• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shakugan no Shana Anime in Development Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I wish the FTC was as caring about Microsoft or Intel as they are about Funimation in such a case... both of those reach far more people.
AnimeGirl3232

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
AnimeGirl3232 wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Hopefully the third season of Shana won't stink like season 2 did. I gave up on it after a mere 6 episodes.

Is this new Development in the Shakugan no Shana series going to be a season 3 or is it just that they are going to liensed season II in the US?

So u are saying that this new Development in the Shakugan no Shana series is a season 3
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
When you have one company who controls the market, in the way that Funi does, it not only stifles growth but it also affects price controls on anime DVD's.

A monopoly in the U.S. anime distribution would be a great thing.

Your fears of price gouging are unwarranted in this digital age. FUNimation would be incredibly foolish to think it can compete against 0 cost distribution, which is already causing headaches for them.

Alienate the rest of the fans, and FUNimation ceases to exist.

That being said, the speculation FUNimation would acquire the license is based on the distribution interaction with Geneon when it could no longer continue its business.

A few titles of Geneon anime remain available to this day thanks to FUNimation. As for me, I'm trying to get my hands on as many titles from Geneon as I can get before they're forever gone.
vega427

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Cool stuff! 3rd Shana and and more Nogizaka? That's great all around!
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Maybe this will be the initiative for someone (glares at FUNi) to release the second series.

And who cares about FUNi's 'anime monopoly?' The fact of the matter is that they release quality work. If they want to go ahead and licence 30 shows in a week, I say let them. Regardless of who distributes it, we are still going to watch it in the end.

Also, to the guy who commented on seeing a price raise on a DVD at their local Best Buy:
One thing you must know about Best Buy. It is not the best place to buy things (pun intended.) They are notorious for jacking their prices up on everything. Meaning something that you could order for $50 online would be like $80 at Best Buy.
AnimeGirl3232

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
vega427 wrote:
Cool stuff! 3rd Shana and and more Nogizaka? That's great all around!

so the new development is a season 3 of shakugan no shana right just to make sure that i am hearing this right
Senna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, it kind of makes me sad when announcements are put together like this -- half of the talkback is complaining about Funi (which has little to nothing to do with the actual article), and all I want to say is, Yay, more Nogizaka Haruka! The first season somehow managed to keep my interest with its cute romance and sincere characters, so I hope for the same from the second.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
A monopoly in the U.S. anime distribution would be a great thing.

You could reality-check that, you know; PAL-R4's been a monopoly for years.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm definitely excited to see that more Shakugan no Shana is on its way. I thought that both of the previous seasons were great (though the second one was a bit slow in the beginning) and I've highly anticipated more of it coming.

As for an R1 release of Shakugan no Shana Second (and eventually season 3), I don't really care who gets it as long as it retains the same dub cast. I hate it when casts change. If that means that Bandai gets it, then that means Bandai gets it. If that means that Funimation gets it and actually has Ocean Studios do the dub instead of themselves (they have occasionally outsourced dubs in order to retain casts - e.g. Tenchi Muyo), then that means Funimation gets it.

I think that it's great to have multiple anime studios out there who tend to use different people for their dubs (we get more variety that way), but I see no problem with Funimation at this point. If they can license lots of anime with good quality dubs and stay in business, I say more power to them. If what they're doing results in lower quality dubs or releases, then they need to relook at what they're doing. But, personally, I haven't seen any issues with their dubs thus far or the quality of their releases and they're obviously trying to cater to the fans and weather the changes in the market by releasing episodes in larger sets at a time instead of singles as well as making an effort to make them available online.

I think that it's quite sad that this thread has turned into a Funi-bashing session just because someone suggested that they should release Shakugan no Shana Second because they're currently distributing the first season. Funimation is doing a good job overall and I hope that they'll manage to make whatever changes are necessary to stay in business and still produce quality R1 releases of anime.

Shakugan no Shana is great and I'm looking forward to more of it. And while Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu is nowhere near as good, it's still a decent show and I'm looking forward to more of that as well.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and as to the light novels. Viz has the license and has released the first two novels, but by all appearances, they've given up on it. I really hope that either they start releasing it again or someone else who will release it - and release it consistently (which could very well be Yen Press) - will pick it up.

Unfortunately, however, light novels in general aren't released much here. They cost quite a bit more to translate than manga and almost certainly sell much worse - and that's not a good combination for a US publisher to be able to license and release them profitably. I fear that one of these days I'll actually have to spend the time to learn to read Japanese if I'm ever going to be able to read all of the various light novel series that I'm interested in.
larethian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
What's with this garbage about season 2 stinking? Did you guys really watch the full season 2?

