• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-10-30]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Why couldn't Geneon just do season box sets from the beginning? What did they think was going to happen?
...which is probably a large part of why they collapsed.

IIRC, Geneon didn't "collapse" in the U.S. They were profitable when they closed their doors. The relatively new management or parent company decided they were not generating enough profit and closed the U.S. operation. Apparently, the amount of effort to them just wasn't worth it, or maybe they already saw numbers indicating that the market was rapidly declining. If so, they decided that rather than spend the money to figure out the new market and re-work the business model, as Funi has done, they would just get out.

Probably the right decision business-wise, but I sure would have liked to have all those incomplete franchises finished. As of now, I consider that Funi has abandoned all the Geneon franchises they eventually got and won't finish them.

Well, then they were going to. Either way, the end result was the same, and I'd say they weren't exactly doing well if they had to scramble to find someone to help them out and had to close production before they could get anything sorted out. Plus, I didn't say that they fell apart because of profits, I pointed out that they were caught with some not-so-great management decisions.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
pparker wrote:
IIRC, Geneon didn't "collapse" in the U.S.
Well, then they were going to...

Oh, certainly not saying they would have succeeded. Just saying that if Funi could take those licenses and (apparently) profitably re-release the titles in series and half-series boxes, then Geneon could have done the same and at less cost because they already had the licenses. That's assuming best case scenario--that they would be willing to match Funi's model.

When I look at my shelves and my favorites list, Geneon/Pioneer is far and away the winner for quality shows. Tastes vary of course. Next is ADV, but I'd say that's just odds based on the sheer volume. After that is Bandai. What I have from Funi is almost all license rescues, and few of those since I grab the previous full-size collector sets as soon as Funi re-releases drive the price down.

Geneon did do a lot of niche and low-popularity shows, so it's possible that even with their catalog they couldn't have maintained profitability, or regained it soon enough to satisfy Japanese management. But overall I suspect the pockets were deep enough that they could have re-organized and survived. It's common for businesses to operate at a loss for awhile when reinventing in response to major market changes. I just think it was more a cultural decision, not wanting to go the cheap release route, as well as purely a financial numbers issue. While they made mistakes as well (which I agree were likely Japanese, not U.S.), I don't put them in the same category as ADV for that aspect.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Geneon USA was way, way, way, way not profitable and hadn't been in years.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Okay. What I read, from a seemingly reputable source, was that they just weren't profitable enough to satisfy the new owners. Perhaps it was overall performance, not profit. Makes more sense if they weren't profitable. Of course, that would mean their own decisions were that much worse, since again they could have switched to the Funi model. Without a shonen cash cow, though, they still might not have survived the transition or made it to profitability.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Isn't it cheaper and faster to make FLCL style manga camera?

Hell no. Those infamous Manga-sequences were ground-breaking, using techniques that hadn't really been tested much (if at all) prior to the show's production. The sequences were incredibly expensive and time-consuming to make. And I cannot think of another Anime that has uses them despite FLCL being over nine years old.

Besides, as much as I absolutely adore the Manga-sequences, I watch Anime to see animation, not to see Manga on television. If I wanted Manga I would simply read a Manga. If I could find a single volume in my home city, that is . . .

How do you know it's expensive or not? Is it in a commentary? Do you have proof?

It's in the commentary for the box set (you know, the sort of thing you get when you actually *buy* DVDs), but I've also been told that by someone who worked on it.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

Okay. What I read, from a seemingly reputable source, was that they just weren't profitable enough to satisfy the new owners. Perhaps it was overall performance, not profit. Makes more sense if they weren't profitable. Of course, that would mean their own decisions were that much worse, since again they could have switched to the Funi model. Without a shonen cash cow, though, they still might not have survived the transition or made it to profitability.

Yeah, whoever told you that was feeding you a load of hooey.

But yes, my understanding is that they were -- like every other US company -- bound by rules that reflected the Japanese company's very lopsided understanding of the US market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4