• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Removes Urban Vision Titles from Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Regardless, with Right Stuf's sales, they're pretty much unbeatable - especially when pre-orders are included in the sales, and they don't wait for your entire order to be ready before shipping any of it. Sometimes stuff is backordered for a painfully long time, and sometimes they don't ship it out all that quickly even though it's listed as "reserved for your order," but their prices are so good that it seems foolish to shop elsewhere. Things would probably ship faster if I didn't always choose free shipping, but the delays are well worth not having to pay for shipping...

Really? If its on Deepdiscount.com they'll match and make sure the price is lower and their shiping is always free unless you want to pay for quicker shipping. Instock actually means instock, too. With preorders they list the date.
otimus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
otimus wrote:

Wow! Their normal prices are now, at the very least now, comparable to Amazon.com! That's an impressive improvement! Still a bit too high, though. Let's just hope the terrible shipping times have changed for the better, too!

Really?
I used to shop Amazon, but with TRSI's "Got Anime discount (10% off those low prices you were looking at) plus their manufacturer sales such as the current TP sale which on top of the 25-40% off discount, one gets to add that 10%--
I've paid $6 for $10 manga for ages. I pay $27 for One Piece sets. Their weekly discounts can be half-off or better (I've seen HunterXHunter half off)

I can recall buying stuff back in the day, where one site would have a disc for $14ish, and Rightstuf would have it for $25-28.

The sales were always pretty good though. But that's why I stopped buying from them. Their normal prices were just flat out outrageous when you could go to some sort of site like deepdiscountdvd, or uhm, I forgot what this other one was called, and get some truly insane deals, back in the day. Long wait times, and a fancy catalog can't make up for the major amount of money saved on a few deals :/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
otimus wrote:

I can recall buying stuff back in the day, where one site would have a disc for $14ish, and Rightstuf would have it for $25-28.

The sales were always pretty good though. But that's why I stopped buying from them. Their normal prices were just flat out outrageous when you could go to some sort of site like deepdiscountdvd, or uhm, I forgot what this other one was called, and get some truly insane deals, back in the day. Long wait times, and a fancy catalog can't make up for the major amount of money saved on a few deals :/

I think that our pricing is pretty reasonable these days. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, and we have frequent sales and specials. You might check the site out and browse.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I want to thank those of you with the positive comments, as well of those whom have raised criticisms.

Everyone has a choice where they spend their hard-earned funds. I don't begrudge anyone for choosing either our store or others; the most important thing is that you're enjoying anime in general.

Our company has been around for a long time, and during that time, I am sure we have made our share of errors and missteps. Every company has their issues - they are staffed by humans, and as humans we are all prone to error. Systems aren't perfect either, and processes change over time. We learn from our errors, and work with our people to give them the ability and knowledge to provide good service.

If I can do something to help you or get you to check our store out, great. If you've had a problem in the past and I can encourage you to try again, I'm happy to do so. If you're happy buying from a competitor and they're giving you good service, then that's good too - they've earned your business. The point is for all of us to support our market as a whole.

Have a great weekend!
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
The only problem I have with right stuf is that they apparently don't accept Paypal.

And I was so close to that Panyo Panyo Digi Charat boxset.

We used to accept Paypal. However, Paypal's current terms of service do not allow customers to buy where a backorder situation might occur, and you cannot accept Paypal payments for adult products. What we have suggested is people use the Paypal-branded credit card to use Paypal to make payment for their orders.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
Regardless, with Right Stuf's sales, they're pretty much unbeatable - especially when pre-orders are included in the sales, and they don't wait for your entire order to be ready before shipping any of it. Sometimes stuff is backordered for a painfully long time, and sometimes they don't ship it out all that quickly even though it's listed as "reserved for your order," but their prices are so good that it seems foolish to shop elsewhere. Things would probably ship faster if I didn't always choose free shipping, but the delays are well worth not having to pay for shipping...

Really? If its on Deepdiscount.com they'll match and make sure the price is lower and their shiping is always free unless you want to pay for quicker shipping. Instock actually means instock, too. With preorders they list the date.

