but don't want to be raped getting a used copy off of Ebay or Amazon Marketplace. I wish they would grab Fushigi Yugi and put that up for sale too. I love that series but the boxsets average about $60-$90 per season (and only 4 discs per season at that!!!!)

I don't get this whole pissed off nature that because it's not the newest thing in the world Funi's releases are all crap???? Anime goes out of print so easily that I'm so grateful for these old shows to come back. I would give my left nut to see Trigun re-released along with a few others like Samurai Champloo so I don't have to pay between $100-$200 per series :rolleyes:
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
OK, sorry for being pissy earlier, but it's a bit hard sometimes to detect sarcasm based on mere, you know, text.

It's not that FUNi sucks, or anything; I think everyone was expecting something a little more exciting than mostly re-issued versions of older shows. I mean it'll be nice to get some of these titles for all of a single Ulysses S. Grant, but when you make a year-end countdown of anime licenses and call it New Show A-Go-Go, um...the word "new" really applies only to 2, 3 of these licenses, and the rescues are a nice thought, but why didn't they have more that was actually all new?
Elisian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
What an extremely lame bunch of stuff to get excited about. Only like three of them are new. That's pretty annoying. I got all excited thinking maybe we'ld get some cool new stuff....not so much. The most I've got to look forward to is Nabari, and I'm not to excited there either. Sad
azudai45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
i'm pretty sure that the last one wil be Higurashi Kai. They sent me a c and d.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
For me, this entire countdown will be worth it if Evangelion 1.0 is announced tomorrow. I'm happy about some of the others, like Last Exile and Monte Cristo, but I've been waiting on Eva to be licensed since I heard they were making new movies.

Please, Funi, don't let us down. Very Happy
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
It seems a lot of people are pissy about this, but I'm quite happy.
Where I live the only way I could get Gungrave was by paying $30-$40 for the boxsets that include Trigun and Hellsing with it, or $100 for the complete box set.
And I'm glad they picked up Gankutsuou too, because a lot of people missed out on that fantastic series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8