• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Astro Boy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm certainly excited for this movie, whether it's as true to the source material or not. Very Happy
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
I will probably rent this once it's out on DVD, not a big theater-goer...I actually enjoyed Speed Racer, probably for the main reason that I never watched the original, and since I've never experienced Astro Boy, I'll be looking at it without any a priori assumptions. Then again, I saw Dragon Ball Evolution expecting to hate it, and while it had little or nothing in common with the original source material, I was able to appreciate as more of an "inspired by the classic" thing instead of a slavish frame-by-frame copy. Like the new Star Trek movie, consider it an alternate timeline and move on...Although to contradict myself, I got to see the theatrical release of Evangelion 2.0, and walked out...Some changes are unforgivable, and that's all I'm saying on that...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
In case anybody cares, from Rottentomatoes:
Overall tomatometer: 47% (Rotten) with a 5.6/10 average rating.
Top Critics: 48% (still Rotten) with a 6.1/10 average rating.

And for what it's worth, Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars (out of 4):
"The movie contains less of its interesting story and more action and battle scenes than I would have preferred. Has market research discovered our children are all laboring with attention deficits and can only absorb so many story elements before brightly colored objects distract them with deafening combat? Still, "Astro Boy" is better than most of its recent competitors, such as "Monsters vs. Aliens" and "Kung Fu Panda.""
He also praised it for not resorting to 3D, which he considers an unnecessary gimmick, a waste of $3 extra and an annoyance with the glasses.

Comparable ratings for anime adaptations so far:
Dragonball Evolution: 13% with a 3.4/10 rating
Blood The Last Vampire: 20% with a 3.7/10 rating
Speed Racer: 36% with a 5/10 rating.
So it's the best so far, which maybe gives an inkling of hope for future adaptations.
Beruda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I checked out the trailer and was not impressed. When I saw Astro Boy in pants and a shirt I was pretty certain about what to expect. I might still see it but at a matinee only. I don't think it's worth $11.

B.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Weird. Something Awful liked it, and the site usually mocks anime fans.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Guess I won't be seeing this one. The presence of Kristen Bell had my interest piqued, but it's sad to hear that the movie turned out so mediocre.

Hardly anyone interested me at all! I guess when you're my age you want to expect the best out of a film made obviously for kids, and that's why you end up regretting the 8 or 9 bucks you came with in the end.

DaisakuKusama wrote:
After reading this review, here's a question: Why can't Imagi come up with their own characters and allow artists to develop new stories, instead of shoe-horning classic anime icons into generic, passable and overall WEAK versions of ideas that aren't theirs? Up next, watered-down Gatchaman and a kids-safe, non-threatening villain, to be followed by life-affirming Gigantor. No matter how well intentioned the films, they are still a bunch of grave robbers who are exploiting other creators' ideas for money. Sorry, guys. You won't be getting mine.

Especially robbing our childhoods with this trash.

alpha_beta_angel wrote:
Ah, so it's in the pile with the (mostly) recent Speed Racer adaptation I guess.

How I viewed that film too. It's an OK film and is quite acceptable to the mainstream with all they need, but some of us think it could've been better.

Quote:
As a fair majority of anime fans, I'm a "purist" of sorts and have avoided most of the "inspired by Tezuka's..." stuff. I just know if he were alive, he would of created a great film to appeal to anyone, I mean he loved Disney and held US family movies in high regard.

It seems to be a sad fate for anime-to-screen translations.

Quite true. Many of these post-Tezuka adaptations have been met with scrutiny on many sides.

eyeresist wrote:
I dunno. When I heard this film was out, I checked the few reviews that were online, and all of them, even the supposed fanboy reviews, showed a lack of familiarity with Astroboy and the work of Osamu Tezuka in general. They would say things like "the story is ripped off from Pinnochio and Frankenstein", "there is a jarring mix of pathos and comedy", and "the film has an overt moral message", and then conclude "If only they had stuck to the spirit of Osamu Tezuka's classic original". But these are the exact features of Osamu Tezuka's original work!

Reviewers think they know everything! I noticed some people thinking Dr. Tenma needed to be a baddie much like his 2003 anime incarnation, though I'd rather have a man who was conflicted by the whole matter not to know for sure if he was right or wrong in building a robot to replace his son anyway.

Quote:
Now, Zac points out some plot holes in the film's climax (plenty of anime movies have problematic plots), but the rest of his criticisms are too vague. He says the film is sanitized, but other reviews complain about the film's violence. Dialogue like "I guess fitting in when you're different from everyone else is harder to do than I thought!" would not have been out of place in the original works, or in the 1980s series at least. And describing a character as "oh-so-spunky-and-independent" is just being snide, especially as there are plenty of characters fitting that description in anime that is critically respected.

True. And Astro often had to keep questioning humanity's flaws many times as well.

Quote:
Now, from all these negative reactions, I don't doubt there is something sub-standard about this movie. I just can't tell what it is from these reviews. I guess I'll have to watch the movie after all....

Might as well, that way you too can have an opinion to share as I did!

Greboruri wrote:
Yeah, the whole movie was just rather dull. There is nothing in the film which makes it stand out from the multitude of CG features currently in cinemas here. "Up" is the obvious stand out amongst the current CG stuff. Having seen that film a couple weeks before "Astroboy", the main difference between them is that "Up" has real heart while Astro just seems so empty.

