• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: Anime's 6 Craziest Western Cameos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarielah

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
My favorite is still Isaac Newton. (I think he counts as a Western icon, okay.)

And anybody who's seen what he's in will know what anime I'm talking about. Although I suppose being spoiler[the main villain] stops him from being a cameo.
Yosuke Suzuki

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
hahaha,,yeah i remember Freddie from hillarious anime Cromartie Highschool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I have to say something about Primus' picture of Adolf Hitler. This is a guy that most Americans think is one of the greatest villains of all time. And I'm among those who believes that. This guy slaughtered millions in pursuit of power,including six million Jews,invaded countries,etc. He was a monstrous tyrant. Hitler is an icon all right. An icon of unrepentant evil and he deserves whatever scorn he gets.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I have to say something about Primus' picture of Adolf Hitler. This is a guy that most Americans think is one of the greatest villains of all time. And I'm among those who believes that. This guy slaughtered millions in pursuit of power,including six million Jews,invaded countries,etc. He was a monstrous tyrant. Hitler is an icon all right. An icon of unrepentant evil and he deserves whatever scorn he gets.

...you say that like there was any doubt
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
George W. Bush with the serial numbers barely rubbed off and two people almost resembling members of his cabinet showed up near the end of Speed Grapher. The English dub plays it up by giving the president a very broad Texas accent. Derisive amusement to be had by all.

I also recall Jimmy Carter appearing in an episode of the second Lupin III television series, although he sounds more like Bill Clinton in the Geneon English dub.

Shenl742 wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

...you say that like there was any doubt

Well, it's just one step from moe fan to Nazi apologist, you know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Konota (Lucky Star) bumping up against Tommy Lee Jones, riding on a train, was pretty crazy.

Not because of the scene itself, but I think this marked the 213rd anime series I've seen featuring TLJ.

The guy must be a huge star in Japan to be so immortalized in anime.
Smile
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
George W. Bush with the serial numbers barely rubbed off and two people almost resembling members of his cabinet showed up near the end of Speed Grapher. The English dub plays it up by giving the president a very broad Texas accent. Derisive amusement to be had by all.

I also recall Jimmy Carter appearing in an episode of the second Lupin III television series, although he sounds more like Bill Clinton in the Geneon English dub.

Derisive amusement at the expense of whoever happens to be president at the time seems to be something of an ongoing tradition in anime. R.O.D and R.O.D the TV both had an officially fictional president who looked awfully familiar turning out to be a cringing coward. And then there's the mayor of Stern Bild in Tiger & Bunny, the only Obama clone I've seen so far, although he's treated a little better than that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Stalin, Mao and the Holocaust's six million other victims say hi.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
Also missing are Cardinals Ximénez, Biggles, and Fang from Monty Python's "The Spanish Inquisition" sketches, who appear in episode 44 of Patlabor the Mobile Police (TV).
Vulpis

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Heh. I had to sign up just to point out that Daicon is pretty much a complete gimme anyway, being made for a general fan con. You point out the Darth Vader dueling sequence, but apparently missed the *other* appearances of Star Wars, Star Trek, Spiderman, and the Super Friends, among others. Though again, considering that the short was *built* around cameos in the first place (for both Daicon III and IV's videos), it's kind of a cheat to be putting it on this list--as someone else already said, the Colonel Sanders Zombie in A-ko would have been far more appropriate for the spot.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the cameos in the list and these comments are from comedy series. While not incorrect, its not exactly "crazy" to see famous people parodied in a comedy.

I'm surprised a cameo like the Willy Wonka look-alike from Shiki hasn't been mentioned yet. The show overall is pretty serious, then suddenly some guy dressed in a purple suit and hat with poofy orange hair and juggling candy bars is supposed to be a funeral director...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4