• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The World God Only Knows (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
Westlo wrote:

Good god that quoted rant is ridic, I guess they should've added those scenes and cut down on Ayumi's screentime instead. I mean adding in the Ayumi scenes during Mio's arc would be much more easier than Keima backtalking his teacher and showing how smart he is. Those scenes couldn't possibly be included at any other time in the show whereas we can slot Ayumi falling over into the middle of any other arc in the show.

:?

How would two sentences seriously cut down Ayumi's screen time?

More like a minute. If they removed something else that poster would've bitched about that as well. And these removed things are brought up again several times...

They had to cover 60 pages for episode 1 and they threw in one of the Ayumi changes 4koma omakes when her sempai praises her at the end.

Episode 2 covered around 52 pages and didn't leave much out at all.

Episode 3 will cover 36 pages of material + possibly some of the Mio changes 4koma omakes.

Episode 4 is just covering 18 pages atm... though I'm sure chapter 17 will get combined with 6 + some padding.

The last two girls in the OP should take 2 episodes each, it's not until later that it gets longer than 4 chapters.. It's Jun who would be the 7th girl shown in the trailer who will get 3 episodes probably.. and that's for the April cour anyway.

As you can see removing stuff that will be mentioned again was the right move when you have a limited time frame to work with, they even got an extra 90 seconds for episode 1 by not showing the ending.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:00 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I decided to watch this show despite the Otaku premise. If I had to rate it so far I'd give it a Very Good, or roughly a 3.5/5 - 4/5.

The first episode wasn't nearly as bad as some people claimed.It managed to pack in quite a bit in such a short amount of time.

Second episode was pretty good too. Twist ending plus that hilarious bit with Keima's mother getting all badarse. I'd have to say that I thought the first episode was better.

Also good to see that the second season is already scheduled for next April.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure that I like this series as much as I originally did after episode 2. I went from loving it to being disappointed very quickly.

Sure, the mother freaking out was pretty funny, but I don't like the problems that it causes with the family's structure. I mean, the husband didn't have an affair and now he's going to take all the crap just because what's-her-face felt like being the sister character.

Also - I know it's nit picky, but the pink "boa" is starting to annoy me. Can other people see that thing or what?

I really don't care for the whole sister thing going on in the series and I hope that it lightens up a bit because it's just not interesting to me. I think it would have pleased me more if she came in as the "childhood friend character" rather than a "sister". But, that's neither here nor there.

Overall, it's ok. We'll see how episode 3 goes. It's the most enjoyable show out right now so I'm watching it. However, I am using more of my time to play catch up with Utena, Casshern Sins, and a few other things I started and never finished.

As for a second season... I think I had previously posted that I was excited about it. Now, I'm kinda dreading a second season because I know this season won't resolve much. *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
Sure, the mother freaking out was pretty funny, but I don't like the problems that it causes with the family's structure. I mean, the husband didn't have an affair and now he's going to take all the crap just because what's-her-face felt like being the sister character.

I think it was just a funnier way of doing "Dad is always away on business trips".

Quote:
Also - I know it's nit picky, but the pink "boa" is starting to annoy me. Can other people see that thing or what?

Yep. one of the future captures even spoiler[grabs it to make outfits out of it]

Quote:
I really don't care for the whole sister thing going on in the series and I hope that it lightens up a bit because it's just not interesting to me. I think it would have pleased me more if she came in as the "childhood friend character" rather than a "sister". But, that's neither here nor there.

Being his sister is the best way to do things.. since they're always together etc.. be harder to capture targets if they weren't "related". Bit harder to pick up when everyone already assumes you've got something going on...

Quote:
As for a second season... I think I had previously posted that I was excited about it. Now, I'm kinda dreading a second season because I know this season won't resolve much. *sigh*

I assure you the second season won't resolve much either,. Personally I'm hoping like hell the second season is two cours so they could at least finish @ Tenri/Diana which is the start of the big picture.

Chapter 116 and 117 (which just came out) seem to finally be really kicking things into gear storywise.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 3...it was a pretty good way to wrap up the Mio arc. It was nice to see that Katsuragi had a bit more of a challenge this time around. Hopefully that'll satisfy some of the nay-sayers who think his game logic should translate that well into reality.