I loved that part of "Up" so well, and got teary-eyed in the first ten minutes at the story between the old man and his departed wife.

Quote:
It's like they were on autopilot making this film and just pulled out the most clichéd and dull dialogue and jokes they could find. Despite the fact it's currently the school holidays here (well I saw it on the very last day of the school holidays), including me there were only about nine people in the cinema including me.

Holidays huh? Too bad it isn't the case for us Americans where this film pretty much fell on a Friday, so we have the whole weekend to see how it goes.

Quote:
I did quite enjoy the film up to the point Astro ends up on the surface. The whole Metro City dumping their trashed robots onto the ground made me think of "Battle Angel Alita". The Tezuka and Hyoutan-Tsugi (Tezuka's pig/mushroom thingie) cameos were a bit too forced and happened too often, like the film makers were saying "Look, look, a Tezuaka reference!". I suppose it's not a bad film as such, it's just really mediocre. What disappoints me the most is that despite the great wealth of material they could have plundered from the manga, they chose instead a really tied and dull plot.

I kinda wish they found a good use for Shunsaku Ban (a.k.a. "Daddy Walrus") myself besides the couple cameo moments i the film. The fact they had Tezuka and the gourd piggies isn't enough, I wouldn't mind Acetylene Lamp and Rock showing up as well if that helps.

O-chan wrote:
After the horror that was Dragonball: Evolution I actually look very forward to this movie. It looks decent enough that I would not mind seeing it in theaters (I also thought Speed Racer was okay, not remarkable just watchable). American adaptations of anime seem to fall into the category of mediocre and I seriously don't think why we should expect more. The only time we get any respect is if it's Miyazaki and that's because those are backed by Disney. So at least this review indicates this movie will not want me to gouge my eyes out with a hot poker.

O-chan

At least you can see this wasn't anywhere near what DB:E became, and it seems to be up there with the Speed Racer flick in my book, so it's not a total waste. Just be thankful a live-action film based on a Ghibli film hasn't came to the minds of Hollywood execs. yet.

Tenchi wrote:
Then again, this past weekend, I was also underwhelmed by Where the Wild Things Are. Maybe movies based on children's picture books just aren't my thing.

The thought of prolonging that book into a movie kinda seemed fuzzy to me. I just don't think I would be in for that film anyway since the book was something I saw when I was 6 and that was it. Of course you do have fans of the book that had probably wanted this film for so long, this is their wish come true.

Levitz9 wrote:
Give them credit: they TRIED. They did way better than Dragonball Evolution. They just made something...average, I guess.

And because of that, we got a film that at least didn't go anywhere near what DB:E did to annoy the fans.

Quote:
I'm gonna go see it, if only because of Nicholas Cage as Dr. Tenma (for some reason, I find this to be a really good casting). I had convinced myself early on that worrying about how close it was to the source material was a moot point, and that ultimately, most of the people (read: MOST, not all) who would complain probably haven't even touched a Tezuka book in their lives. So, I'm gonna go watch it, and enjoy Nicholas Cage as Dr. Tenma.

And you will, I thought he did a terrific job on that character.

Quote:
Also: Why couldn't they just call the Peacemaker 'Pluto'? I think it would have been a bit cooler to throw in that "The World's Strongest Robots" reference. Otherwise, good job keeping in everyone else's names (Hameg, Elefun, Tenma).

Pluto would be nice too. It's also interesting how the names do shift from their originals to the ones we'd know in the English version such as Elefun (which is fine with me).

Quote:
As for Coran...well, a Zoran for the new generation?

Probably, I'm still wonder why she got left on the surface at all, a backstory we don't get a whole lot out of but needless to say I was still thinking that hours after watching the film.

Beruda wrote:
I checked out the trailer and was not impressed. When I saw Astro Boy in pants and a shirt I was pretty certain about what to expect. I might still see it but at a matinee only.

He does stay in clothes for most of the film. There's only one or two moments when he is in his usual state otherwise but they're very short.

Quote:
I don't think it's worth $11.

B.

At least I paid less than that (if it was $11 it would probably had been in 3D which thankfully it isn't, shame if the cinema you've gone to charges that kind of price tag).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I liked it for what it is, but I see the problem with it, and it's the exact opposite issue with A.I.: Too many sub-plots and characters crammed into a 90-minute cartoon. A.I.'s problem was trying to take the main story into different directions with no sense of purpose. AB has a purpose, but the director doesn't dwell on it long enough for it to matter. But in terms of potential, AB, along with Blood, is probably the best Hollywood anime/manga adaptation thus far. If both those films weren't trapped by the need to reach out to an audience which hasn't heard of the source material, they'd probably be more financially and artistically successful. But, considering some of the crappy adaptations Marvel was associated with until X-men, I still think, in that sense, these flicks are ahead of the game. And while they might be misfires, at least they're minor misfires, and not DB:E-style disasters. So I applaud the writers for at least respecting the source material, even if it wasn't an easy task.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah!
Screw you Mr. Critic man!
I'm gonna see Astro Boy!
I'm gonna watch it!
and you can't stop me!
So screw you Mr. Critic man!

Not really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4