• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Jin and the Dragonauts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Bamboo Blade get a shelf-worthy. Before I saw it, I had so many reservations because it had all the markings of typical harem moe fare - but when a kendo club friend recommended it, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a fun sports series without choking on the shonen-tournament formula that plagues other series and the female teammates moved past their apparent moe stereotypes. But then again, I'm probably biased, just like my love for Yawara and judo!

Also happen to see that not only is ANN reviewing Conan stuff, but it's not getting a Perishable! It's a guilty pleasure of my roommates and I. The characters are colorful and while the plot is thin to allow for the mystery-o-the-week (which itself is hit or miss) and the show's now seventeen-year life span, it still gets interesting. The movies are nice because, like you said, it's like a ninety minute episode with higher production values. Thanks for giving it a fair shot.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Erin, is it a policy not to mention the fact that Bamboo Blade is available for free streaming at Funimation's own website? I realize that the reviews are intended to encourage DVD sales of the "shelf-worthy" titles, but when the licensor offers the show in its entirety for free on its own site, shouldn't that deserve at least a mention? Especially since you consider price a criterion in your categorizations?

Erin wrote:
My participation in high school sports feeds directly into my love of sports anime and my ultimately high rating of Bamboo Blade.

I look forward to reading Erin's review of Cross Game should it ever become licensed in R1.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I mean c'mon! Sure sports anime have a certain "hot-blooded friendship conquers all" feeling to it, but you see one good sports anime, you've basically seen them all. Period.

...and I love them all!

dtm42 wrote:
If you want to watch a truly Shelf Worthy title, get your hands on Hikaru no Go any way you can.

Agreed.

dtm42 wrote:
Now, that might not sound like a lot, given the usual dismal quality of such works (Prince of Tennis, anyone?

I usually like sports anime, but I can't really watch Prince of Penis.

Otaking09 wrote:
Erin does have a couple of weird tastes, not to mention how she rates them in Shelf Life, but she does give credible points (for the most part), and I only wish this: That she review more each week! 3-4 a week isn't enough! And half of the time, there are no Shelf Worthy! Either watch more titles, or lower your standards! Very Happy

I can't watch more titles, my eyes are already bleeding.

AJtheFourth wrote:
Or, she'll go to the opposite end of the spectrum, becoming bitter and more strict. (Please don't Erin...

I promise to quit when I start becoming bitter.

Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Erin wrote:
I grew up in a time when sequels tended to suck.
To quote Derek Powers, "Do you have any idea how little that narrows it down?"

Specifically I think X-Men 2 and Terminator 2 really killed that rule... And the third Harry Potter movie is still the best one.

Blood- wrote:
That's just...insane.

Insane like a fox!

Takeyo wrote:
As far as extras are concerned, I can understand why a buyer would favor a set that includes them, but when there's only a single local version of a series available, is their presence or absence really a factor when determining whether a show is worth buying (I mean, isn't that why we call them, "extras")?

It's a factor if something is almost Shelf Worthy but not quite. The extras can really bump it up a shelf, like that DBZ box or Claymore.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Have we really all become this cheap.

I don't know where you live, but unemployment is in the double digits in the U.S.. I'm only making a fraction of what I earned in 2005, and I'll be lucky to hit that salary again in the next few years.

Takeyo wrote:
I'll not comment on the merits of Kodomo no Jikan, but I would certainly also put Baccano, Denno Coil, Gurren Lagann and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei on my personal "Shelf Worthy" list (and shake my fist impotently at the industry for the lack of R1 releases for two of those series). I have yet to see ef but it certainly looks like a winner.

I tend to agree! But I haven't seen the end of Denno Coil yet...

Takeyo wrote:
Sadly, I found Genshiken 2 to be a severe letdown and wouldn't recommend it to anyone who read the manga or enjoys watching anime subtitled (those Engrish episodes were like fingernails on the chalkboard inside my brain).

I think Genshiken 2 is Shelf Worthy.

Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I was about to point you to the corpse of Bandai Visual USA, but I think you qualified your point afterwards enough to where I actually agree and have a solid example. (although I still can not pull the trigger on the Wings of Honneamise blu ray at $39.... dang it! I think I might have just talked myself into it, wonderful movie)

I would actually buy that for $40, but I still don't have an HDTV and a Blu-ray player so...

yuna49 wrote:
Erin, is it a policy not to mention the fact that Bamboo Blade is available for free streaming at Funimation's own website?