With typical Right Stuf sales and the membership discount, you get about 46% off of MSRP for DVD/BDs and 40% off of MSRP for manga. So, for instance, season 1, part 1 of One Piece would be $26.99, and the first volume of the manga would be $4.79. While at the moment, deepdiscount would sell those at $33.99 and $6.36 respectively. Even with one of their 20% off sales, deepdiscount's prices would still be higher. Granted, deepdiscount's normal DVD prices are generally better than Right Stuf's normal DVD prices (Right Stuff still wins on the manga though, even at normal prices), but as long as you're willing to wait for a sale, Right Stuf's prices are better.

So, unless you can talk deepdiscount into matching Right Stuf's sale prices, they won't match Right Stuf for price, let alone beat them. And as long as you buy $49 worth of stuff (which is pretty easy - especially when buying DVDs), you get free shipping from Right Stuf too. And since all of that applies to pre-orders as well (and they do list the release dates for pre-orders), you can just wait for the sale for a particular company to roll around and then order everything that you want to buy from them at once. Right Stuf typically has a sale for each of the bigger companies about 3 (maybe 4) times a year. Many of the others have sales a couple of times a year, and almost every company has a sale at least once a year. And for those that don't Right Stuf periodically has sales on all in stock items (albeit typically not as good a sale as they do for individual companies). So, for items from some companies, you're going to have to be pretty patient for, and a few may never end up in one of their 40% sales (like NIS America or Aniplex), but for the most part, as long as you're patient, you can get stuff really cheap. And with pre-orders included, it's not like you have to wait 3 to 4 months to get stuff (waiting for a sale) as long as you plan ahead.

At this point, I rarely buy any anime / manga unless I can get it for at least 46% off / 40% off MSRP, because I know that if I'm just a bit patient and plan ahead, I can get it that cheap at Right Stuf. And as annoying as backordered items can be, at least I know that I'll be getting them cheap, and in stock generally does mean in stock.

Really, pretty much the only complaint that I have about Right Stuf is the fact that their site doesn't play very well with tabbed browsing. If you're not careful, you can end up with multiple shopping carts (from it giving you multiple sessions). So, to play it safe, you have to browse their site with only one tab/window (though if you pay attention to the URLs and make sure that the session ID dosen't change, then you're okay). But that's minor compared to their fantastic prices.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Their packaging is pretty good, too. I've had shipments arrive from them that were in pretty bad shape but the contents were pristine, thanks to their layered packaging system.

I don't buy exclusively from TRSI, I'm also a RACS customer, sometimes Amazon, and occasionally eBay. But I will usually check them out before making a puchase from anyone, because sometimes you just can't beat them.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
otimus wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
otimus wrote:

Wow! Their normal prices are now, at the very least now, comparable to Amazon.com! That's an impressive improvement! Still a bit too high, though. Let's just hope the terrible shipping times have changed for the better, too!

Really?
I used to shop Amazon, but with TRSI's "Got Anime discount (10% off those low prices you were looking at) plus their manufacturer sales such as the current TP sale which on top of the 25-40% off discount, one gets to add that 10%--
I've paid $6 for $10 manga for ages. I pay $27 for One Piece sets. Their weekly discounts can be half-off or better (I've seen HunterXHunter half off)

.. Exactly.. these people's "unbeatible" should be at all time not once a year on items that MIGHT be on sale.
..an annology being, I can wait for a local store to go out of busniness (like a recent video store in my area) and hope they have anime or a game I may want, but there is no REAL gaurantee...
.. I buy things at or around time of release and I don't buy manga online unless extreme circumstances come my way, which isn't usual at all for me.. I'm picky about the condition the book is in and had bad experiences...

I learned a lesson on waiting around on stuff, too.. I missed getting a lot of what I wanted cause I waited...now companies are gone, stuff goes out of print due to lack of sales..so my collection is incomplete because I waited. So I buy the lowest price availible for preorder or at release.

On the rightstuf topic of "instock".. I've only gotten 1 "instock" item without waiting for over a month. But 1 out of 10 or whatever I actuall offically counted it was..is still only apx 10% versus the 100% I've had with deepdiscount and amazon and yes, even ebay has more of a possitve for me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:18 am Reply with quote
I know this thread is also Right Stuf-related, but I'd figure ANN would bother asking UV what the hell's that company's been up to since their last official anime release-The Professional Golgo 13. ANNCast idea, maybe? Wink
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Really, pretty much the only complaint that I have about Right Stuf is the fact that their site doesn't play very well with tabbed browsing. If you're not careful, you can end up with multiple shopping carts (from it giving you multiple sessions). So, to play it safe, you have to browse their site with only one tab/window (though if you pay attention to the URLs and make sure that the session ID dosen't change, then you're okay). But that's minor compared to their fantastic prices.