When I first watched Shana 1, I thought it was ok overall but not super fantastic. I watched it only because of my favourite tsundere seiyuu.

But season 2 made me decide to go read the light novels! It was too super awesome! The whole story development was simply incredible!, with spoiler[ Yuuji becoming pretty powerful, armed with Blutsauger and threading onto the path of a spell caster, and his insight into battles is as usual stupendously sharp. His significance as a Mystes with Reiji Maigo; the origins of Reiji Maigo; the mystery behind the silver flame; the tatics Yuuji used against the Jaeger & Wanderer combo, and Sabrac, with the help of the 3 flame hazes are simply mind-blowing. And I love Sabrac as a super villian! ]. It is pretty foolish to judge season 2 based on the first few episodes making a light-hearted start into the season.

The series (when there is a season 3) will get darker and the plot will get thicker, if all goes according to the novels.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
larethian wrote:
What's with this garbage about season 2 stinking? Did you guys really watch the full season 2?

The beginning of season 2 was fairly slow without much in the way of major fights. So, if you're looking for big fights, the first part was a disappointment. It had lots of other good stuff going on, but not that much fighting. The second half, of course, spices things up quite a bit, and I definitely agree that the second season was excellent, but I think that a lot of people were disappointed by the beginning of the second season and either gave up on it or it tarnished their view of the season as a whole.

Also, a lot more of the stuff going on in season 2 - the fighting included - is intellectual. We find out more about how the world works and the fights generally involve more in the way of out-thinking the opponent than outright bashing them into the ground. I think that the result is very good, but if what you're looking for is straight up fighting without all the details of strategy and such, then there's considerably less of what you're looking for.

Personally, I think that the second season of Shakugan no Shana was awesome and I'm excited that more is on the way. I don't agree with those who think that the second season was poor, but I can kind of see where there coming from. Still, this announcement is definitely great news.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
People think an increase of $0.30 is highway robbery, but it's actually based on limiting explosive growth by offsetting the market increase per barrel. Had they truly increased the price of gas based on the increase, gas would increase to about $1 per gallon.

$1US per gallon is what you consider expensive? That's insanely cheap compared to what Australians pay for petrol.

Anyway, more on topic: I'm pleased to hear about more Shana being in the works.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Alienate the rest of the fans, and FUNimation ceases to exist.

A few titles of Geneon anime remain available to this day thanks to FUNimation. As for me, I'm trying to get my hands on as many titles from Geneon as I can get before they're forever gone.

That's why I've been snagging those Geneon titles from Right Stuf. They've been selling older Geneon titles for less than $10 for each DVD.

But, in the end, I think anime fans are going to end up seeing the real direction Funimation is going in. I just hope that ADV will make a come back and regain that market presence they had before, and sooner rather than later.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I love the Shana series. I thought it a better Bleach than Bleach (this was when I was only 20 episodes into Bleach, once it passed 60 with no end in sight, my interest evaporated). I own the Geneon singles, and the season set, just for the Ova's.

But I am worried about Funi getting it for a few reasons.
1. Ocean group dub - I am used to it, those are the characters to me, anything else would have immediate distaste to me.

2. Flimsy half season sets, sparse on extras. As others have stated, I have not noticed a video drop off on the 2 disc half season format, but Japanese audio certainly suffers (important for the openers and closers), and extra's are mighty sparse. I pity anyone who bought the Funi set of Pani Poni Dash, missing all the great extras of the singles.

3. Funimation overextension. The latest TRSI Funimation sale was a prime example - There was so much out there from them I had not seen, and yes the price per episode on a lot of their stuff EVEN WITH THE SALE is still uncomfortable to blind buy. They are rectifying by streaming, but crap, I already have such a backlog of dvds I have bought that I have even watched yet, plus rentals.... I don't have much TIME to stream. I blind bought the School Rumble ova, Baccano 3, 4, and Murder Princess all well under $20 a disc, passing on many sets.

I am bewildered by the choices they throw at me.
Whereas, I know I will pick up almost every Nozomi title release, and even most Media Blaster's (barring Dojin Work - still bitter about getting rooked on that) because I know I will not get burned, and receive good entertainment value for my money.

In closing, I will admit I might have a Shana complex, so the news of more content is certainly pleasing. But news of a Funimation pickup of the license is contingent on so many other pieces of info that I can not honestly root for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8