Shocked I usually check that out, but I forgot this time. To my credit, I was reviewing the DVDs. Streaming shows get a different rating... I think Bamboo Blade is Stream Worthy for sure.

tasogarenootome wrote:
I'm happy to see Bamboo Blade get a shelf-worthy. Before I saw it, I had so many reservations because it had all the markings of typical harem moe fare - but when a kendo club friend recommended it, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a fun sports series without choking on the shonen-tournament formula that plagues other series and the female teammates moved past their apparent moe stereotypes. But then again, I'm probably biased, just like my love for Yawara and judo!

Exactly! It's a pleasant surprise. I liked it for all the reasons you listed. (Also I need to watch Yawara.)
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
I liked the shelves this week as well. Some did look weird though, with the three section shelving that had the middle part recessed. Do the sides open up? That would make the design have more sense. Otherwise it seems odd to have one part, especially the middle, at a shorter depth.

Btw, I'm curious as the to number of discs/titles on display. When I can afford to replace my cheap basic shelves, I wouldn't mind something like those, if they can hold everything of course Wink
jamesleung

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Bonus points for your Remington Steele reference. All you need now is a Moonlighting reference, and your column would reach the zenith of 80s television fandom. (Note: References to Small Wonder and Kidd Video will get you nowhere!)

I totally agree with your recommendation on Bamboo Blade. It's totally worth it on sale. I would wait for a Right Stuf mega sale or a special thin-pak complete series jam...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Takeyo wrote:
I'll not comment on the merits of Kodomo no Jikan, but I would certainly also put Baccano, Denno Coil, Gurren Lagann and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei on my personal "Shelf Worthy" list (and shake my fist impotently at the industry for the lack of R1 releases for two of those series). I have yet to see ef but it certainly looks like a winner.

I tend to agree! But I haven't seen the end of Denno Coil yet...

Doooo iiitttttt! That series needs so much more love.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Dragonauts was drek, and it had a character whom I wanted nothing more than for him to die - Jin's "friend" Kazuki. I also will state that it is nearly impossible to drive me to hate an anime character like that. Of course, I only wanted him to die because he was a fictional character - I wouldn't wish death on anyone. But Gawd, was Kazuki annoying!

I will definitely check out Bamboo Blade, and I am a Case Closed rube, so I will have to pick up the movie to go along with my series sets.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Have we really all become this cheap.

I don't know where you live, but unemployment is in the double digits in the U.S.. I'm only making a fraction of what I earned in 2005, and I'll be lucky to hit that salary again in the next few years.

Well using that rationale you might as well start reviewing fansubs/rips. Or at the very least making recommendations as to whether illegitimate or legal copies should be obtained. I mean if you are making half of what you were, then surely a person who is out of the job with no income is entitled to "free" down-loadable and burnable enjoyment of the same series. Especially if it's a pretty good series. Right?

But let's not kid ourselves and lose track as to what we are talking about here. This is not some HONNEAMISE title where you get an infinitesimal amount of minutes for a colossal price. Had this been a HONNEAMISE title that happened to be excellent I think the points you made in the review would have been very engaging and understandable. Ignoring standard discounts you're essentially talking about a "perceived" $10 price "gap" on a season box set. Besides ignoring the fact that prices have sharply decreased over the last two years, it begs the question, what is this gap and how big is it? The way I see it, if talking about FUNimation, there are two price points to look at. $49.98 the apparently acceptable price, and $59.98 the apparent archetype of what it means to be too expensive. Looking at just those two price points and only first edition releases we see that we have 19 titles at $59.98 and just eight titles at $49.98. The status quo is at the $59.98 mark, this price should surprise exactly nobody. It is not "pretty high" and statements like, "If you can find this on sale" (which most people accept to be greater than 25%) is just irresponsible. If it was really that important to you then you should have just said it was a rental. Actively telling people to get it cheap just promotes people to wait for bargain bins and burnable rips. If a positive review is supposed to advance a title, and negative review is supposed to diminish a title, then you're kind of contradicting the ranking of it being Shelf Worthy.

