• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shiki (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:14 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
In episode 3 they pretty much confirmed that the entire western-house family is made of spoiler[vampires. They even give vague hints about who they're planning to "visit" next. This kind of kills the mystery even more. It will be very disappointing if this ends with a cliché confrontation between the villagers and vampires.]

In a way it reminded me a bit abour Dracula, in old vampire tales you first need to invite the vampire to your house, he cant just come over univited. I think there is a potential to the story. I have not read the manga, just skimmed through the second chapter and it looks that it follows it quite well.

I enjoy the atmosphere, although I have an overall impression that this is not gonna be my favourite series ever. And I am not too fond of the characters design, either, bu oh well, what can you do.

Oh, and the Nao character freaks me out. Is he supposed to be a sort of gender-trannsgressing individual? They certainly make him look like a transwerstite. I dont think his voice could not be more irritating.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote
I hope the pace starts to pick up a bit. And that "I don't want to be here" guy is starting to bug me. I really hope that Megumi comes back from that dead and sorts that irritating snot out.
Zork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm nowhere near a member of the medical profession, but it seems to me one way to treat anemia is to maybe give the victim a blood transfusion? I guess the town is so small they don't keep a blood supply on hand.

Also, the eyes of the vampire lady and little girl really freak me out, yet the characters in the show don't seem to notice the way they look at all.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
I'm nowhere near a member of the medical profession, but it seems to me one way to treat anemia is to maybe give the victim a blood transfusion? I guess the town is so small they don't keep a blood supply on hand.

Also, the eyes of the vampire lady and little girl really freak me out, yet the characters in the show don't seem to notice the way they look at all.

Well, a part of vampire's charm is that in peoples eyes he can look different than what he really is, I dont know this is supposed to be the case here. Besides quite a few other characters do looks quite peculiar (like Nao), so maybe vampires with black pupils are not the weirdest that can happen.

I am not sure whether transfusion solves the problem. I havd two anemic friends and none of them ever got a blood transfusion. It is one of the treatments available, but it is not applied in all cases, depedns on your condition and type of anemia I guess.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
ugh, it's really starting to dawn on me how much I hate the visual style in this anime (the character designs, mostly).

The only thing keeping me watching is the story, and that seems to be progressing at the pace of an elderly paraplegic up a hill.
ace-of-roses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
i read the manga and now i'm just waiting... for the episodes to come out... just waiting...
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
Wow. Episode 4 may have just lifted Shiki to number 1 anime series for 2010. I have not been that creeped out by vampires since I was a kid and watched the 1979 version of Salem's Lot. spoiler[Megumi always just outside Natsuno's window reminded me of the freaky vampire kid floating outside of the window in Salem's Lot. I still get chills thinking about the *scritch..scritch * on the window.] I also liked the round-table at the doctors office. spoiler[I laughed when the nurses were throwing out theories and the other doctors were just looking confused.] I'm not sure what's up with the little girl. spoiler[I know she is a vampire but she seems to be a little different from the others. I'm not sure if she's going to help the village or just act as a liaison for the other vampires. ] This series, while slow at times, is really telling a great story.
Renton_Thurston

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
The first two episodes just weren't doing it for me, the pace was way too slow. I was going to drop it, but then I watched episode 3 and it was great. I love the creepy family and the way they get "invited" to people's houses. Looks like this one might be good after all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
Isn't it nice, the guy get his own female version of spoiler[Edward, though it is probably as creepy in this as it should be staring at the object of affection continuosly while they sleep. Anyway the wholse scene of Megumi and the other guy entering the house was cool.]

And my theories for the one that looks like a little girl: spoiler[I think she is older then she looks, I theorise that one of the reasons they went to this town was that she may have been a fan of the priest's books. Probably baseless, but she might have also thought she had a conection to him or somethng.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
Oh God... those RROD-like eyes made me rofl. This series starts getting funnier, I think I might enjoy it after all. Still intrigued by the story, but damn, this needs a completely different approach to be creepy.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And my theories for the one that looks like a little girl: spoiler[I think she is older then she looks, I theorise that one of the reasons they went to this town was that she may have been a fan of the priest's books. Probably baseless, but she might have also thought she had a conection to him or somethng.]

Did she not say spoiler[that they came to the village exactly because of the priests writing? Well, the little girl is probably a few hundred years old from the look of it Smile]

They sure they their time with this anime, it still seems very slow, I cant really see any sort of speeding up since the first ep. Not that I mind, and I guess that might as well be one of the charms of the show if one is into this type of series. I think I will keep watching because I am kind of curious what will happen next, but I am still far from being thrilled.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Oh God... those RROD-like eyes made me rofl. This series starts getting funnier, I think I might enjoy it after all. Still intrigued by the story, but damn, this needs a completely different approach to be creepy.

LOL no matter where you go, it's a sign of 'death.' Very Happy

spoiler[that scene at the end of eppie 4 was absolutely amazing. Favorite scene in any recent animes I've seen Very Happy I just hope our poor purple haired protagonist pulls outta this one alive and 'anemia'-free Smile]

This series definitely moved up a notch or two with this episode.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Dear lord, one complaint about the slow pace after another. If you haven't noticed, up to now it's all about character development. True, there's a plot/story creeping up slowly from behind but that's definitely not any close to being the focus of the show thus far.
I recommend reading this post and at least try to understand what you're watching before whining about the same thing every episode (and no, this isn't personal, but more of a general message).

And yes, herspoiler[ father decided to come to the village because the books got him interested in the village "surrounded by death".]

As for me: ever thought what it'd be like to throw a pig inside the chocolate factory from that movie?
Exactly, I'm feasting on everything to my heart's content.

This is the first time in 5 years that I've experienced a single character who looks funny, creepy, cute, smart, playful, and cheerful altogether.

Last edited by egoist on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Miranox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
There's no rule that states psychological thrillers have to be slow paced. However, I suspect the problem here is how to adapt the novel properly. Novels tend to describe everything in detail, which would only take one picture to show. Ten pages might be only a few minutes long in an anime. My point is not every novel/manga translates well into anime form.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
There's no rule that states psychological thrillers have to be slow paced.

There's no rule that states psychological thrillers have to be fast paced.
Did you read the post I linked? I thought it explained quite well what I couldn't put into words since I don't know the original material.
If you want people to care about the characters on your work of fiction, you'll absolutely need character development first. And in case you're having trouble to spot it, the characters absolutely rely on what the spectator thinks of the characters spoiler[dying, coming back to life, attacking the villagers and causing a confrontation between those who became corpses and those who are still alive] (which is exactly what we saw by the end of this episode).You'll need the audience to care for the characters, and fast pace is nothing but eye candy at this point.

Quote:
My point is not every novel/manga translates well into anime form.

Irrelevant. This anime stands well on its own. Besides my desire to discuss anything with "source purists" equals zero these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 41