• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-02-10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Grandma Rosa is officially the best character. Please do a storyline where she single-handedly saves the anime industry, using freshly baked cookies. We all know she could.

I'll second that.

I think we've all been "Grandma Rose-d" at some point in our lives. It just goes to show you can't necessarily assume things about how others will react to your interests.
Pokedpoker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I'm just like Paola. Whenever I hear my parents coming to my room, I immediately turn off whatever anime I'm watching. It's too awkward to let your parents see what you're watching, that's what I believe.

Grandma Rose is awesome. "Why you no clean the dishes yet?!" Anime hyper
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I think the only line missing is "Oh, that girl looks really pretty!"

Wink

What?! No way. Grandma knows man. She knows. And that is what makes her awesome.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
Now I have a room covered in naughty anime posters, hug pillows laying around my room, and a too-hot-for-tv bedsheet tacked to the ceiling... somewhere along the line I dropped the ball HARD Anime hyper
Don't suppose we could see pics of this otaku lair of yours? It sounds awesome to me.

I've thought of submitting it to shelf life before, but the problem is that the shape and setup of my room requires me to do it by video, and I don't think Shelf Life allows video submissions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I've thought of submitting it to shelf life before, but the problem is that the shape and setup of my room requires me to do it by video, and I don't think Shelf Life allows video submissions.

So just take a lot of pictures instead. I'm sure certain people wouldn't mind, oh, thirty pictures just on the bedsheet alone . . . . . .
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Excellent comic Robin, the epic (or maybe not so epic) return of Grandma Rosa. I can totally relate to Paula and have several great stories.

Also, locking the door may actually cause much more harm than good in some cases. Think about it, why lock a door instead of just closing it? By locking a door, that might send out a message that your hiding something or doing something that you don't want anyone else to see.

I am going to quote a teacher I once had "If you have nothing to hide, is there any point in being secretive?" Now as a fellow anime watcher, I can understand wanting that simple privacy of wanting to watch a show without outside noise and distraction. But family members may not see it that way. Especially if their son or daughter is under the age of 18-20.

If the anime that is being watched isn't a hentai or otherwise "mature" show and you as the anime watcher want some alone time, tell your family members. This isn't foolproof, but some form of communication is better than none. I speak from experience here and lack of communication usually worsens any situation.

However, if the series is mature and family members are around, the best bet is to wait until they either leave or fall asleep. Because nothing is as awkward and embarrassing as having any family member walk in during that time. Even more so with grandparents.

Moral of the story, locking doors isn't usually the answer, but opening the line of communication and closing the door is. Some parents tend to think the worst when they see a locked door, so please remember to see the situation from their perspective.

But remember, if you have nothing at all hide, then in some cases, there isn't a need to lock a door when family is around.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

So just take a lot of pictures instead. I'm sure certain people wouldn't mind, oh, thirty pictures just on the bedsheet alone . . . . . .

Well, I also want the video for my own purposes, but I guess I can take an assload of pics, too. May have to put a few extra lamps in my room first lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I watch anime with my father all the time, its fun to watch with someone else (we watch action oriented series nothing like what Paola and Nina were watching) I've even watched a bit with my sister (Oban Star Racers, Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle). Paola's grandma seems like a cool person, the fact that someone so old can keep up witb the speed of subtitles is impressive! Very Happy
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
this has to be in my top five of my faviorate strips. taking a man love show and adding Grandma Rosa to the mix makes it classic.

I used to watch Sailor Moon when it was on TV as a kid and my mom though it was interesting and just let me be. How ever some kids as at school somehow found out and teased me for the rest of the school year. It did bother me but I kept watching it and before I knew it I was a fan and have a girlfriend who has the same passion for it as I do. Funny that those same kids in high school broke up with their significant others while we are still together. Very Happy
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Naughty naughty. Laughing Great comic Robin! Cool
konkonsn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
I was just laughing at the guy tearing his shirt in half, conveniently leaving some bare skin for his (dead?) boyfriend to stroke. It's like watching an episode of Yu Yu Hakusho. "Yup, there go their shirts again."

It always makes me a little teary-eyed when an older person is accepting of gay love, even if it's a comic strip. There just too many hateful people nowadays.
sena_h_dei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
I think I love Grandma Rosa.
Sticks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Robin... How did you copy my grandma in such detail???? Laughing

I mean it wasn't about anime, but she did interrupt me and my friends all the time. I loved her but she drove me nuts just walking in thinking we were up to no good... we kinda were, but still... Laughing

Awww memories Anime hyper .......... Wink
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Yaoi anime? Meh. That's nothing. I think Grandma Rosa used to go to Liberace concerts.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Haha Oh wow. I know how it feels.
When you want to watch your anime in peace, though you know your family might not approve. (doesnt even have to be hentai or anything, just stuff you know is awkward.) And then your mom or something comes in, and everything gets awkward.
"why does he do that?"
"But shouldnt she do this?" Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5