Pricepoints:
  • $49.98 (Case Closed, Dragonball season sets*, Dragonaut, El Cazador, Kenichi, Linbarrels of Iron, One Piece, Sands of Destruction)
  • $59.98 (Aquarion, Bamboo Blade, Big Windup!, Blassreiter, D.Gray-man, Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino, Heroic Age, Kaze No Stigma, Nabari No Ou, Negima 2, Ouran Highschool Host Club, RIN: Daughter of Mnemosyne, Romeo X Juliet, Shigurui: Death Frenzy, Slayers Season 4, Soul Eater, Spice and Wolf, Strike Witches, Tower of Druaga)
*Debatable, but I added it, otherwise it would be 7:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well using that rationale you might as well start reviewing fansubs/rips. Or at the very least making recommendations as to whether illegitimate or legal copies should be obtained. I mean if you are making half of what you were, then surely a person who is out of the job with no income is entitled to "free" down-loadable and burnable enjoyment of the same series. Especially if it's a pretty good series. Right?

Let's not go crazy here. In 2005 I was hitting up tons of Right Stuf sales and ADV three-day weekend sales with my disposable income. Last year I was unemployed for 6 months and underemployed for the other 6 - I can't reasonably hit up a sale. Not everyone is in my position.

Dargonxtc wrote:
there are two price points to look at. $49.98 the apparently acceptable price, and $59.98 the apparent archetype of what it means to be too expensive.

God, I hate math.

Alright, the price points I compared in the 10 minutes before I wrote the review were on amazon.com and rightstuf.com. Using their discounts, part 1 and 2 of Bamboo Blade are $52.49 each or $44.99 each, respectively. So you might pay between $90-$105 for the whole series. This is a series I might pay $60~$70 for if I was going to buy the whole thing. Maybe $80 if I really had money burning a hole in my pocket and I wasn't buying any manga that month... That's close enough to the total price point to be Shelf Worthy.

I wish there was some way to guarantee that my dollars translated into Japanese TV market demand. If it made a huge difference to Gonzo, I would buy these DVDs at a much higher price if I could somehow be assured that this meant that Japan produced more non-moe shows with well-written female characters like this one... even if they were only available streaming.
Rednal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
There's no way I would have paid the full price for Dragonaut. Fortunately for me, I was able to get both parts at some 60% off, which made it marginally tolerable as far as price goes, since I'll admit it's far from a perfect series. And yes, the storyline could have been better.

I admire the series for getting me to dislike Kazuki so much, though. I mean, he was a total jerk most of the time, and it's nice to have variety.

For the OVA bit's first half.... I'll be honest. I thought it was hilarious. It was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen (that's not inherently bad), doing a parody of what looked like more than a few series, and I think I'd actually watch it if they ever made a full series of it. Well, it might be less funny if it wasn't styled as an advertisement, but it was a lot of fun to watch all the same.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
The way I see it, if talking about FUNimation, there are two price points to look at. $49.98 the apparently acceptable price, and $59.98 the apparent archetype of what it means to be too expensive.

But there at least two more official price points.
Full season pricing at MSRP $69.98 from 9 to 14 months after the second half/singles end. Then Viridian pricing at MSRP $49.98 10 to 13 months after first complete box set. You can not ignore these when evaluating your individual Shelfworthy status. These are what are pretty much guaranteed to be coming, and given the rapid boxes of Baccano and Claymore, might be accelerating.

And this is not considering at all the Bargain bin.

It is tough to gauge, I would have paid full price for Ghost Hunt, but right after I rented the first half, it was already in the bin. Yet if I had blind bought Strain, Nabari no Ou, Kaze no Stigma, or Dragonauts, I would have been disappointed and felt that I had made unwise purchases. There are price points in my mind for those series, most at or below Viridian levels.

Take School Rumble. First Season Disc 1 came on 8/28/07 MSRP of $29.98. Disc 6 on 3/18/08 same MSRP. Full set on 8/12/08 at MSRP $69.98. Viridian pricing (with OVA) at $49.98 on 9/1/09.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I liked the shelves this week as well. Some did look weird though, with the three section shelving that had the middle part recessed. Do the sides open up? That would make the design have more sense. Otherwise it seems odd to have one part, especially the middle, at a shorter depth.

It looked like they were five sections in a U-shape, so you could slide the front parts to the middle and then would be able to get at the section behind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4