The episode also managed to show that Katsuragi is starting to gain a little bit of appreciation for real girls as well, as he showed somewhat of a geniune interest in Mio's happiness.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
Good series so far but I hope it moves beyond the "Look! He got punched! So his virtual knowledge isn't 100% fool proof!" mechanic. Also definitely got the feeling that the rant in the beginning of the episode about how he'll stick to his virtual guns and at the ending preview were directed at us the viewer. But I'm guessing he'll eventually run into a situation where is gaming knowledge won't work and he'll have to rely on his instincts and that'll be the climax for the season. But a good series still. Nice execution, clean art, handful of laughs, and a interesting premise. Definitely has the makings and fittings of a harem series but shows signs that it'll be a bit more then that. How much more we'll have to wait and see. The bits of remorse and embarrassment from Katsuragi is a nice touch to contrast his pseudo-confident side.
DIP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Watching the first episode I thought it was an interesting concept, but I was disappointed that Ayumi forgets everything after they capture the loose soul. I mean that makes it much easier for him to do his thing.
It really could get dramatic if the girls wouldn't forget everything. The story really misses a chance here, it's all way to simple.

Also I would really like the OP song if it had japanese lyrics and not this terrible english, it makes me crinch.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
DIP wrote:
Watching the first episode I thought it was an interesting concept, but I was disappointed that Ayumi forgets everything after they capture the loose soul. I mean that makes it much easier for him to do his thing.
It really could get dramatic if the girls wouldn't forget everything. The story really misses a chance here, it's all way to simple.

Also I would really like the OP song if it had japanese lyrics and not this terrible english, it makes me crinch.

Well, while they do forget the exact moments, there's evidence that some feeling still linger in the girls. Actually, I'm glad they do forget the exact moments because if you didn't, you'd fall into the over used harem mechanic of "Oh, girl who likes him finds guy in awkward situation with another girl! Now 1) goes and cries with guy having the explain/redeem himself or 2) hits guy for being a 'pervert'" I find the whole "they may not remember but their hearts do" thing more interesting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Very much agree on the forgetting thing. Initially, I was feeling a bit squicky about the premise because I was thinking, "oh great, he's going to leave a trail of broken hearts behind him." That's not the kind of element I want in a light comedy. So I was quite relieved the girls don't remember being, uh, "conquered." Hey, they may just be 2D girls, but they have feelings, too!
DIP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
[/quote] Well, while they do forget the exact moments, there's evidence that some feeling still linger in the girls. Actually, I'm glad they do forget the exact moments because if you didn't, you'd fall into the over used harem mechanic of "Oh, girl who likes him finds guy in awkward situation with another girl! Now 1) goes and cries with guy having the explain/redeem himself or 2) hits guy for being a 'pervert'" I find the whole "they may not remember but their hearts do" thing more interesting.[/quote]

I haven't thought of that, I guess thats what would happen in a comedy show like this. If it was a serious show however it could get really heavy (like School Days).
Still I think it's a cheap way out of the whole problem if they just forget everything. Its like they write the story and see: "Hey, if he has to get another girl every other episode, what will the other girls say? Well, let's just say they forget everything, problem solved." It's just cheap.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
DIP wrote:
Still I think it's a cheap way out of the whole problem if they just forget everything. Its like they write the story and see: "Hey, if he has to get another girl every other episode, what will the other girls say? Well, let's just say they forget everything, problem solved." It's just cheap.

Lets just say the memory the girls have or don't have is now the key to what's currently going on in the manga.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Well right now, it does seem like a quick, easy mechanic but odds are the first episodes are more build up and the hints that each girl still hold some level of feelings for Katsuragi and the fact that while a "conqueror" if virtrual girls, he feels a bit of remorse or loneliness for the real girls; suggest that the story will go back those feelings once all the girls have been introduced. Granted I haven't read the manga so I'm just guessing and hanging on to the notication that if they bothered to include the girls into the intro and endings, the girls will have a bigger role to play outside of "girl of the week" roles. That's what I hope for anyways and I think that's what alot of use would like to see.

I have to say again though that I really do like the contrast of Katsuragi's virtual side and his real side. He's the king of date sims and conqueror of 2D girls so you'd intitally expect a bit of arrogance and we see his distain for real girls so you think that would carry over as he has to conquer real girls. But as he goes after the real girls, that expected arrogance doesn't show up outside of his executions of date sim scenarios and you see that he does fall for the girls a bit. And it's sad for him as well when those girls forget him for the most part.
sburstall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
I've just seen the first 2 episodes. I did like it. Nothing that's exciting to write home about...but it does add some humor to the day.

Anyways, a bit OT. Was it stated how many episodes this would be? I know ANN has 12 but will be as ongoing as the the manga or just do seasons as the source material continues (like Index).
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
And.... episode 4 saved this series!

Seriously, I was tired of that whiny brat.

Absolutely loved episode 4 and it would take me waaaaaaaaaaaay too long to list everything I loved about it and how it redeemed this series for me. All I have to say is, wow! I am very happy, amused, and absolutely delighted by this series. I hope episode 5 is just as energetic and enticing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was funny. It was a good way to take a break from Keima's "captures" without going too far off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 24