• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
My collection.

I don't really like cutesy girls or girls giving the viewer a "come-on" so all mine are in action mode, ie they're doing their own thing.

L to R.

Rin Tohsaka from Fate / Stay Night. One of my favourite female anime characters. Sadly, I have yet to see a figurine (and there's been many produced) that shows one of her memorable sardonic expressions. This is one of the better ones around otherwise.

Rider from the same show. Short-lived character in the series but that hair is uber-spectacular!

Mireille Bouquet from Noir. Discontinued figurine that I imported from a garage factory in Thailand that uses the old, original moulds. She's resin, not PVC, and I had to assemble and paint her. Despite the crappy quality of the manufacture and my indifferent painting ability she has come up well. She's also been smashed once (see the tragedies thread). I treasure this figurine - my favourite character and my favourite anime TV series.

Sabre Lily from Fate / Unlimited Codes. This photo doesn't do her justice. This is one extraordinarily beautiful figurine. It would want to be - she cost in the hundreds of Australian dollars. Worth every cent, though. (And no, I think Fate / Stay Night is a pretty mediocre series. Great character designs, however.)

Yami the Golden Darkness from (blush) To Love-Ru. The hair and the pose!

I clean them with a small paintbrush, dampened if necessary. That way I can clean all the delicate parts safely.

Last edited by Errinundra on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
I want that Mireille sooooo much. So jealous.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I want that Mireille sooooo much. So jealous.

Link

The quality isn't brilliant and you need superglue to assemble it. It's made out of resin, not plastic. There is no base and you have to organise your own eyes (I printed out an image of Mireille's eyes in colour in the appropriate size and glued them on.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
I'm new to the figure collecting scene so I only have a few. It certainly isn't a good hobby to have when shelf space is as limited as mine, but it is so addicting. One item I'm looking forward to is the Black Rock Shooter staue from Good Smile company coming out in a couple months. I wish I knew how to link pictures to my posts, because it is gorgeous.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
...I wish I knew how to link pictures to my posts, because it is gorgeous.

Hit the quote button for this post and you will see how it is done. I got the image location from the Good Smile site.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
That above figure is one of my personal favorites I own along with my Revy one. The detail work on that BRS figure is really really something. Even a nice picture like that doesn't do it justice, trust me. The only complaint I have is the gun does not fit into her hand anywhere. As in with some sort of peg or what not. It's completely free standing so you have to position it, and the chain, just right to get it to stay. Still totally worth it though.

And thanks for the link errinundra. I build some resin kits so I have proper model glue for it so no problem there. The eye thing however does concern me. I suck at that lol.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Someone mentioned keeping your figures in glass cases; does anyone know of a good place to buy them? My fiance is just starting his figure collection and he's obsessive-compulsive about dust, so he really needs one.
lkplkplkp3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
BrightxRingxFirefly wrote:
Someone mentioned keeping your figures in glass cases; does anyone know of a good place to buy them? My fiance is just starting his figure collection and he's obsessive-compulsive about dust, so he really needs one.
I personally wouldn't buy one online. I'd say just try stores like Target, Home Depot, Homegoods, and furniture stores. I wouldn't worry about it specifically being a figure case, read my earlier post for more details. You can read my ideas here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=133506&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Upon seeing this, my mind goes, "I must have this!" It is a great figure of one of my favorite girls, Alicia Melchiott, from one of my favorite games of this generation, Valkyria Chronicles. Of course, Japan has first dibs on it this December. I hope that it will find its way across the Pacific Ocean shortly after its release. It also comes with Hans, the honorary member of Squad 7. What more could you want (aside from the Alicia figure itself)?

When buying figures, do any of you pay attention to the company that makes it? The good companies that I know of at the moment are Kotobukiya and Good Smile Company.
lkplkplkp3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Upon seeing this, my mind goes, "I must have this!" It is a great figure of one of my favorite girls, Alicia Melchiott, from one of my favorite games of this generation, Valkyria Chronicles. Of course, Japan has first dibs on it this December. I hope that it will find its way across the Pacific Ocean shortly after its release. It also comes with Hans, the honorary member of Squad 7. What more could you want (aside from the Alicia figure itself)?

When buying figures, do any of you pay attention to the company that makes it? The good companies that I know of at the moment are Kotobukiya and Good Smile Company.
For statues? I like Megahouse, and Griffon is pretty cool.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I just spotted some (really quite basic) figures for around 200 yen. Yeah, I know, it's not the real figurine I should have, but a full-scale one would be too cumbersome. Does anyone know if the quality one there is... bearable? I mean, it looks ok, but since it's in a plastic bag in several pieces (yes, it's that low-level), I kind of think that it might not be the best choice... this is Japan though, they should have at least some degree of quality.

I'm having real trouble finding small figurines. Maybe they're all on order on online sites? There are some really good ones for Eva (only around 800 yen - for that price they're great), and One Piece, but I'm not really interested.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I just spotted some (really quite basic) figures for around 200 yen.
since it's in a plastic bag in several pieces (yes, it's that low-level), I kind of think that it might not be the best choice... this is Japan though, they should have at least some degree of quality.
Do you mean they're trading figures? I ask because the only figures I've ever gotten that "required assembly" were trading figs, which I wish I could've gotten for only ~200 yen (like $3 US, I think). Or, are you asking if they're bootlegs for that price?

P.S. A link to the items you're referencing would help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
In terms of favorite figure companies, I think Megahouse is excellent.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
[quote="poonk"]
Mister V wrote:
Do you mean they're trading figures? I ask because the only figures I've ever gotten that "required assembly" were trading figs, which I wish I could've gotten for only ~200 yen (like $3 US, I think). Or, are you asking if they're bootlegs for that price?

P.S. A link to the items you're referencing would help.

If by "trading figures" you mean those blind boxes where you don't know what you're going to get - no. These are sold in Akihabara in a small plastic bag - several parts that just fit together, about 7 cm tall. Granted, it's not the best model ever, but I've found myself an excellent Haruhi (for the price, it's got a cute face that I think is better than a lot of the bigger models, and even got some nice details on that E8-issue bikini). I'm not even sure if this is the kind of figure series that gets its own page on any maker's website or anything, but it does say "Bandai HGIF" on the label.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
If by "trading figures" you mean those blind boxes where you don't know what you're going to get - no. These are sold in Akihabara in a small plastic bag - several parts that just fit together, about 7 cm tall. Granted, it's not the best model ever, but I've found myself an excellent Haruhi (for the price, it's got a cute face that I think is better than a lot of the bigger models, and even got some nice details on that E8-issue bikini). I'm not even sure if this is the kind of figure series that gets its own page on any maker's website or anything, but it does say "Bandai HGIF" on the label.
Well, in theory they're bought in blindboxes and then you trade your unwanted/doubles with your friends (who of course got the one you really wanted). But I've never bought a trading figure blind myself-- the vendor (generally on eBay) had always peeked inside the cardboard box first to verify which character's "bag-o'-parts" was inside. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned-- I'd rather have the specific figure(s) I want with a non-pristine box than try to collect a 5-6 figure set through blind buying. I'm actually buying the Gintama STYLING daaaa!! series as whole, complete sets which the vendor obviously had to assemble themselves by cracking open a bunch of boxes.

P.S. Is this the Haruhi trading figure you're eyeing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 111