Have you had a problem with this recently? We have made changes to the back end to solve this problem, and I have heard little/no complaints about it since. Please drop me a note if you are still seeing this as an issue.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I know this thread is also Right Stuf-related, but I'd figure ANN would bother asking UV what the hell's that company's been up to since their last official anime release-The Professional Golgo 13. ANNCast idea, maybe? Wink

Wasn't UV's latest anime release the complete collection of Ninja Scroll TV?

Anyway, the two ANNCasts I've wanted to see were Anime Midstream and Urban Vision. Amazingly enough, Midstream is getting their episode within 24 hours or so and, oddly enough, it looks like the time to interview UV is now... Or next week, maybe.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
.. Exactly.. these people's "unbeatible" should be at all time not once a year on items that MIGHT be on sale.
..an annology being, I can wait for a local store to go out of busniness (like a recent video store in my area) and hope they have anime or a game I may want, but there is no REAL gaurantee...

I only buy on sale & often with a coupon. My 19 yr old is so fed up with that she often buys what she wants when she wants.
It has nothing to do with going out of business. You know the grocery store has sales every week, so one stocks up on what one can while it's on sale.I hate running out of something & having to pay full price, ut in particular fresh items don't keep. I noted when I threw meat in the slow cooker my carrots had died so I have to pick some carrots & celary up after work to top off the stew, but I have no illusion I would have gotten them cheaper during a sale.
Right Stuff's sales are CONSTANT. Usually the day one ends, the new one starts. The TP sale ends on 9/13, so I will check on Monday to see what's up next. Certain manufacturers are more often than others-Bandai seems to be further between while others like Funi are at least twice a year which usually allows for all the pre-ordering one needs. I still have pre-buys lined up from the last TP sale so this one covers any volumes even further out. Same with Viz-around the time the wave of pre-orders runs out, the next sale is here so I am able to keep them lined up & coming at $6 or $6.60 per volume (since some volumes are now $10.99)

Lady Multi wrote:
.. I buy things at or around time of release and I don't buy manga online unless extreme circumstances come my way, which isn't usual at all for me. I'm picky about the condition the book is in and had bad experiences...

The only damaged manga I've received from them is a Kare Kano which they exchanged.
The books come wrapped in brown paper & usually separate bundles inside a cardboard cushion that places an inch around the 4 sides with several layers of paper on bottom & top.
Lady Multi wrote:
I learned a lesson on waiting around on stuff, too.. I missed getting a lot of what I wanted cause I waited...now companies are gone, stuff goes out of print due to lack of sales..so my collection is incomplete because I waited. So I buy the lowest price availible for preorder or at release.

On the rightstuf topic of "instock".. I've only gotten 1 "instock" item without waiting for over a month. But 1 out of 10 or whatever I actuall offically counted it was..is still only apx 10% versus the 100% I've had with deepdiscount and amazon and yes, even ebay has more of a possitve for me.

I've shifted from after-the-fact to pre-buying almost everything for that reason so in-stock or not doesn't really apply. I'm pre-ordered on stuff thru March or so of next year. In stock doesn't matter to me as long as I get it sometime because I would only be placing an order after release if I didn't realize the item was released already or have decided after reading a review I want it.
If they get a bunch in, overloading my card unexpectedly (as in shipping a month early), they e-mail me so I can give them a different card
unready

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rhona Medina, director of sales at Urban Vision, later stated on Wednesday:
Quote:
Right now Urban Vision Entertainment has been going through restructuring our business model and operations. Given today's economic climate, physical distribution of goods has become riskier — just look at the companies that were devastated when Musicland threw it in. Thus, we've been working more towards broadcasting and online avenues of distribution — such as Amazon on Demand, Netflix, and YouTube.

When I read that, I'm reminded of this, specifically frame 2.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I wish Urban Vision would give us more Strange Dawn...Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
Geo: I'm referring to "new" releases on DVD, not re-hashes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5